AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor quality PDF using AutoCAD LT 2013 for Mac

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
dan
Contributor
4450 Views, 9 Replies

Poor quality PDF using AutoCAD LT 2013 for Mac

I am having quality issues with PDF quality when using the embedded .pdf creator in AutoCAD LT 2013 on Mac OSX Lion.

I am a new mac user and more farmiliar with using windows machines where i used to use Adobe Pro 7 to create PDF files with great success.

Wondering if i am struggling with new operating system of if i need to buy Adobe Pro X for the Mac to overcome it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Tags (3)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
pendean
in reply to: dan

Message 3 of 10
maxim_k
in reply to: dan

Hi Dan,

OK, I see now you have problems with PDF output on Mac.

What kind of issues do you have?

Could you post an example of PDF output along with DWG file from which you try to save PDF? It could be simple one, but with the issues you have.

Could you also post info about System Plotter/Printer, that you use in AutoCAD?

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 4 of 10
correio
in reply to: maxim_k

I'm having the same problem with AutoCAD 2012 for mac.

Hatch is "smudged" and all the curves have "moved"

I have checked plot with plot styles box. Its a CTB file.

I remember that the same problem happened when I first installed Autocad 2011 for mac. However, I don't remember how I fixed it. 😞

Message 5 of 10
maxim_k
in reply to: correio

Hi  correio,

Yes, I already have seen such "glitches" in PDF files, created on some Macs from AutoCAD...

Could you post your file, just want to test it on my System.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 6 of 10
correio

Thank you, Maxim.

Here it goes.

P.S. - I've opened other files that I have previously exported to PDF in MacAcad 2011 - other DWG and other CTB 0, and it worked fine.... It remains the same for this file, though....

Message 7 of 10
correio

I've checked again, zooming in curves and it was a delusion: even the "old" files are failing... 😕

Message 8 of 10
maxim_k

Hi  correio,

After some investigations on your drawing, I figured out that you are trying to print (save to PDF) really giant building plan at 1:800 scale on A4 paper. That is one of the roots of poor output quality of PDF (along with one nasty bug in AutoCAD for Mac, that is still there, even in 2013 products).

At first, take a look at PDF I created on A4 paper on Mac (it is in attachment - GU-GinasiodeUberaba-final-A0-to-A4.pdf).

If you are satisfied with results, I can explain how I produced this PDF.

Have to say, that here in Russia (and I think all over the world) nobody print building plans at 1:800 (even at 1:400) scale. This scale is the master plan of the city. For building plans I use 1:100 (or at least 1:200) scale.

Now - about your drawing.

I created new Layout on A0 paper, placed viewport with 1:180 scale (should be 1:200, but I tried to maintain overall composition), I also edited CTB file you provide - just increased thickness of the linesб then I printed it to A0 PDF, then opened this PDF in Preview app and save as another PDF, fitted in A4 sheet.

About "nasty bug" - when you print from AutoCAD for Mac Solid hatches - the resulting solid area outlined by line with current thickness (in AC for Win this is not the case). Solid areas in PDF file are formed from the small triangular areas, each outlined with lines, so when you try to save extremely small areas (as in your drawing) triangles are with really sharp corners and these corners form "sharp spines" that stick out from the solid hatch.

Look at the column (PDF magnified in Inkscape):

Screen Shot 2012-06-26 at 17.11.42.png

Another consequence of this bug is the appearance of lines inside solid fills when printing with transparency.

I also attached PDF created from your initial file in AC for Windows (GU-GinasiodeUberaba-final-Pagina-win.pdf), as you can see - there are no sharp spines in it, but the overall quality is not so good too.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 9 of 10
correio

Dear Maxim,

Thank you very much for your kind assistance.

From what you said, there is a still unsolved bug in this issue in AC for Mac - the "nasty" one, as you put.

The drawing i´m plotting is for reduced publishing in a book. Hence the unusual reduced scale.

Like this one:

http://revistamdc.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/mdc02-txt05.pdf

As you see. Although the "sharp spines" do not apper in the printed version, it is useful for online users to zoom the image and see the details.

However, I´m having the same problem whenever the scale is small - say 1:200 - which is a very common scale for large buildings. In these cases - as precision is necessary - scaling to fit would not be an option.

I may confess that I´m hugely disapointed with this bug. I never agreed to install Windows in my Mac - a matter of principles: if I wanted a windows machine, I would buy a much cheaper PC. As a practicing architect you may know also that sending PDF files to clients is a very common task, in which now we seem to have a problem.

What have you been doing in these cases? Are you sending the "hairy" PDFs anyway?

All the best,

Danilo

Message 10 of 10
maxim_k

Hi Danilo,

OK, now I see the reason for such scaling. Yes, that is a problem.. And we have to wait until Developer team will fix this bug, but while we are waiting:

@correio wrote:

What have you been doing in these cases? Are you sending the "hairy" PDFs anyway?

As I suggest you before:

- I use the the method, described above (save PDF from AutoCAD in suitable scale (1:100 or 1:200) on large custom paper size, and then scale down the PDF with Preview.app)

or

- there is another way for Mac users in this situation: you can use AutoCAD WS print feature, just upload your file to the "cloud" and then "print to PDF" inside AutoCAD WS application (WEB or Mac version). You will have the same output quality as in Windows version of AutoCAD. If you are using custom Plot Style table, the only one option is to use WEB-based AutoCAD WS, where you can upload custom CTB file along with DWG.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost