AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac Autocad 2012 too slow !!!

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
gezrez
2615 Views, 11 Replies

Mac Autocad 2012 too slow !!!

I recently purchjased an Imac, I7 3.4Mhtz, 4GRam, 2GC, solid state, 2TB.

I have used autocad for almost 15+ years on PC, and I was excited at the look of the new Mac version of autocad and wanted a change, so I made the move.

After instaling 2012 trial and loading up a normal 1.5meg file, I have been having great difficulty coping and moving in autocad MAC, it is so slow that it feels like an old 386 pc !!

Either I need more ram ? or the Mac version is what it is, in any case why would you need to use it with more than 4Gram, OSX hammers even with 4gram anyway.

I dont know why but the Mac version of autocad is so slow, its actualy unusable compared to the PC version which is miles ahead in terms of performance.

One of the the most important things about autocad is its ability to rip through large files easily. moving and copying fast  is also paramount, if you doint have these then you realy cant work on it in any real work environent.

Im very dissapointed.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
maxim_k
in reply to: gezrez

Hmm,

interesting... There should be some data in your file, that AC for mac handle with difficulty.

Is it possible to share this file (here or you can email me maximkanaev at yandex.ru), I'll try to investigate the problem.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 12
Leaf.chai

Hi user,

Thank you for connecting Autodesk!

For your issue, can you first try below scenario?

1) Draw a circle. Specify the center point.

2) Move mouse.

Check if the circle preview generate is slow.

If YES, please try to change DRAGP1 value from 0 to 5000.

Thanks,

Leaf

Leaf Chai
AutoCAD QA Analyst

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 12
gezrez

Hi All

Ok so to sum up my rant earlier I will explain what is happening.

What I did:

Checked the Dragp1, it was set to 5000.

1. I opened up a few files sizes ranged from 1 meg to 15 meg. all files were 2010 PC format, all were clean, purged and audited.

2. Copied drawings around, say about 5 to 6 times all within model space.

3. Panned, regenerated. moved, zoomed window, in, out, extents. etc

4. Create new file within Autocad Mac, Create many circles and truetype fonts, 6 meg worth, and copy once.

Result:

1. All files opened up pretty fast, no problem there at all, no errors or messages.

2. Typed in copy command, selected drawings(no problem) pick point to copy from(Cursor very very slow hard to move to required point very annoying, major lag very slow drag and regeneration of selected data, missing data, requires regeneration), finaly with great difficulty picked point to copy to (lag, slow, regeneration of data very slow, data not visible, requires regen.) 

3. Panning, moving, all zooming( Cursor very movement very slow, regeneration of data very slow)

4. Created Many Circles and truetype fonts file size 6 meg,  panning, zooming (very good, like normal autocad). Copy all data once and created 12 meg file (slow cursor movement, lagging, slow, regeneration of data slow, requires regen to show data).

When I created the 6 meg size file with circles and truetype fonts no problem, but trying to crete somehting bigger than that it lagged, and when opening a PC dwg file and trying to copy drawings it lagged as well.

So my conclusion is the program cannot regenerate copy or move smoothly, it lags to the point where you cannot work.

Any thoughts welcome.

Message 5 of 12
maxim_k

Hi gezrez,

Changing DRAGP1 to small values (1-500) will save your live Smiley Wink

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 6 of 12
gezrez

Hi Maxim

Just tried it again, it didnt improve anything not even the cursor.

It feels like it might be a graphics problem ? maybe Autocad Mac 2012 dosent support it ?, its ATi 6970 2 Gig.

Thanks 

Message 7 of 12
maxim_k

Strange, very strange, I get considerable improvement in crosshair movement while inside COPY command, if I set DRAGP1=10. Have tested in DWG file with text and circles (about 10000 objects, 1.5 Gb)

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 8 of 12
gezrez

Starting a new file is ok, but as soon as you have say more than 6 meg file size, the crosshair slows down and eventualy becomes jerky. Opening up existing files even at 1 meg size, and copying within those the crosshairs is jerky,
Message 9 of 12
Ciaranacton

I just installed 2013. Don't waste your time. I have both macbook pro and imac. Both are disgusting. Zoom in out pan absolutely terrible. Might as well boot up the old pc.

Message 10 of 12

In my case, it improved a little by turning OFF all AutoConstrain options (Settings in Parametric).

But I still miss my PC...

Message 11 of 12
David_Stacey

Are you opening a file across a network or off a local drive?

Also, check to see how much memory you have free after you've opened your dwg.

Only other thing I can think of is making sure you have updated using software update app.
Message 12 of 12
gezrez
in reply to: David_Stacey

Just tried the 2013 trial on the mac, same no improvement. Why is Autodesk wasting time on this for ?

Oh well, lucky I trialed it before buying it.  

I dont understand why people would buy a Mac to run parralles and windows.

At least I can still use the Mac as a TV.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost