AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF output large files and hard to read on screen

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
margie_lo
1978 Views, 14 Replies

PDF output large files and hard to read on screen

I'm using AutoCAD for Mac 2013.  The PDfs that I get when using 'save as PDF' are large, very slow to display on the screen and hard to read.  They print fine. I have attached an example.  Anyone know how to fix this?  The desired outcome is a smaller file size, screen legibility and faster display without looking like each layer is be redrawn.

Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
maxim_k
in reply to: margie_lo

Hi,

I think, I can explain the reason for large size and complexity of the PDF file you get when you "save as PDF" from AutoCAD for Mac.
In fact, saving to PDF from AutoCAD in Mac OS differs from saving to PDF from AutoCAD in Windows - they use different PDF output software.
I'm absolutely sure, that:
- you are using CTB file with line end and line join style different from default "Use object line join / line end style":
Screen Shot 1.png
- probably you are using in your drawing polylines with Width greater than 0.00. In this case the width of polyline created in resulting PDF as collection of filled triangles and not as single polyline with fixed width.

As the result of such settings each of "wide" object renders to PDF file from AutoCAD for Mac not as one object with fixed width, but as a group of objects (filled triangles). For example: each hatch dot (I see you are using DOTS hatch pattern) renders as a group of filled triangles if you are using CTB file with line end and line join style different from default "Use object lineweight/line end style:
Screen Shot 2.jpg

So file size grows and complexity of PDF increases so that PDF reader can not display file faster.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 15
twcox
in reply to: maxim_k

Maxim,

I am having the same issue as OP and was wondering if fixing the plot style, or rather, altering it would effect how pdfs are created using the windows version of AutoCAD.  At the firm I'm with right now, two of us are using AutoCAD LT 13 for Mac and everybody else is using a mixture of versions on Windows.  We all direct our plotsyles, templates, etc. to a folder on our server so I'm afraid to alter any sort of template or file that others may be using just so my plots become smaller.

Message 4 of 15
maxim_k

Hi,

If the case of "hard" PDF output on Mac is CTB files you are using in mixed environment (I mean line endings and line join style in CTB files), my advice would be to create additional CTB files for use on Mac with exactly the same settings as original one from Windows version of AutoCAD except for line join/ line end styles.
Then you can create separate Page setup for Mac version in each drawing (or Template) file with this special CTB file assigned. When you will plot from Mac - use Mac version of Page setup, when plotting from Windows - use Page setup with original CTB.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 15
twcox

Thanks, that drastically reduced my pdf file size.  A four sheet publish set went from ~17mb to around 2mb - still larger than what the Windows counterparts are producing, but adjusting the CTB worked wonders.  I imagine text may play a roll in the extra file size, I've read a few posts on here discussing how to reduce PDF file size and that was one of the things to look into.  Sorry for hijacking your post OP - did this solution help you as well?

Message 6 of 15
maxim_k
in reply to: twcox

Reducing PDF file size by tweaking PDF compression on Mac affects only raster images inside PDF and doesn't affect problem with vector data ("exploded" fonts for example)

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 7 of 15
jsmith

Hi,

I am at my wits end with trying to reduce my pdf file size. My dwg is around 400K but the pdf generated is 1.5MB. I have tried everything I know but still no resolution. I tried selecting the monochrome CBT and editing it per the graphic here but it doesn't help. Any other suggestions?

Message 8 of 15
maxim_k
in reply to: jsmith

Welcome to the Autodesk Forums!

Does your DWG file contains a lot of TEXT objects?

If so, most likely you can not reduce the size of PDF output in AC for Mac, because of the OS limitations it doesn't allow to embed True Type fonts into PDF file (which could reduce TEXT overloaded PDF file).

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 9 of 15
jsmith

Thanks for your response. I don't believe there is an abnormal amount of text but then I am not really sure what alot constitutes? Is there something I can do to the text to reduce the file size? I know of several engineers using Autocad for Mac. I even have some of their drawings. They have more text in their drawings but their pdf file sizes are about the same as their dwg?

Message 10 of 15
maxim_k

Could you post one of your DWG files here along with Plot Style table file?
Or you can send it to my e-mail:
mkanaev at yandex.ru

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 11 of 15
jsmith

Maxim,

Thank you for all of your help. I would be gald to. Also, I do not have a custom cbt that I am using. I have tried using the default of none and monochrome using the built-in cbt's. I selected none and then tried monochrome.cbt with no modifications. Thanks so much for your help!

Message 12 of 15
maxim_k

Yes, I can confirm that PDF size is extremely large, when you save it in AC for Mac, an this OS because of Text objects, which are "outlined" during PDF output from AC on Mac.
I tried to "print" to PDF your file via AutoCAD360 app on my iPhone, and got PDF file rather small in size:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ylb9ej2srifonh/Test%20print.pdf
Have you tried to use AutoCAD360 ? On Mac you can use WEB based application.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 13 of 15
jsmith

Maxim,

Thanks a ton for your help! I currently have AutoCAD LT 2013 for the MAC. Do you think this is something that is fixed or is it just a MAC OS thing? I will try the AutoCAD360 and let you know. Thanks again for your insight and help!

Message 14 of 15
jsmith

Maxim,

If I plot my drawing online the file size goes from >500k to less than 40k? I just dont get it. It sure seems like there would be a fix for this outside of having to generate plots online? Thought you may want to know. Thanks again!

Message 15 of 15
maxim_k

The fix only can come when AutoCAD developers will issue new PDF to DWG engine for Mac (not sure this could happen soon) 😞

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost