AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project and layuout properties in blocks

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1792 Views, 9 Replies

Project and layuout properties in blocks

I am trying to make a block that will show custom properties of the project and layout when it is droped onto a layout.  There is a cryptic page in the manual:

About Sheet Label Blocks and Callout Blocks

which suggests this should be possible.  It says this is done with attributes but is not clear how.  A button next to Default on the attribute definition page brings up the insert field menu but the custom properties are not visible in this environment.  The instructions mention placeholders,  There is an item ProjectPlaceholder and inside this type can be custom but under that it asks for a name which is blank.  Entering the name of a custom property here has no effect. (I get the name not the property value when it displays)

Is there some guide to this for the MAC version

Thanks

I have attached the insert field window I think is the place I should be using.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
maxim_k
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

Here are the steps for using custom Project and Layouts properties in blocks in the files inside Project (Sheet Set in PC version definition):

- Create or open existing Project. Add Layouts to it via Project Manager palette.

- Select Project Name in the Project list (1) Create Custom properties for Project (2) and Layouts (3) in Project Manager (you can not edit the name of the property after you create it, you can add new properties later, you can delete custom properties via right-click context menu in Project Manager):

Screen Shot 2015-01-01 at 23.17.29.png

- Later, when you open each Layout via Project manager, you will be able to change the default values for custom Layout properties, so they will be different for different Layouts in your Project.

Screen Shot 2015-01-01 at 23.56.45.png

- Create block with Attribute Definitions in it. You need to add attribute definitions OUTSIDE Block editor using ATTDEF command and than create block which will include these attribute definitions - that is because when you create (or edit) attribute definitions inside Block editor you can not use fields which contain Project related properties (YES, this appears as a BUG in AutoCAD for Mac). When creating Attribute Definition set the Field as default value of the attribute and set it as "Preset" in additional properties in order when you insert the block AutoCAD won't ask you about attribute values. To set custom Project property as the field use:

Screen Shot 2015-01-01 at 23.55.31.png

To set custom Layout property as the field use:

Screen Shot 2015-01-01 at 23.55.44.png

Now when you insert this block into the layout inside project the fields will be populated automatically according to the values you have in Project Manager for the current project and for particular Layout.

If you will change now one of the custom properties for the whole project or for the Layout - the changes will be reflected in all block insertions after you issue one of the commands which update Fields (such as QSAVE, PLOT, etc.)

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: maxim_k

Thanks very much.

I have everything working except the Layout property Layout name does not always update to the current layout.  It comes out with the value for an earlier layout.  I have tried save, qsave, regren and redraw.  None make it become current.  I did find that if I click on the item and select it and double click to get back to the field editor it knows the right value and if I save it is now correct.  I do have preset on FWIW.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

One other question:

I have a drawing that is attached to a project, the only way I know to change layout properties is via the Project Manager.

If I use the status bar to bring up the Show Drawings and Layouts window and duplicate a layout the new layout will not be in project manages so I cant change its properties.  Is there some way to attach a new layout to a project?

Thanks

Message 5 of 10
maxim_k

Hi,

Unfortunately you can not add single Layout from the drawing (no matter whether it is already in the current Project or not). It is limitation of Project manager feature in AutoCAD for Mac.
In AC for Mac you can only add ALL Layouts from the drawing via project Manager. So only one way to add Layout you created in the drawing is to use right-click context menu on the Project name in Project Manager,, select "Add Layout from Drawing", than choose your drawing and confirm duplicate and add option:

Than you need to delete Layouts you don't need in the Project (those that come from duplicate DWG file).

The drawback of this workaround is that you need to duplicate your DWG file and use it as additional file in the project.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

Thanks, that is the workaround I have been using.  Am I correct that if I add a layout using the right click menu there is no way to get it into the project?

About layouts in projects there seems to be some inconsistancy in whether a layout can be selected from the Project Manager.  I have two drawings one of which is a copy of the other and two projects one made using the other as a template.  In one case I can open layouts from Project Manager in the other I cannot.  Is it possible for a drawing to be only partialy attached to a project?

Message 7 of 10
maxim_k

@Anonymous wrote:

Am I correct that if I add a layout using the right click menu there is no way to get it into the project?

No this is not correct - as soon as you add Layout in Project Manager AutoCAD creates new drawing for you with Layout you asked and adds it to the current Project.

@Anonymous wrote:

Is it possible for a drawing to be only partialy attached to a project?

AutoCAD will add all layouts from the drawing (if you select "Add Layout from the drawing"), you can not select which Layout to add as in Windows version. Later you can remove unnecessary layout(s) from the Project.

Maxim 

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Thanks

When you say Autocad creates a new drawing do you mean it actualy creates a new file so edits in one no longer reflect in the other?

I was unclear when I asked about a drawing being partialy connected to a project.  I know all the layouts get into the project what I am not clear about is why I can open layouts from Project manager for some projects but not others, its as though the connection between projects and drawings has different degrees.

Message 9 of 10
maxim_k

@Anonymous wrote:

When you say Autocad creates a new drawing do you mean it actualy creates a new file so edits in one no longer reflect in the other?

If you add Layout to the Project by using "New layout" from the context menu (right-click on Project name):

Screen Shot 2015-01-03 at 09.51.45.png

Yes, AutoCAD creates new drawing based on the template you specify in this dialog:

Screen Shot 2015-01-03 at 09.55.29.png

@Anonymous wrote:

...I am not clear about is why I can open layouts from Project manager for some projects but not others, its as though the connection between projects and drawings has different degrees.

You can not open Layouts from the drawings in the Project when:

- layout was created in the drawing attached to the Project AFTER you attached this drawing to the Project

- layout in the drawing attached to the Project was not initialized at the moment when you added it to the Project. Initializing means that you need to open the layout in the drawing at least one time.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

I really appreciate your taking time to instruct new users.

If I am understanding projects it is a different way of managing layouts than keeping them all in one drawing.  It sounds like if I start with a project and use the projects window to add layouts I get each one as its own dwg file.  If this is so how can I have two layouts that are different views of the same model?

The workflow I have in mind is to have all the layouts for a job in one dwg file since all of them that have viewports are viewing the same model.  I created a project for a job when I learned that user properties could only be defined in projects not in drawings that were not members of projects.

At the moment I am using the folowing workflow which seems to work.

1) To start a new job I copy the drawing of an existing project using finder and give it a new name.

2) I use the + button in Project Manager to create a new project using the project associated with the drawing as the template.

3) I use the + button to add existing drawing to the new project and select the copy of the old project drawing.

This seems to work although if there is a better way of managing projects I would like to know.

What is concerning me is that having done the above somtimes I can select a layout from the open command on the list of layouts in Project Manager (i.e. by double clicking on it) but somtimes I cannot and must use the list of layouts that drops down from the status bar to switch between layouts.  I don't know if this is a bug or I am tripping some state where this does not work.  This is what I meant be a project and drawing being partialy connected.

There are two other things that happen somtimes that might be bugs or might be me not unerstanding options:

1) Somtimes when I open a layout on a project the first time after starting Autocad the Project Manager disapears. The window menu still shows it clicked and command-8 will not bring it back.  The only way to see the Project Manager again is to open it from the file menu.

2) Sometimes when I start Autocad the windows that were checked do not come back, I thought Autocad remembered what was open when it was last closed.

Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost