AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Mac version

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
711 Views, 14 Replies

New to Mac version

I recently switched to the Mac version of Acad LT (2013) and am finding that the commands seem to hang a little.  Coming from having used always the latest PC where there was no hesitation whatsoever, I find this a bit annoying eventhough I'm not using Acad on a regular basis as I used to (I'm a semi-retired architect).  I did run the PC version of Acad LT 2011 on Parallels for a while where the delays between entering commands and seeing it happen on the screen were much worse, so I thought that a native Mac version might eliminate this problem.  I'm running on a fairly new MacbookPro (i5 processor, 8gb ram), and frankly I really like the interface of the Mac version, but wonder if anyone can shed light on these delays (I've been using Autocad since R12 so tend to go pretty fast 🙂

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
maxim_k
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

Do you see the delays in all files (even in new, just created)?

Do you have Xrefs in DWG file, where you experience delays?

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: maxim_k

I WAS working on a file with LOTS of XREF's that was created in the full version of ACAD, so I closed that and opened a new drawing, but the delays are not changed.  For instance if I type in "EX" for extend (in a new drawing), it takes a second or two for that to show up on my screen, so for every command I type in, there is that pause.....

Message 4 of 15
maxim_k

What if you quit AutoCAD (select AutoCAD -> Quit AutoCAD) and start it again? Don't open files with Xrefs, just test default new drawing. Are the delays still there?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

Yes, to be safe I restarted the computer and opened ACAD with the new drawing only.  Still the little hangups.

Message 6 of 15
jimlapier

Does this happen the same if you enter commands in the command line vs selecting the icon vs selecting from the menu bar? Just curious.

Also, is it all command types ie You mentioned extend, which is a modification tool. What about object creation (line, circle) ?

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: jimlapier

It seems consistent throughout the app, same whether I type commands or use the icons, but I'll spend a little more time this weekend to see if I can narrow it down some.  

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: jimlapier

I think that the issue comes from the Mac hardware and/or osx, rather than from the Acad app.  I've been checking it with some other apps like MS Word, Photoshop, and I find a similar recurrence there with some commands being executed with a slight delay. So my thought is that Acad just pushes that issue a bit harder and hence the pauses are more noticeable.

I'll head over to the Mac forum and see if there's some help for this issue over there.  However, if anyone here has had a similar issue on their Macbook Pro (OSX Lion 10.7.5), I would really appreciate any insight into this.

One thing to add, I do have Parallels installed on this laptop, but not running AFIK.

Joe

Message 9 of 15
maxim_k

Hi Joe,

I remembered that I had something similar (delays) a long time ago, when I was using AC 2011 for Mac on 10.6.8.
The issue goes away after I replaces HDD with new one. This is only information, not saying that it is your case.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

I'll keep that on my mental "to look for" list when I ask around the Mac forum. Sounds plausible to me.
Message 11 of 15
jimlapier

I tend to agree with Maxim, it seems there may be an issue with your hard drive. Do you have access to an Apple Retail Store? Make an appointment and take it in for daignostic (it's free) and they can see if there is anything wrong with your hardware. They may also suggest a re-install of the operating system (done in place, does not erase your data / apps.) Either way, make sure you have a good backup of your hard drive in case something does fail. Another resource if you don't have access to an Apple store is open disk utility (Applications / Utilities) and run a "Verify Disk" and "Verify Permissions"

Let us know how it goes.

Message 12 of 15
alloversolutions

I am having similar issues.  Recently we made an investment in Mac machines and loaded Autocad Lt for mac on them.  The keystrokes are delayed.  I have turned off autocomplete because that was one suggestion but that did not fix it. These are brand new iMac machines with 16Gb ram. What I see is the correct shortcut keys typed in by where my cursor is but it is not making it to the command line for some reason.  I am a seasoned autocad user and move pretty fast but the Mac version is not keeping up well.  For Example when I do "Mi" for mirror it shows up right by my cursor but only the "M" makes it to the command before I hit my right mouse button.  It is super annoying. Anyone have a fix for this???

Message 13 of 15
maxim_k

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!
Hi,
What if you turn off Dynamic input? Than all keyboard input will go directly to Command window. Do you see same delays?

What if you will not use secondary (right) mouse button as Return? Try to disable this feature in AutoCAD preferences and experiment with keyboard input. Do you see delays now?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 14 of 15
alloversolutions

I don't think I could handle NOT having the right click to accept commands. Haha!  So far turning the dynamic input off seems to have helped.  Will update if it still is having issues.  Thanks for quick reply!

Message 15 of 15
maxim_k
in reply to: alloversolutions

@printmyplans wrote:

I don't think I could handle NOT having the right click to accept commands. Haha!

Yes, you are right, I just thought you mean using right click outside command or inside command to accept default option.

About delays in command input - to say true I never experienced such issue in my practice. But sometimes I experienced another issue with AutoCAD 2015 for Mac: with Dynamic input turned ON and intensive using of Spacebar as Return inside commands sometimes it looks like AutoCAD looses "input focus" from keyboard: I type command from keyboard, but AutoCAD doesn't shows my input in Dynamic input prompt. I need to pick in drawing area in order to be able to continue keyboard input.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost