AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

setting up drawing area

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
patsyrwhatley
3836 Views, 6 Replies

setting up drawing area

I have set up the drawing area to Architectural units with default of 0'=1/16".  I cannot get the drawing area to approximate a real piece of paper drawing at 1/8"=1' scale.  When I input dimensions, the lines go way off the page.  I am unable to zoom in enough to fit the drawing.  I know that it must be some basic set up but I don't know what.  Can someone help me?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
rkmcswain
in reply to: patsyrwhatley
Message 3 of 7
maxim_k

Welcome to the Autodesk Forums!

Hi,

@patsyrwhatley wrote:

I have set up the drawing area to Architectural units with default of 0'=1/16".  I cannot get the drawing area to approximate a real piece of paper drawing at 1/8"=1' scale.  When I input dimensions, the lines go way off the page.  I am unable to zoom in enough to fit the drawing.  I know that it must be some basic set up but I don't know what.  Can someone help me?

It depends on how big is the model you want to draw and how big is sheet of paper you have set in the Layout.

For example if you set up US Letter sheet, than you will be able to see the model with real world dimensions 84'-6 1/4" x 64'-5 13/16" at 1/8"=1' scale inside viewport with maximum size on this sheet.

See attached drawing file (Layout 1)

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 4 of 7
patsyrwhatley
in reply to: maxim_k

As you can tell, I am brand new to this. So to get my image to fit to the screen, I need to format it In "Model" section or "page set up"?   The default seems to be Model which only allows me to draw as large as about 4'0" with the architectural setting.

Message 5 of 7
justshutup

@patsyrwhatley wrote:

As you can tell, I am brand new to this. So to get my image to fit to the screen, I need to format it In "Model" section or "page set up"?   The default seems to be Model which only allows me to draw as large as about 4'0" with the architectural setting.

It would benefit you immensely to take a class as well.

Message 6 of 7
maxim_k

As I said before:

It depends on how big is the model you want to draw and how big is sheet of paper you have set in the Layout.

For example if real-world units of your model are within 85'x65' square, than you need to setup Model space with LIMITS command in order to be able to use as much drawing area as you need.

After you set the limits you need to use ZOOM command with ALL option to see all drawing area within limits you specified:

Command: LIMITS
Reset Model space limits:
Specify lower left corner or [ON/OFF] <0'-0",0'-0">:
Specify upper right corner <1'-0",0'-9">: 85',65'
Command: z
ZOOM
Specify corner of window, enter a scale factor (nX or nXP), or
[All/Center/Dynamic/Extents/Previous/Scale/Window/Object] <real time>: All
Regenerating model.
Command:

Now you can start to draw in Model.

Next step is to use Page Setup Manager in Layout to setup paper size and create viewport with your proffered scale.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 7 of 7
patsyrwhatley
in reply to: maxim_k

That worked   Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost