AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macbook Pro freezes with AutoCAD 2014

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
1237 Views, 4 Replies

Macbook Pro freezes with AutoCAD 2014

Hello,

My name is Bárbara and I use Autocad 2014 (for students) for Macbook Pro. When I use this program, my laptop totally freezes and the only way to unlock is to force it to shut down or put it to sleep. This problem only occur with this software, I already left the laptop in Apple Store to get support, but they tested and everything was ok. The apple already installed the system, but nothing changed. This problem occur many times with different versions of the system, I already uninstalled and installed autocad many times.

This problem occurred when I was using the old version of the system and autocad 2014. At this time I updated to the latest version of system and for autocad 2015 (for students). 

I attached here photos when this situation occurs. I also have videos where the problem is found, but I could not send due to file size.
I really need help.

Macbook configuration:
Macbook Pro (retina, 15-inch, late 2013)
Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
maxim_k
in reply to: 00208970

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!

Hi Bárbara,

Does the freezes happens even with small newly created files?
What kind of DWG files you edit on your Mac?
Could you post here one of the DWG files you have troubles with? You can also send it to my email: mkanaev at yandex.ru
Please describe also when the freezes occurs? Could you reproduce steps that leads to AutoCAD freeze?
I’m pretty sure that the case of freezes is in DWG files you edit, but maybe I’m wrong.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 5
in reply to: maxim_k

Hi Maxim,

I had the same problem with different files. This problem started six or seven months ago, then I already tried with others files. The software crashed at different times, but only autocad was open and it froze with a simple command. The only thing that I use along with the autoCAD is the internet browser. The big problem is that all laptop froze when this occurs.

I will send you videos when the autocad froze and some files that I already had troubles. However, the size of file doesn't matter: the software already had problem with small and big files.

Thank you.

I await a return as soon as possible

Message 4 of 5
maxim_k
in reply to: 00208970

Hi Bárbara,

I received your files and videos.

Have to say, that the videos doesn't say me anything about the case of AutoCAD freezes, unfortunately, because they show AutoCAD at the moment when it already hangs (freezes) and doesn't show previous steps that leads to the hang.

I also inspected your files on my Mac which is practically the same model as yours (MacBook Pro 15", late 2013, with i7 processor and 16 Gb of RAM) and have to say that I don't have freezes just after I open drawings and even if I make some editing in them.

At the same time I think the main case of AutoCAD hangs on your Mac is in the drawings you are editing. The example drawings you sent me all contains a lot of Hatch objects, when I open one of the files you sent me (file1.dwg) AutoCAD even give me an alert:

Screen Shot 2014-11-09 at 10.00.53.png

This means that you are using a lot of dense hatches in the drawing and you may run out of memory on your Mac when you edit such drawing.

Plus I used AUDIT command in your drawing (with option Y) to allow this command to repair errors and the result was:

- in file1.dwg:

Total errors found 784 fixed 784
Erased 0 objects
Previous selection set contains 1953841455 paper space 892416050 model space objects

- in file2dwg:

Total errors found 777 fixed 777
Erased 0 objects
Previous selection set contains 101 paper space 32 model space objects

- in file3.dwg:

Total errors found 54 fixed 54
Erased 0 objects
Previous selection set contains 1953841455 paper space 892416050 model space objects

So you see that all files you sent me are full of internal errors, and all of errors are Hatch object related, here is an exception of AUDIT log:

"AcDbHatch(A5D70) Boundary Missing a Reactor Remove Associativity
AcDbHatch(A5D70) Boundary Missing a Reactor Remove Associativity
AcDbHatch(A5D71) Boundary Missing a Reactor Remove "

So you need to AUDIT all your files.

Resolve issues with Hatches - try not to use extremely dense hatches - use SOLID pattern instead, if you need a lot of hatches in the drawings - divide your drawings in smaller parts in order not to overload System memory.

Here is a link to AUDIT command help:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/ACDMAC/2015/ENU/index.html?guid=GUID-62DDB935-61B1-49DA-8238-3EF1CC452...

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 5 of 5
in reply to: maxim_k

Hello,

The problem occurred while I was using autocad and I had no way of knowing when it would happen, so I have no way to record the steps. Usually the problem occurred when I was using the file for a longer period of time and it happened several times. It just froze with different commands.
Thank you for your help. I will use this command more often and I will take care of the hatches to improve the functioning of the software on my laptop. I hope it helps me.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost