AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recover sv$ (autosave) files

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
dmccad
92369 Views, 12 Replies

Recover sv$ (autosave) files

How can I find the "tmp" folder where autocad allocates the autosave files so that I can recover one after a sudden crash?

I just can't find the folder in finder!

Thanx

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
maxim_k
in reply to: dmccad

Hi,

you can find "autosaved" files in "/private/tmp/", because tmp is just an alias (link) to this folder. Also note, that private folder is "hidden folder", so you have to enable Finder to show hidden files.

I think, that  it will be interesting for you to read this: Changing the Autosave File Location in AutoCAD for Mac

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 13
dmccad
in reply to: maxim_k

yeah, that helped. I changed the location of the temp files so I can access them easier...the problem now is that autocad crashes quite a lot... 😞

Message 4 of 13
crisahumada

I read the article you suggest, and was able to change the folder where my autosave files are saved, but i still can't find the tmp folder where my lost work may be... I enabled finder to show the hidden folders, but it wasn't enough...

HEEEELP PLEASE! 

Message 5 of 13
Rhea_Kelly1

In the windows explorer bar type %TEMP% and it will bring you to your temp folder. You will need to have hidden folders and files showing in Tools-> Options.

~ Rhea

Message 6 of 13
maxim_k
in reply to: Rhea_Kelly1

@Rhea_Kelly1 wrote:

In the windows explorer bar type %TEMP% and it will bring you to your temp folder. You will need to have hidden folders and files showing in Tools-> Options.

~ Rhea

Sorry, but here is Mac world - no Explorer, no Tools->Options...

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 7 of 13
Rhea_Kelly1

Well I came across this when I was looking up .sv$ files and im on Windows so it may help a non mac user in the future.

Message 8 of 13
Duncross

Is there anyway to recover the sv$ file if I never changed the autosave loaction from the default and I stupidly already restarted my computer? I just read somewhere that the temporary folder where AutoCAD dumps the sv$ automatically empties when the computer is restarted,

I've lost so much work because I didn't save my progress as I went like I should have... I'm sure the sv$ would be there waiting for me somewhere if I hadn't already rebooted.

Please tell me there is some way to get it back!

Message 9 of 13
maxim_k
in reply to: Duncross

Hi,

If you are using AutoCAD 2012 or 2013 for Mac, then look for your sv$ files in "~/Documents/Autodesk/Autosave/" folder (Documents folder inside your home folder)

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 10 of 13
hofeller

Hello all,

I've saved by mistake an older version of my project file over the new one - three weeks of work gone in a second..

i've trued looking for the .sv$ files in the autosave file, in the ~tmp folder (after enabeling hidden files) but without any succes i could only find the .sv$ of the files which are open

I need help here!!!

thanks

Hagay

Message 11 of 13
maxim_k
in reply to: hofeller

@hofeller wrote:

i've trued looking for the .sv$ files in the autosave file, in the ~tmp folder (after enabeling hidden files) but without any succes..

Hagay

If you are using AutoCAD 2012 or 2013 for Mac, then look for your sv$ files in "~/Documents/Autodesk/Autosave/" folder (Documents folder inside your home folder)

If you are using AC 2011, and there are no auto-saved files in "/private/tmp/" folder, then you loose them forever, because the contents of "/private/tmp/" folder erased on each system reboot.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 12 of 13
kathleenlucyann70

I have not logged out and I am on a university computer so i cannot show hidden files? how can i recover the file i was working on if i have saved before but not recently. when i open the file it does not recover it just goes to the old file. PC and 2014 edition

Message 13 of 13
maxim_k

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!

Hi,

Although it is AC for Mac forum let me try:
What do you see in Recover manager?
When you are trying to open your damaged file - does AutoCAD asks about Recover?
Or you just not saved file before closing it?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost