AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layers

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
peter
383 Views, 6 Replies

Layers

Hi,

Trying to learn Autocad LT for Mac 2015 coming from Ashlar Vellum's Graphite. 

Maybe I'm not understanding proper workflow but is there a way to have dimensions automatically go to a Dimension layer without first switching to Dimension layer as I draw? The same Q for construction lines.

Also, program seems 'cranky' at times. Using older Macbook Pro (5.1) 4 GB ram, 30" Cinema display. Too much memory draw?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
maxim_k
in reply to: peter

Hi,

Answering to the first two questions - no, there is no such feature in AutoCAD, but I think you can use CUI command to create menu macro (command) for this (change layer before creating dimension or construction line, than change it back after creation) and assign this macro to the button on ToolSets palette.

About RAM on your Mac: it is minimum amount - keep in mind that AutoCAD is 64-bit application and it is memory consuming application. I'd recommend you at least 8 Gb of RAM.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 7
peter
in reply to: maxim_k

Thank you for the reply.

So, I'm guessing that I just need to learn a new mindset for working in AutoCad: Always selecting the correct layer first before drawing, dimensioning, annotating , etc or accept doing a lot of cleanup afterwards. Yes?

I'm excited to know about macros. I'll look into it. Any other source of 'how to' ?

Also, is there an easy way to always have construction lines draw in a certain line style (color, pattern)? If so, can this be done as a 'universal' setting or does it need to be done upon starting each new drawing?

Same Q for Dimension Lines: preset with prefs.

Same Q for Layers: can some often used ones come in as part of a template with colors, line widths etc already set? Such as Dimension,Construction Line, Rough Framing, Finish Walls, Counter tops etc?

Memory Q: I'm sort of used to (spoiled) drawing on two monitors (laptop and Cinema). would I be better off just using the 15" laptop and not the 30" display? Seems like the answer is obvious. My laptop is not upgradable past 4 GB. When I first went from a 12" MackBook Pro to a 15" I was sorta impressed but then a second monitor really made a huge difference in productivity with have several drawings open so I could go back and forth.

New computer time?

Thanks in advance

Message 4 of 7
dgorsman

AutoCAD is a very generic drawing tool, with the assumption that the user will be handling a lot of the grunt work so it meets their specific drawing needs.  It gives a lot of flexibility to make it good (but not excellent) in many different fields.  LT is even more generic, lacking the customization capability of the full AutoCAD.  Macros are essentially a record of what you would type at the command line.  So for switching to a certain layer before drawing a line would be LAYER;SET;MY_LAYER;;LINE;.  Note the semi-colons, used to handle the <enter> key.

RAM maxed out at only 4 GB?  Ouch.  You have my condolences.  Looking for a new one is a good idea as desktop programs are only going to get more RAM hungry.  All the "lean software development" is being done in the mobile field for smart phones, tablets, and phablets.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 7
peter
in reply to: dgorsman

I appreciate the levity, most especially after a long day of sitting here learning and getting my ego and confidence bruised and battered. But there's been progress: answered some of my own questions about getting a template with titleblock and basic repeating layers and viewports set up.

Thanks for the macro info. I'll try and get into that this weekend.

Q: So how do you invoke the macro? In the other CAD program I'm used to, there's a macro manager where I can record the input (keyboard or mouse driven) and then assign it a keyboard shortcut.

Seems I wouldn't want a macro with global action to always puts LINE onto a specific layer as they would be on different ones depending on how I set up the drawing. But a global macro for construction lines that always made them red, in a dashed line style and went onto a layer :" Constuction Line" would be a help. Same for dimensions.

Thanks 

Message 6 of 7
maxim_k

Hi Peter,

You are right about templates in AutoCAD: you can save a lot of settings in them, such as Layers, Text and Dimension Styles, Linetypes, blocks (including Title block), Layouts, etc. Than if you will create new drawing with such template - everything will be at hand.

About adding and using macros in AutoCAD for Mac.

You can look at this video as general tutorial:

I also created a short video for your case:

In this video I used this macro:

^C^CLAYER;M;Dim;;DIMLINEAR;\\\LAYERP;

which creates (or sets current) layer with name "Dim", than calls DIMLINEAR command, than returns to the previous layer state.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 7 of 7
peter
in reply to: maxim_k

Wow! That's so helpful. And exciting.

Thank you 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost