AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing and paper size...

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
AmedeeBulle
517 Views, 7 Replies

Printing and paper size...

Hello everybody!

I am struggling a bit with Autocad 2013 for Mac (SP2 / Maveriks) when printing Layouts to PDF.

If a viewport is rendered in something else than 'Wireframe' (e.g. conceptual), and part of this viewport is for whatever reason outside the printable area then the objects in that viewport wil not print at the right place.

If the viewport is rendred in wireframe, then the print is correct (obviously it is clipped outside the printable area, but that is intended).

To illustrate the issue, I have attached 2 PDFs; the only thing changed between these is the rendering wireframe vs conceptual, we can see that the objects are shifted right compared to the viewport frame and the dimension lines that are still at the right place.

As such the issue is easily solved by either moving the viewport or changing the paper size (smaller margins), but on a couple of drawings, after a while I end up with viewports objects not printing exactly where they should in Conceptual, even when everything is in the printable area. I can not reproduce this at will, but once I get this problem, I cannot get rid of it.

I am probably doing something wrong at some point in time, but not sure what...

Any suggestion welcome!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
maxim_k
in reply to: AmedeeBulle

Welcome to the Autodesk Forums!

Hi,

Could you post your drawing here?

I will look on it closely.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 8
AmedeeBulle
in reply to: maxim_k

Thank you for looking at this.

Here is the drawing

Message 4 of 8
maxim_k

Try to move viewports, so they will fit inside printable area (dashed lines in Layout).

Look in attached DWG.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 8
AmedeeBulle

Yes, I already figured that out and that's what I was saying in my first post:

"As such the issue is easily solved by either moving the viewport or changing the paper size (smaller margins)"

When viewports are outside print area it does not print consistently, which does not make any sense to me. Now I could live with that, but again as I mentionned in my first post, in some cases I end up with a permanent displacement that stays even when viewport is in the printable area.

(I can upload such a drawing tonight)

Message 6 of 8
maxim_k

BTW, I just checked in PC version of AutoCAD, and get the same results: if viewport shade mode is other than 2D Wireframe and viewport itself doesn't fit inside printable area, than model space geometry "shifts" against paperspace dimensions.
The more viewport goes beyond the the printable area, the more distortions appears.

So this looks like a BUG in AutoCAD.

The only way to correct the defect is to put dimensions in Model Space. I attached PDF - dimensions (red) in lower viewport are in Model space.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 7 of 8
AmedeeBulle

Thank you Maxim!

Yes indeed setting the dimensions in Model Space makes them following the model...

Just to illustrate a strange issue, I have attached a drawing where I have a small shift, but this time all the viewport are in the printable area

The Layout view:

Screen Shot 2013-12-06 at 20.25.49.png   The resulting print: Screen Shot 2013-12-06 at 20.27.45.png

This is actually the most annoying part as I have not found a way of geting rid of it, except restarting from scratch...

In a perfect world, it is not a real issue: once you have your pages setup properly you stay within the limits and this should not be an issue.

This situation came above in an academic environment, where students exchanges files & templates; not everybody uses the same definitions and you can't really control this...

Message 8 of 8
maxim_k

Have no idea 😞

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost