AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save As Adobe PDF

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
strawberry12
911 Views, 7 Replies

Save As Adobe PDF

I've broached this subject before, but I just want to try a different angle...

We're trialing AutoCAD for Mac 2012, version F.51.M.57 (OS X 10.6.8)

There appears to be no ability to (automatically) append the Layout name to the filename when saving to Adobe PDF - and it's difficult to pinpoint whether this issue is down to a limitation within AutoCAD, Acrobat X Pro, or Apple themselves.

While browsing through online documentation I noticed that there have been two updates to AutoCAD for Mac 2012, both of which addressed some issues connected with printing. Unfortunately the documentation is no more explicit than that, so I cannot tell whether this issue was addressed. Nor can I tell whether our trial version included these updates!

Unfortunately, now that our trial has expired, I'm none the wiser - and in no position to make a purchasing decision as without this functionality the product is virtually useless to us.

So, I suppose my question is this; has Autodesk addressed this issue, or is there another process by which we can automate the creation of PDF files from AutoCAD drawings (on Mac OS X 10.6.8) with filenames of the format 'Drawing_Name_Layout_Name.pdf'?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
maxim_k
in reply to: strawberry12

Hi,

At first, I have to say that there there are no official Updates for AC 2012 for Mac (AFAIK) - only 3 Updates for AC 2011 for Mac.

About naming PDF output files - I think there is workaround here, but not for "Save as Adobe PDF" unfortunately.

If you will use Butch Publish feature and will save layouts to individual files (using publish to PDF), then AutoCAD automatically will create for you PDF files with 'Drawing_Name_Layout_Name.pdf' name.

Not sure why you want to use "Save as Adobe PDF" method for creation PDF files, I think that natural PDF output provided by Mac OS itself is rather good.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 8
strawberry12
in reply to: maxim_k

Thanks, I'll explore the Batch Plot options and report back.

>Not sure why you want to use "Save as Adobe PDF" method for creation PDF files, I think that natural PDF output provided by Mac OS itself is rather good.

My previous experience of non-Adobe solutions has been unsatisfactory. That said, I haven't really explored that option - because my focus was on the automation of file naming.

Thanks again

Message 4 of 8
strawberry12

Well, Batch Plot does seem to work - more or less...

It's still a tedious workflow:

1. Add open drawings

2. Remove all unwanted drawings/layouts from list

3. Select a predefined location (doesn't seem to allow relative paths - but I might be missing something)

4. Tick Create Individual PDFs per Layout

This creates a layout with a minus sign ('-') separating the drawing name from the layout. This is a shame because it's inconsistent with the output of our PC workflow, which creates a space (' ') between them, but maybe we can find a way of accommodating that.

Message 5 of 8
maxim_k

In order to shorten steps 1-2 you can open Quick View Drawings window, select individual Layout (with Shift or Command to add/remove), right-click and select Print... from context menu - this calls Batch Publish for 2 or more Layouts selected in Quick View.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 6 of 8
strawberry12
in reply to: maxim_k

So it'll work as long as I always print two layouts at the same time?

Does this not strike anyone else as daft!?!

Message 7 of 8
strawberry12

On a more positive note, the quality of the PDF created seems fine - although it's nearly twice the size as an identical PDF created using Acrobat!

Message 8 of 8
strawberry12

I almost wonder if the Mac's Automator utility could have resolved some of these issues. Unfortunately, it's very much foreign territory to me.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost