AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

large format PDF files

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
makitecture
8504 Views, 18 Replies

large format PDF files

I am using AutoCAD LT for Mac and would like to be able to make large format PDF files.  I have only one printer installed and the maximum page size is legal.  It makes great PDF files as long as they are letter or legal.  Is there a way to install a "phantom" printer that has architectural sheet sizes, preferably in color?

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
maxim_k
in reply to: makitecture

Hi,

You don't need to install any additional printers/plotters. You just have to add custom paper sizes:

1. File -> Page Setup Manager -> from "gear' menu -> Edit... -> From Paper size drop-down list -> Manage Custom Sizes -> then + to add paper size:

Screen shot 2011-11-29 at 7.37.47.png

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 19
makitecture
in reply to: maxim_k

Thanks for the response.  Yes, i did this but the software wouldn't write the PDF file because the printer wouldn't support that size.  I understand that i am not printing to a physical piece of paper but as i understand it the selected printer must support the sheet size in order to create the PDF.

Please let me know if I am incorrect.  If not please let me know where i might get a driver that does support architectural sheet sizes.  Perhaps the one in the example (HP Designjet 450) provided it produces quality PDF files?

Message 4 of 19
maxim_k

I think it should work with any paper sizes when you create PDF files, instead of printing to physical device. So you do not need to install additional printers in your system.
But if you want, you can install additional printer(s) via Print & Scan pane. If you want to install HP plotter an you are using Lion- you have to download and install latest HP Printer Driver Update from apple.com. Than you have to install plotter as Network device and "connect" it via localhost port (please, search this forum for details on installation as I'm on mobile phone and have problems with in-depth explanation)

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 19
makitecture

hmm.. worked this time, I wonder what i did wrong the first time.  Thanks

Message 6 of 19
gregory

Maxim,

How do you modify the printable area of existing or the standard paper sizes that come with your plotter?  Or do i have to make a custom paper size to do that?

Thanks,

-G

Message 7 of 19
maxim_k
in reply to: gregory

Hi gregory,

Yes, you have to create custom paper size to do that and set Non-Printable area to for Top, Bottom, Left, Right.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 8 of 19
gregory

Maxim ,

Thank you!  I did make a new custom size, kinda blows but I guess it's really a new way to save a new page setup!  It's kinda cool that it's available for every new drawing without having to import them!

I do have a new question, My lines look weird when I print PDF's, although they print fine, the look like the attached screen shot when i save the PDF, any thoughts?

Thanks,

-G

Message 9 of 19
maxim_k

Could you post sample DWG file along with Plot Style table file (sure, you are using it)?

The case could be:

- in CTB/STB file,

- wide polylines, if you are using it and use Batch Publish,

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 10 of 19
gregory

Maxim

It happens in both Lion and Mountain Lion BTW.

Here is the sample file, if you're ever near the LA area, let me know when I can buy you some drinks!

Thanks,

-G

Message 11 of 19
maxim_k

Hi Gregory,

In order to improve the situation try to change "line end style" and "line join style" in your CTB file from "diamond" and "miter" to "Use object line end style" and "Use object join style" option accordingly.

PS. Unfortunately I'm not in LA area, but rather on the other side of the world (Moscow, Russia)

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 12 of 19
gregory

Dude!  You're amazing!

Thanks so much!

-G

Message 13 of 19
kdahl81

I recently switched to using AutoCAD for MAC, and I am trying to find out whether you can print to PDF with NO printer installed with a MAC computer. Basically, if I work from home, (I do not have any physical printer), but still need to send my clients drawings. I cannot figure out a workaround since previously i used the DWG to PDF option. I don't understand how any home office could use MAC version of AutoCAD with this type of limitation.

Also i have had issues with the quality when I have had access to printer, and then choose the "save as PDF". The lines seem to have wacky vector points and text is warped and elongated. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

Message 14 of 19
gregory
in reply to: kdahl81

If you have a printer installed already but it's not online you can still print PDF's...  Do you not have any printers installed?

Message 15 of 19
kdahl81

No printers installed on my home computer. Never had a need in the digital world of 2012. So AutoCAD for MAC requires users to have at least one printer to be installed in order to print anything to PDF? I read another post where someone recommended to install a phantom (fake printer) but I have no idea how to do this and also resent AutoDesk, Apple, and Adobe for not figuring this out.

Message 16 of 19
David_Stacey

All you need to do is install an IP printer in System Preferences (same place as you'd install a physical printer). Make up a fake (but valid) ip address and away you go.
I also recommend you install the Gutenprint drivers first. Just google for this.
I use a HP Designjet driver but you could choose something else if you want.
Message 17 of 19
kdahl81

No printers installed on my home computer. Never had a need in the digital world of 2012. So does AutoCAD for MAC requires users to have at least one printer to be installed in order to print anything to PDF? I read another post where someone recommended to install a phantom (fake printer) but I have no idea how to do this and also resent AutoDesk, Apple, and Adobe for not figuring this out.
Message 18 of 19
David_Stacey
in reply to: kdahl81

Installing a 'fake' printer is easy.  

1. Go to System Preferences, Click on 'Print and Scan'.

2. Click on the '+' icon to adda new printer

3. At the top of the Add Printer window, click on IP

4. Protocol should be IPP, use 203.56.1.20 or some other made up IP address

5. Queue can be left blank

6. Select a printer from 'Print Using'

7. Click on 'Add' button.

If you install the Gutenprint drivers for Mac OS X, you can use a different printer driver like HP Designjet (or similar) so that you can print to large format page sizes as well (without having to add custom paper sizes).

Message 19 of 19
pgbradley27

Dear Autodesk community,

I’ve been struggling with the conversion of some house plan DWG files to PDF for a few days now. The advice here finally solved the problem for me. I downloaded AutoCAD LT and ‘virtual’ printed the file via the ‘print’ -> ‘PDF’ option on our MacBook. The DWG files were A1 size and so I had to add a custom size paper to the print options from my home (standard) Epson printer but this was straightforward and A1 came up as a choice within the 'gears' of custom paper size. I had tried solidworks e-print software and even downloading Adobe Acrobat to try and do this conversion but it was without success.

Thanks very much to everyone for their advice and especially Maxim who obviously took time explaining things to us.

Thanks and kind regards. Peter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost