AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model Space to Paper Space Scaling Issue

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
4372 Views, 4 Replies

Model Space to Paper Space Scaling Issue

HI, I have an issue where when I copy and paste something (a title block in this case) from Model Space to Paper Space the scale gets messed up, and the drawing ends up being much larger than the page, seemingly turning the scale from millimetres to inches. My graphics teacher and I have looked for any setting that may be off, but they all seem to be in order.

The object isn't too big for the page, in model space it's 297*210mm

Is there some sort of quick fix or at least a workaround other than manually scaling all copy-pasted objects?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
maxim_k
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

Please describe in more details your drawing setup, such as Layout size in the same units as you measure in Model space.

If the model space is 297*210mm (I beleive it is 297*210 AutoCAD units, not mm) - what is the size of Layout?

Could you post screenshot of the insertion result? Or better - attach here the drawing file itself?

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: maxim_k

In the properties panel, AutoCAD preferences and the units menu (Format > Units...) everything is set to Metric or Millimetres.

This is the bottom left corner in Model Space: http://i.imgur.com/0r7PS8T.png

And then when inserted into Paper Space (the distance between the two outer rectangles is supposed to be 10mm): http://i.imgur.com/olHdChR.png

I've also attached the drawing file. It contains the original in Model Space and the inserted result in Paper Space.

Message 4 of 5
maxim_k
in reply to: Anonymous

The paper size of the Layout in your drawing is 8.26 x 11.69 inches:

Screen Shot 2014-11-05 at 08.18.45.png

The inches as measurement units was taken from your current System printer - Samsung.

But in fact AutoCAD doesn't know anything about inches, millimetres, metres, etc. - it knows only drawing units.

So your title block is 210х297 drawing units - you can treat them as mm, m, inch, km .... - but AutoCAD consider them as drawing units as this is an AutoCAD rule. Paper size in Layout is 8.26x11.69 drawing units - that is why the title block doesn't fit in paper space. AutoCAD cannot convert (scale) automatically objects copied - pasted via clipboard.

So you need to run Page Setup Manager and set appropriate paper size in Layout.

Maybe you are confusing by word "millimeters" in Units dialog - but this is only one case when AutoCAD uses real world units, and it uses them only in Block definitions to help you to scale blocks inserted to the drawings from external files. If the block has special units property (which you can set during creation or in Block editor), than you can insert it to the drawing and AutoCAD automatically will scale such block: for example if you create block with Inches as Block units:

Screen Shot 2014-11-05 at 08.39.18.png

and insert it to the drawing with millimeters as insertion scale units property defined in Units dialog:

Screen Shot 2014-11-05 at 08.39.42.png

than AutoCAD will automatically scale up the block 25.4 times, and you will get correct dimensions of the block in your drawing.

You can read more about Units of measurement in AutoCAD for example in AutoCAD online Help:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/ACDMAC/2015/ENU/index.html?guid=GUID-A54B17F4-2EB5-4C62-A7C5-E3B2265FA...

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: maxim_k

Everything makes sense now, and everything works.

Thank you very much!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost