AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layer Group creating duplicate layers-AutoCAD for MAC 2013

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
mmiazga
2145 Views, 6 Replies

Layer Group creating duplicate layers-AutoCAD for MAC 2013

I'm having issues moving layers into a Layer Group in AutoCAD 2013 for MAC (full version)

I can create a new layer group with no difficulty-but when I go to either drag and drop the layers I want in the group, or highlight a layer, right-click and then hit the group I want-cad COPIES the layers into the Group.

So now I have layers in a group, and the exact same layers in the regular Layer List. I cannot delete the original layers I tried to move into a group. No matter what I do I simply keep creating copies of the chosen layers.

What am I doing wrong?

Michelle

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
maxim_k
in reply to: mmiazga

Hi,
Answered here:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-for-Mac-General/Xref-with-tonnes-of-layers/m-p/4882820#M11143

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 7
jbmwoodward
in reply to: maxim_k

Hi Maxim,

Thanks for your post, it was helpful. I am trying to set up an autocad file for my company as a template with the intention of appearing as simple and user friendly as possible. I have grouped sets of layers, for example between the architecture and urban design sectors of the business, and can see people being confused by the appearance of the same layers inside the groups as well as outside.
Is there a way of hiding the layers outside of the groups?

Thanks,

Jack

Message 4 of 7
maxim_k
in reply to: mmiazga

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!
Hi Jack,

Nothing has changed since that time:
"As about your question about duplicate layer names in Groups and in Layers list - this is normal behavior - you should see layer name twice if it is a member of group (one - inside group, and another - in layers list)."

You can not hide layers outside groups.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 5 of 7
hjlblog
in reply to: maxim_k

So sad!

I don't understand the point of doing this - actually is "changing to this" from the oringinal windows version. 

annoying when you need to find a layer which is not in any groups, you need find it from the list of all the layers, instead of just close all the groups to hide the irelavent layers.

Message 6 of 7
jacobsolomon6
in reply to: hjlblog

+1

Lessens the purpose of creating a group considerably.

Message 7 of 7
jonschorah
in reply to: jacobsolomon6

agreed. the whole point of layer groups for me is to close the folders and hide related layer so the list becomes easier to manage. can this be fixed / set as an option, so layers in groups don't show up outside of the group list?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost