AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF output and AutoCAD for Mac 2012

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
David_Stacey
4499 Views, 18 Replies

PDF output and AutoCAD for Mac 2012

Has anyone installed AutoCAD for Mac 2012 and tested PDF output?

I understand there is a new Export to PDF feature.  I've been using Adobe Acobat for PDF output from AutoCAD for Mac 2011 but this still produces large PDF files in comparison to AutoCAD for Windows.

What are your thoughts on the new "Export to PDF" feature?  Is it any better?

Appreciate any feedback you have at this early stage...

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
daz9096
in reply to: David_Stacey

Hi,

I have just tried the new pdf export feature and it works a lot quicker than the print to pdf option in 2011, i also compared a pdf saved from a 2011 version and a pdf with the export to pdf option and the newer ones file size is around 10% smaller.

Hope that helps you.

Message 3 of 19
maxim_k

Hi,

Just want to mention, that native OS X printer drivers (Gutenprint) every time gives me better results when printing (saving) to PDF than Adobe Acrobat - curve smoothness, line thickness etc.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 4 of 19
raumpunktmp

Easy Way to reduce Filesize is to open PDF with builtin ColorSync and Custom-Filter (Reduce File-Size).

Message 5 of 19
David_Stacey

I received my copy of 2012 today and installed it on my MacBook Pro (after doing a clean install of Snow Leopard).

PDF output quality from the "Export to PDF" feature is a massive improvement in this release. On another note, 2012 runs so much smoother and have been able to use it in-production straight away (once the initial customizations were setup).

Overall very happy with this release. Well worth my subscription!!
Message 6 of 19
RangrStudio

I tried saving the same page with plot (save as pdf) and with export to pdf.

The "plotted" file is 869Kb, the "export" file is 838Kb.

Otherwise I don't see a difference visually.

The ability to edit ctb files is a very welcome addition- begins to feel like a full autocad version.

Now, if only we could x-ref xls files and pdf files like the windows version...

Message 7 of 19
HawkAIA

I agree that it is zippier opening and closing files. But the cursor seems to be a little jerkier than 2011.  I'm still trying to turn off all the pop up, auto-tracking, auto tipping, heads-up, dynamic help get in my way stuff.    Also, for some reason, F3 doesn't turn Osnap on and off; and they changed the F8 ortho key to Command L.  I can get used to Command-L, but the F3 not working is driving me nuts. I also agree with Maxim,  to make a PDF, I just click Preview and then save it from the Preview app.  Seems to be equivalent quality to the Windows version PDFs in my office.   I agree with you that I am happy with my subscription.  As I see it, this is a major milestone for Autocad for Mac, as the original R12 Autocad for Mac died in R12.  This marks the first time that Autodesk has upgraded Autocad for Mac to the next release, and on the same schedule as the Windows version.  Way to go Autodesk!

--

Hawk

Message 8 of 19
AthensCAD

Can you please explain more about the pdf printer and its settings

I have AutoCAD for MAC 2013, I have CTB setup etc etc, no problems

my issue is that the pdf prints with thicker lines from the MAC than the PC

the same ctb file does not generate the same results on the two computers.

I am new to MAC so I am not sure about setting up the printer as you advise etc etc

if you could guide me through it I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Message 9 of 19
maxim_k
in reply to: AthensCAD

Hi,

Could you, please, post one sample drawing along with CTB file and PDF output results that you get from this file on Mac and on PC?

For the moment I'm aware of one problem (bug) with PDF output from AutoCAD on Mac (I do not mention the problems with different System printers installed on particular Mac, because I really did not test them all Smiley Wink)

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 10 of 19
AthensCAD
in reply to: maxim_k

Hi,

Thanks for being so fast
Attached are the two pdfs from mac and pc - they are both using identical ctb with identical settings

you can see the difference....everything on mac gets 'fat'

Thanks

Message 11 of 19
AthensCAD

sorry - here is the CTB

this forum doesn't let me post .ctb file extension, so I have faked it, change the extension to .ctb once you have it

thanks

Message 12 of 19
maxim_k

And what about DWG file?
Anyway - from my point of view both PDF files looks almost identical with exception of areas with solid fills.

And this is exactly the case about which I wrote about in my first reply.

Plus I have noticed, that wide lines in your DWG files are polylines with width (isn't it?), so they are "independent" from settings in CTB file, and because AC for Mac creates lines in PDF file from such kind of objects as solid fills - thus my note about the bug applies here again.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 13 of 19
AthensCAD

Thanks again, its very strange that you see the polylines as been drawn with width

because they are not

all line thicknesses are generated by the CTB, no width has been allocated to anything

the Mac pdf prints (hardcopy) very differently to the PC, its like I am using two different ctb

Message 14 of 19
maxim_k

Hi AthensCAD (sorry, don't know your real name),

OK if you are still here, I want to say that I have found the reason for poor PDF output with CTB file you posted here.

You can try attached CTB file - the quality should be better.

The case is in settings for line ends and line join style:

Screen Shot 2012-07-20 at 22.23.11.png

if you will change them from Butt (Line end style) to "Use object end style" and from Miter (line join style) to "Use object line join style" - exactly as I did this in attached files - the results will be the same as on PC (well, almost as on PC)

Oh, yes, in fact I was not able to edit your CTB file in AC 2013 Plot Style editor, because the Description area of each of the pens in your CTB file contains "strange" symbols (see screenshot), but I edited your CTB in AC 2012 for Mac.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 15 of 19
AthensCAD

Dear Maxim,

Thanks - I will give it a try!

I don't know why you get these funny symbols that prevent editing...it was created in Mac?

Message 16 of 19
maxim_k

Hi,

I really don't know where was created this symbol, it was already in CTB file you provided here. You have to ask about this a person who gave you this file.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 17 of 19
AthensCAD

Dear Maxim,

Thank you for all the help, sorry I didn't respond earlier, I have been away.

I tested your pen file and its much improved - the line weights are the correct thickness etc.

The only thing is that it makes the corners rounded and I like them square (you can see the difference between the PC version and the mac test).

The other strange thing is...once I have your CTB in mac....I cannot edit it or view its properties

Is there something I am doing wrong with the import?

How do you create your CTB, previously in PC I did it directly through the print dialogue boxes

with the mac 2013, the CTB I created didn't work correctly at all.

Is there something I need to learn about mac and CTB?

Beth

p.s. another question...at the moment I am doing 'save as pdf' from printer dialogue, do you create a pdf printer? if so do you mind explaining to me how to do so on a mac (sorry, I know I am fully of questions!)

Message 18 of 19
HawkAIA

Change line end style and Line join style

I use save as PDF.   Actually I click Preview button, then SaveAs and Print from Preview App. 

Message 19 of 19
maxim_k

Hi AthensCAD,

As John said in his reply you can experiment with line endings and join styles in Plot Style editor. But keep in mind, that butt line endings style case the results not acceptable to you.
About CTB file I have sent to you - it was the file, that you sent to me, I just edited it in AC 2012 for Mac, because AC 2013 for Mac was unable to recognize that file (because of "strange' symbols in Description)
You have to try to edit this file in Win version of AutoCAD.
About saving to PDF - I use the same way, or I use Butch publish

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost