AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with linetype in Layers

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
frdebelo
4916 Views, 4 Replies

Problems with linetype in Layers

New to autocad.

Autocad 12 for Mac.

I setup several layers, each with a different color and line type. real simple, just like the book.

I select the first layer in the Layers pallet 

the color changes and the line type is continuous.

i select the second layer, and the color changes

but the line type remains continuoius; when linetype was created, it was set to hidden.

i change the linetype in the properties inspector to hidden for the second layer.

i select the third line type that was set to center linetype, but now the properties inspector says line type is 'hidden'

any layer i select shows line type as hidden now.

In the 'show layer list' when i select a different layer, the properties inspector displays the correct line type.

but when i select in the layers pallet, the line type does not change.

i exit autocad and start over, but same thing. 

am i doint something wrong????

Francis

don't konw what to look for???

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
maxim_k
in reply to: frdebelo

Welcome to the Autodesk Forums!

Hi,

There are two tabs in Properties Inspector: one for current properties and other for Layer properties. In order to be able to create objects with properties defined in current Layer, you have to switch to Current tab in Properties Inspector and set all properties (including Linetype) to BYLAYER. You also have to ensure that nothing is selected in the Drawing area before setting Current properties.

Now you can set Linetype for particular Layer by selecting it in Layer list in the Layer palette and switching to Layer properties tab in Properties Inspector.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 5
frdebelo
in reply to: maxim_k

Appreciate the reply;

Followed your instructions but line type will not change.
i have changed the line weight and it works correctly, changes when i change the layer.

line type will not change. What ever the line type was for the previous layer, is the line type for the new layer.

i created a new layer with a phantom line type, shows fine in layer properties but when i select the layer, current properties is not the same.

Thank you for your help anyway.

Francis
Message 4 of 5
maxim_k

Hi Francis,

Try this:
- ensure that nothing selected in drawing area,
- in Properties inspector switch to Current properties and verify that all properties ( linetype, color, lineweight ...) are set BYLAYER,
- in Layers palette expand Layers list (not drop down list)
- right click on the Layers list caption (where you see Name, Lock, color, etc.), from context menu check mark Linetype in order to show this property in Layers list
- now check Linetype settings for each layer you have in the drawing: check it in layers list, not in Prop Inspector. When you pick on Linetype in layers list- you should see dropdown list with loaded line types.
- now try to switch layers and check how it works.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 5 of 5
frdebelo

That will work.

Makes sense now.

Thanks again for the help.

Francis

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost