AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save as dwt file dialogue does not work

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
alanfw
956 Views, 4 Replies

Save as dwt file dialogue does not work

I am unable to save .dwg files as a template. Following the procedure from the HELP system, all OK until click save, at which point nothing happens and am returned to the current drawing.

I have previously (with LT2014) saved a dwg file as a dwt file, so why not now with LT2015?

My current opening system is OS X Version 10.10.1.

HELP!!!!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
maxim_k
in reply to: alanfw

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!

Hi,

On Mavericks I don't have any troubles with saving file as template (DWT format).
I use menu File->Save As, than select .DWT in file format, this automatically brings me to the default drawing template folder, than I give the name to the template, than click OK in "Save As" dialog, than AutoCAD asks two additional questions:

Command: _saveas
Enter Template Measurement [English/Metric] <Metric>: M
Enter a template description:

Command:

I hit Return two times and the window title shows now the name of the template I just saved.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 5
Leaf.chai

@alanfw wrote:

I am unable to save .dwg files as a template. Following the procedure from the HELP system, all OK until click save, at which point nothing happens and am returned to the current drawing.

I have previously (with LT2014) saved a dwg file as a dwt file, so why not now with LT2015?

My current opening system is OS X Version 10.10.1.

HELP!!!!

Hi alanfw,

Thanks for connect with Autodesk!

First, AutoCAD for Windows and Mac doesn't have same process during save dwt. Mac using two command prompts Maxim mentioned instead of 'Save Template Options' Dialog. So you need press <ENTER> two more times to finish the save.

With above steps, I can't reproduce this issue on my 10.10.2. Can you clarify your file location when you select DWT as the drawing saved format?

Or is there any error message logged in Console?

Leaf Chai
AutoCAD QA Analyst

Message 4 of 5
alanfw
in reply to: Leaf.chai

Hi,

Thanks for following this up.

What was not apparent was how to enter english/metric and a description because, having clicked save in the window, there appeared to be no way of doing so, nor any error indication that the correct procedure had not been followed. It did not occur to me that the final two steps had to be completed on the Command Line. I have been saving .dwt files since LT20002, and not had to do this before.

The Help system does not make it clear that the last two steps have to be done on the Command Line. This so so illogical that if it has to be this way it should be made clear in BIG CAPITALS.

I note that if saving a .dtw file with the same file name and path as an exiting .dwt file (i.e. you are overwriting it to amend a template) a pop-up window appears to confirm this is what you want to do. It would be much simpler and more logical for the final two steps to be undertaken using a pop-up rather than the Command Line.

Incidentally, I do not understand why it is now necessary to define english/metric. Nor do I understand the benefit of giving a description as I have not be able to find a way to subsequently read that description when opening a new file from a template, which I am guessing is the point.

Anyway, thanks for responding to my plea for help. I now understand what to do, I just hope I can always remember.

Best wishes, alanfw
Message 5 of 5
grant.maceachern

WHY WHY WHY hide it in the command line. I figured this out a few months ago and promptly forgot. I just spend the last 45 minutes trying to figure this out. Thanks for posting this solution. Thank you. G

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost