AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

osnap toggle?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
chrisrak
6489 Views, 10 Replies

osnap toggle?

Hi is there an acad for mac 2011 command key for osnap on/off. I'm new to mac and the f number  keys dont seem to  work for this kind of thing anymore. Is there something like command L (which I found for ortho on/off) but for osnap on/off?

cheers

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
maxim_k
in reply to: chrisrak

Hi,

For Osnap toggle you can use Fn+F3 combination (on MacBooks), or you can configure behavior of function keys in Mac OS System preferences:

Screen shot 2011-03-24 at 15.25.00.png

If you want, you can read more about Shortcut Keys in AutoCAD for Mac in my blog: Default Keyboard Shortcuts in AutoCAD for Mac.

HTH

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 11
katie1994
in reply to: maxim_k

Hi, I have been trying to solve this too. I have discovered that you cannot toggle the F3 and F8 commands during an action, only before you begin the action.

Message 4 of 11
HawkAIA
in reply to: katie1994

The F3 and F8 keys are broken in Autocad for Mac 2012.  Apparently the programmers are working on a fix. You can select the little icon in the status bar to toggle Osnap, as F3 simply does not work.  For Ortho, you can use CMD + L transparently, which is not quite as convenient at F8, but is not bad.  For F6 (coords), you have to use the command line.

I received a temporary fix from Autodesk Tech Support that involves changing a couple of things inside the Autocad 2012 application package.  I did it and it works pretty well.  If anyone is interested, here it is:

Quit Auotcad.  Right click on the Autocad 2012 application and select Show Package Contents, and go to the Contents->Resources folder.  Make a backup copy of OverrideRoot.cui.  Open OverrideRoot.cui in an ASCII text editor.  I use TextWrangler (available for free at the App Store).   Now, scroll down about just past halfway until you find <Override UID="OVR_0021">.  Under KeyState="up",  look for the line that says <MacroRef MenuMacroID="MM_1668" />.  Change the number 1668 to 1633, so that is identical to the KeyState-"down" ID of MM_1633.  The editor will give you a warning message about overwriting the protected file.  Verity that you have a backup of the file, and Click on the Allow Overwrite button.   Scroll down to OVR_0022, and make the same conceptual change.  Change the number in KeyState up from 1669 to 1634, so that the ID matches the KeyState down ID.  Save and close the file.  Open System Preferences and in the Keyboard pane, set "Delay until Repeat" to a short time setting, and set "Repeat Rate" to a fast setting. Reopen Autocad 2012, and you should be able to use F3 and F8, you will just have to press and hold on them for 1 to 2 seconds depending on the settings in the Keyboard Pane. A little brownish and gray square icon will pop up when the F3 setting has switched.

Attached are a couple of screenshots to help.

Autodesk seems very dedicated to the Mac Platform.  I posted the problem on my subscription portal last night, and their tech support team responded immediately.  They escalated it today and sent me the above fix less than 24 hours after my original post.  Kudos to the support team on this one.  It was driving me crazy. They listened to me when I said it was a serious productivity issue and found a good workaround.

Message 5 of 11
maxim_k
in reply to: HawkAIA

Hi John,

It is exactly the same solution, that I mean here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-for-Mac/ORTHO-while-commands-are-running/m-p/3132702#M2587

but was afraid that editing "system" files is a kind of complicated task for ordinary user.

Just in case I put to attachment edited version of OverrideRoot.cui file, that I use, so that everyone who is interested in workaround could use it to replace original file in "/Applications/Autodesk/AutoCAD 2012/AutoCAD.app/Contents/Resources/"

I also can suggest solution that allow to decrease keyboard delay until repeat: Open Terminal app an paste the following string to it:

defaults write NSGlobalDomain KeyRepeat -int 0

hit return and you will get minimum keyboard delay until repeat. To return to defaults - open System Preferences -> Keyboard an change Delay Until repeat.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 6 of 11
katie1994

HI, this sounds like a solution that I would like to try but your message was difficult for a non-expert to follow. Can you repost explaining it step by step? And thank you in advance.

Message 7 of 11
katie1994

Alright, I have been following the directions and got as far as making the corrections to the code. When I tried to save and close I got this message"

You do not have sufficient privileges to perform this operation (MacOS Error code: -5000)

Message 8 of 11
maxim_k

OK,

1. Quit Auotcad.  Right click on the Autocad 2012 application and select Show Package Contents, and go to the Contents->Resources folder.  Make a backup copy of OverrideRoot.cui.

2. Extract OverrideRoot.cui from attached archive to folder in step 1 ("/Applications/Autodesk/AutoCAD 2012/AutoCAD.app/Contents/Resources/") - that is - replace existing OverrideRoot.cui with OverrideRoot.cui from archive.

3. Close all Finder windows

4. In Finder menu select Go -> Utilities, locate Terminal.app and start it

5. Copy next string to clipboard:

switch to Terminal.app, and paste this string after $ sign (to terminal prompt)

6. Hit Return, exit Terminal app.

7. Start AutoCAD and try to use F3 and F8 buttons with slight delay on pressing, it should work for switching OSNAP and ORTHO during active command.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 9 of 11
HawkAIA

Ah,  I see what you mean.. I am not as nearly as adept at Unix as you are and should have been able to figure it out from your post at http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-for-Mac/Function-keys-anyone/td-p/3131060 but I didn't think about the keystate up and down trick .  I tried to give a greatly simplified instruction for those who might be a little more technically inclined.  At least it is not as bad as the old Mac System 9 resource files where one wrong backspace and you're doomed.  Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 11
katie1994
in reply to: HawkAIA

Smiley Very Happy

Yeah! It works! For all the novices out there here is what worked for me.

Close AutoCAD

1. Add a folder to the desktop titled OverRoot (or wherever you want to store it).

2. Open the Finder and navigate to Applications\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2012\AutoCAD.app.

3. Right click on AutoCAD.app and choose"Show package Contents" in the popup menu.

4. In the new Finder window that opens scroll down to the bottom and navigate to Contents\Resources folder.

5. Click on the Resources folder and scroll through the contents to find the "OverrideRoot.cui" file.

6. Copy this file into the new OverRoot folder. This will be the backup in case you want to restore it.

7. Next click on this link and a new OverRoot-2.cui file will be downloaded.

Attachment OverrideRoot.cui.zip 2 KB

8. Open a new Finder window, open the Downloads folder and scroll to find the OverRoot-2.cui file.

9. Right-click on the file and copy it to the clipboard.

10. Go back to the Finder window with the Resources folder and paste the OverRoot-2.cui file into the Resources folder.

11. You will be asked if you want to replace the existing OverRoot.cui file, click on yes.

12. Close the Finder windows.

13. Copy this string to the Clipboard

14. Now in the Finder menu select Go>Utilities. In that window locate and open theTerminal.app.

15. Paste the string in the Terminal window after the $ and press Enter.

16. Close the Terminal app

17. Start AutoCAD and now the F3 and F8 keys will toggle OSNAP and ORTHO!

Message 11 of 11
ugosantana
in reply to: chrisrak

Any news about an update to fix this?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost