AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving objects in 3d unpredictable

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Helipil0t
1453 Views, 2 Replies

Moving objects in 3d unpredictable

So I have a very simple 3d project that is driving me nutts.

I'm setup with 3 viewports.  One with top view, X, Y Axis, one with side view X, Z Axis and a 3rd (3d) viewing X, Y, Z.

I want to move a 3d object from the top view along the Y axis.  I select my object, type "move" press enter, select the corner of my object drag it along the Y axis and click.  I'd expect it to be that simple.  But as soon as I click the object jumps along the Z axis.. It's infuriating. 

If I work with a viewport that is showing X, Y.. should my work not be restricted to those axis?  If I want to increase the elevation of an object, I'd expect to use my Front viewport and move along the Z axis.. but the samething happens.. The oject jumps along the Y axis.

The only predictible view is the 3d view.. But it's also not very practical for making small adjustments in my drawing.

I must be missing something simple here.  Can anyone help me understand what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

Tags (3)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
maxim_k
in reply to: Helipil0t

Welcome to the Autodesk Forums!

Hi,

@Helipil0t wrote:

I want to move a 3d object from the top view along the Y axis.  I select my object, type "move" press enter, select the corner of my object drag it along the Y axis and click.  I'd expect it to be that simple.  But as soon as I click the object jumps along the Z axis.. It's infuriating. 

If I work with a viewport that is showing X, Y.. should my work not be restricted to those axis?  If I want to increase the elevation of an object, I'd expect to use my Front viewport and move along the Z axis.. but the samething happens.. The oject jumps along the Y axis.

I think you have additional movement along the axis perpendicular to the view because you use have obgect snap enabled when you pick the vertex (corner) of the object, than you cann not be sure which of the corners are cuptured when you pick it. Seems in your case AutoCAD snaps to the wrong vertex (which are one above other when you look at them from the top) and this gives the additional movement along axis perpendicular to the view.

Try to pick point outside the object, or turn off object snap (2D and 3D) - than you will be able to move objects in plan view without moving them in additional 3D direction.

If you need presizion and want to use object snap, than set system variable OSNAPZ=1

Command: OSNAPZ
Enter new value for OSNAPZ <0>: 1
Command:

This will ignore Z value of object snap and all object snaps will be projected onto the XY plane of the current UCS or, if ELEV is set to a non-zero value, onto a plane parallel to XY plane at the specified elevation.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 3
Helipil0t
in reply to: maxim_k

Thanks for the quick reply.  OSNAPZ does the trick thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost