AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing/ plotting and previewing

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
changonz
1289 Views, 8 Replies

Printing/ plotting and previewing

I recently installed AutoCad for Mac 2013 on my MacBook Pro. I have version Mac OS X 10.6.8

So far Autocad itself runs smoothly. However, I cannot print/ plot nor preview to print. When I go to print the screen does absolutely nothing (the program does not freeze nor shut down). The same for when I try to print preview. 

I have been getting around this by exporting my files to pdf and printing the pdf. However, this only works about 50% of the time. Sometimes it appears to export and the pdf is no where to be found. Also, with exporting to pdf, sometimes the format shifts (even after setting it to scale and printing extents) and part of my design is no longer visible on the pdf.

Can anyone offer suggestions to how to print? Do I need a different version of AutoCad or lion/ mountain lion on my MacBook?

Thank you! 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
maxim_k
in reply to: changonz

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!

Hi,
Could you provide the name of the current System Printer you are using on your Mac when you try to print from AutoCAD?
Is it local (USB) or network printer?
You wrote that nothing happens when you try to print. Please, describe in more details your workflow with printing from AutoCAD: are you using Print dialog? Or you are trying to Batch publish?
Are you able to see something in Preview app when you select Preview from Print dialog?

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 9
changonz
in reply to: maxim_k

My answers are in Red
Could you provide the name of the current System Printer you are using on your Mac when you try to print from AutoCAD? I am not sure what this means, could you explain further?
Is it local (USB) or network printer? It is a network printer (but same thing happens if I use the local/ USB printer)
You wrote that nothing happens when you try to print. Please, describe in more details your workflow with printing from AutoCAD: are you using Print dialog?
In Autocad, I go to File and then to Print (or command P). The print screen comes up. I can pick a printer, set my settings and click Print, but the print dialog box then disappears, but no printing occurs and the printer queue does not open up nor is my print job in the queue. The same thing happens if I instead click Preview from the print dialog box.
Or you are trying to Batch publish? No
Are you able to see something in Preview app when you select Preview from Print dialog? Nothing happens when I go to preview from print dialog. the print dialog box disappears but no preview appears.
Message 4 of 9
changonz

My answers are in Red
Could you provide the name of the current System Printer you are using on your Mac when you try to print from AutoCAD? I am not sure what this means, could you explain further?
Is it local (USB) or network printer? It is a network printer (but same thing happens if I use the local/ USB printer)
You wrote that nothing happens when you try to print. Please, describe in more details your workflow with printing from AutoCAD: are you using Print dialog?

In Autocad, I go to File and then to Print (or command P). The print screen comes up. I can pick a printer, set my settings and click Print, but the print dialog box then disappears, but no printing occurs and the printer queue does not open up nor is my print job in the queue. The same thing happens if I instead click Preview from the print dialog box. 
 Or you are trying to Batch publish? No
Are you able to see something in Preview app when you select Preview from Print dialog? Nothing happens when I go to preview from print dialog. the print dialog box disappears but no preview appears. 

Thank you!
Message 5 of 9
maxim_k

Hi,

Could you provide the name of the current System Printer you are using on your Mac when you try to print from AutoCAD? I am not sure what this means, could you explain further?

I mean this name:

Screen Shot 2013-09-05 at 18.12.30.png

Is it some of HP printers - what model? Is there only one printer installed on your System (if you open Printer drop-down in dialog above - are you see any other printers? Have you tried to open PDF in Preview if you select one of those other printers (of course if they are in list)?

Maybe I'm wrong, but if the case is in printer drivers, then I think you can try to solve the problem with opening PDF in Preview from Print dialog (but not printing to physical device) if you will follow instructions from this post (including instructions in links from this post):

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-for-Mac/autocad-mac-2013-freezes-and-crashes-when-i-plot/m-p/4...

Please post here the results.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 6 of 9
renny_chan22

Hey , I have this problem too after upgrading this to the latest Mac OS 10.8.4 . When I type plot , it gave that pop up and I could only plot them with the default type , the color setting I have to change them manually in the 'Property Inspector'.

How do I have back that DWG to PDF.pc3 plotting table where I can set the plot style table ( whether I want it monochrome or by color ? ). Is there anywhere I can download the driver or is it my printer ? I'm printer's USB is not plugged to my mac cause it's on network and my printer name is BROTHER MFC-J6910DW .

Even if I batch publish them , the is error on the publish , no file was published at all . How do i solve this problem ??

THANKS !

Message 7 of 9
maxim_k

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!

Hi,

Do not worry about this alert from AutoCAD - it indicates only one thing: you don't have System printer with such name (DWG to PDF) on your Mac. After you dismiss this alert you can continue with printing. Mac OS will substitute this unknown printer with default System printer in Print dialog.
Now you have to check paper size and orientation and Page Setup settings. When you open Page Setup dialog for the first time from Print dialog or from Page setup manager - look at the small arrow to the left of OK button, you have to pick it in order to fine-tune additional settings such as Plot Style Table you are looking for. Here (top right of expanded dialog) you can find Plot style table settings.
If you make changes from Print dialog, next time you start printing you will need adjust them again.
If you want changes to printer name, page size, orientation and Plot style table remains permanently - you need to edit existing page setup via File -> Page Setup Manager menu. When you start to edit existing page setup (that came from PC version of AutoCAD, you will get an alert about DWG to PDF.pc3 again, but after you save Page setup in Page Setup Manager- you will not get it again when you print and you will be able to Batch Publish without errors. Just save Page Setup you edited on Mac and make it Current in Page Setup Manager.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 8 of 9
yuscullen

hi. I've problem to preview when I want print some drawing. If I click preview my Autocad will autoclose without warning. anybody can help me..? thanks.

Message 9 of 9
maxim_k
in reply to: yuscullen

Welcome to the Autodesk Forums!

Hi,

There could be several reasons.

Could you provide your OS version, your AutoCAD version and your workflow when printing fails:

I mean 

- do you use Custom Paper size(s) in the drawings which fail to print?

- do you print directly to physical printer (network or local)?

- do you print directly from AutoCAD? or use batch publish to PDF?

- etc

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost