AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

printing to a pdf file

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
356 Views, 3 Replies

printing to a pdf file

I recently switched from AutoCAD LT 2007 for Windows 7and XP to AutoCAD LT 2013 on my MAC.  With 2007, I had been using the built-in DWG to PFD pc3 virtual "printer" to create PDF's to email to others.  Now, I use the print to PDF file function in the print dialog box on my MAC.  My problem/question is: why are the PDF files +/- 10 times the size when created on the MAC?  They are too big to email to clients and consultants.  For example, the exact same drawing plotted to PDF on v.2007 is 201KB and v.2013 on the MAC creates a 1.9 MB PDF file.  I need smaller PDF files.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
maxim_k
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

That is because of:

- AutoCAD for Mac uses Mac OS PDF engine, when creating PDF files

- AutoCAD for Mac converts all text in the drawing to vector lines and fills, when you save to PDF (Windows version leaves Text as text inside PDF files)

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Wow!  Anyway to avoid that?  Are there other drivers available for converting DWG's to PDF?

Message 4 of 4
maxim_k

The only one workaround I know (except using Win version of AutoCAD in VM or Boot Camp) is to use AutoCAD WS printing capabilities, but you are limited in standard paper sizes in tis case, have to print (read - save to PDF) only from well organized Layouts to avoid scale issues in output.

When using AutoCAD WS (WEB version) you will get smaller PDF file size.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost