AutoCAD for Mac General Discussion

galushle
Message 1 of 23 (3,914 Views)
Accepted Solution

Layer States Manger in AutoCad LT 2013 for MAC

3914 Views, 22 Replies
01-11-2013 07:53 AM

Hi, 

I have been searching the web and have been finding mixed resposes... Does Layer States or Layer States Manager exist in AutoCad LT 2013 for MAC? 

When I type it into the command bar it comes back as unknow... When I type it into the search command it doesn't find it.

Is it now called something different? if it doesn't exist, is there another way to acheive (creating certain grouping of layers that will "turn on" and "turn off" only in certain situations) using another command or tool?

Thanks! 

Hi,

Unfortunately there is no Layer State manager in Mac versions of AutoCAD (LT and full).

You can only use "State" option of -LAYER command to control Layer states.

For the full version of AutoCAD for Mac I created a kind of command line version of Layer State manager, but it is an AutoLISP routine, which doesn't work in LT.

Maxim

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 23 (3,902 Views)

Re: Layer States Manger in AutoCad LT 2013 for MAC

01-11-2013 08:45 AM in reply to: galushle

Is it listed in HELP as available? Does HELP offer other suggestions?

It was not listed in HELP in LT2012 for MAC from what I can tell.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
galushle
Message 3 of 23 (3,895 Views)

01-11-2013 09:04 AM in reply to: pendean

It is not listed in the HELP for LT2013 either.

*Expert Elite*
maxim_k
Message 4 of 23 (3,889 Views)

01-11-2013 11:28 AM in reply to: galushle

Hi,

Unfortunately there is no Layer State manager in Mac versions of AutoCAD (LT and full).

You can only use "State" option of -LAYER command to control Layer states.

For the full version of AutoCAD for Mac I created a kind of command line version of Layer State manager, but it is an AutoLISP routine, which doesn't work in LT.

Maxim

Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | MARSS

galushle
Message 5 of 23 (3,880 Views)

Re: Layer States Manger in Autocad LT 2013 for MAC

01-11-2013 02:21 PM in reply to: maxim_k

Thank you for that info! I feel silly asking this... But how do I get to the state option in "Layer". 

If I understand correctly I should be typing in the word LAYER and in the command bar the following should appear in the command bar:

[?/Make/Set/New/Rename/ON/OFF/Color/Ltype/LWeight/TRansparency/MATerial/Plot/PStyle/Freeze/Thaw/LOck/Unlock/stAte/Description/rEconcile]:

I should then type State...

Well, it doesn't happen. When I type the in the word "layer" (maybe I am not even supposed to be doing that) nothing happens, not even in the command bar. If I type in the word layer I notice multiple options that include the word layer appear. However, none of these say layerstate or something similar. 

I know I am doing something wrong, so thank you in advance for your detailed response!!!

THANKS!!!

*Expert Elite*
maxim_k
Message 6 of 23 (3,871 Views)

01-11-2013 06:14 PM in reply to: galushle
Hi,

You have to type -LAYER (yes, with hyphen before word LAYER) with this option you will enter command line mode of LAYER command, which allows you to select different options including State option.
Then you will get new branch of options about Layer states (see Help for information on each option).

Maxim
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | MARSS

galushle
Message 7 of 23 (3,863 Views)

01-12-2013 05:14 AM in reply to: maxim_k

THANK YOU!!! I was not typing in the hyphen. All fixed!

Thanks for all you help.

Contributor
awl1l
Message 8 of 23 (2,990 Views)

07-11-2013 11:37 AM in reply to: galushle

WIthout a states manager, how are MAC users to effectively use Layouts? Having to re-create the layer "state" for each viewport is time consuming & frustrating. 

I have a further question to throw out here wrt layouts & viewports. I would like to create layout tabs for each 'sheet' in a set of drawings. And for each layout I would like to have one of my borders (where I have my logo, dates, the scale, name of the sheet and other info). I would like to insert each border (the border might change depending on the layout) into the layout, BUT I don't want the border to show up back in model space. However, the only way I seem to be able to insert a border drawing as a block, is if I double click inside a viewport... and this of course also inserts the border into the model space (so I end up having bunches of borders plopped down in my orignal drawing (yuck). If I have not double clicked in the viewport, I can draw can shapes (eg, circle, rectangle etc) generally on the layout (where its not in the viewport). These shapes do not appear in model space (so its good for making notes particular to the layout). I really don't want to have to redraw the different logos for each viewport in each layout. (and for that matter, sometimes one wants a border for each viewport in the layout, and then a border that goes around all the viewports in the layout. Is there any way to do this with blocks?

I would even settle for being able to create a layer (and inserting my blocks onto it) that I can turn ON in the layout, but have turned OFF/FROZEN in model space (and to be able to do this with my autocad 2013 for MAC). 

PS:

Allow me to also vent by asking the question: why are there so many features in Autocad for MAC that are different from Autocad  for PC. Its terribly difficult for those of us used to the PC "world". And its also very frustrating when we have discussions with other Autocad users only to find out that we are talking different languages (PC acad vs MAC acad). Was this done out of a keen wicked sense of humor, or are there technical reasons?

- ART

*Expert Elite*
maxim_k
Message 9 of 23 (2,988 Views)

07-11-2013 11:48 AM in reply to: awl1l
Hi ART,

Are you using AutoCAD LT for Mac or full AutoCAD for Mac?

Maxim
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | MARSS

*Expert Elite*
maxim_k
Message 10 of 23 (2,985 Views)

07-11-2013 11:53 AM in reply to: awl1l

Now your question about Title blocks (borders) in Layout.

The same way as you can draw lines, create text in Layout (and not inside viewport in Layout) - you can insert blocks in Layout and this block will never appears in Model space.

Have you tried this for your title blocks?

I use blocks (Title blocks) in Layouts every time and don't have any troubles with them.

Maxim

Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | MARSS

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.