AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lagging screen .. It is terrible

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
jschaap
2448 Views, 15 Replies

Lagging screen .. It is terrible

First of all I would like to say that I am very happy with the new 2012 and did make improvements of things that we are used to on the windows platform.. But one thing seem to be more terrible then the 2011 version.. It is the screen lag. When working on a drawing I keep zooming in and out and in.. To get my lines on screen and not to be it all black.. And again when jumping to another part of the drawing... Zoom in.Out.In.Out and there it is to get a fillet of a command done.. This is really annoying and I feel like uninstall the whole autocad software and go back to to draftsight.. there at least you do not feeling robbed of missing/lagging things. I am using a macbook pro nov.2010 with 8gb. I am sure it is not of the hardware.. it is just autodesk again that thinks it is "mac compatible", "mac justify" well it is not....

Unless there is something to resolve this, but I've seen I am not the only one here with this very unworkable annoying problem

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
ericechols85
in reply to: jschaap

This was an issue in the 2011 release, and the issue now in 2012 is different (often improved) but the results are similar. It is obvious there is a new rendering engine working, and many times it works quite well, but there are still numerous instances where during a pan/zoom lines and layers will inexpicably disappear and reappear by zooming in or out a step or two. Similarly, there is still a lot of latency and lag in zooming when there are lots of objects with editable text attributes. I notice the problem less with lines. I can attest that AutoCAD 2012 in Windows (via Parallels and Boot Camp) on the same machine does not exhibit this behavior. I know that the graphics drivers are completely different, but performance should be similar and it unfortunately is not yet.

Message 3 of 16
RangrStudio

I agree this is a major annoyance. Seems to happen more if there are hatch patterns in the drawing.
Message 4 of 16
maxim_k
in reply to: ericechols85

The same issue here, especially with solid hatches, that have True color.

BTW - it appears that the AutoCAD LT for Mac problem does not have such issue.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 5 of 16
RangrStudio

Has anyone heard of any progress on this issue?  Editing a large document takes twice as long with all the zooming in and out, which makes working very frustrating.

Strange that LT avoids the problem, but perhaps that's hope for a quick fix?

A $4000 software program really ought not to have such problems.

Message 6 of 16
maxim_k
in reply to: RangrStudio

Hi all,

What mouse you are using?

I have noticed that in my case the problem gone away when I changed my Apple Magic Mouse to an old Microsoft Explorer Mouse with wheel (it has the wheel with "incremental" turning, not "smooth" turning like Magic Mouse has). The key, IMHO, is in incremental zoom, that MS Mouse provide - looks like AutoCAD have enough time to refresh display and objects won't disappear after zoom operation.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 7 of 16
jschaap
in reply to: maxim_k

Magic Mouse here..

Message 8 of 16
RangrStudio

Magic mouse also.

Message 9 of 16
ericechols85

I've tried the Magic Mouse, built-in track pad, and a Logitech with incrememental scroll. The incremental scroll wheel masks the problem, but it still slows when zooming in on a complex drawing. The interesting thing is that the Magic Mouse zooms with no problem on the Windows side on the same computer. 

Message 10 of 16
RangrStudio
in reply to: ericechols85

I tried my old apple mighty mouse (wheel scrolling) and it doesn't have the problem the magic mouse has.  There is very short delay but the screen regenerates with the wheel mouse.  

Perhaps it's due to the momentum scrolling feature on the magic mouse?

It really needs to be fixed, though.  Using two different mice on my computer is not a solution.

Message 11 of 16
RangrStudio

Tried disabling momentum (intertia) scrolling.  (system prefs-->universal access-->mouse & trackpad-->mouse options-->select scrolling wihout inertia).

But it didn't help.

Anyone at Autocad have anything to say....?

Message 12 of 16
cmcfayden

I am trying out the Autocad for Mac 2012 trial before I buy the LT version.  I started using it with the Magic trackpad and everything worked fine.  I then switched back to my Magic mouse and was experiencing all of these problems.  I checked the forum and found this string and then switched back to the trackpad... Problem solved!!!!!

Message 13 of 16
RangrStudio

The scrolling with trackpad is very slow.  Have you tried this with a medium or large drawing?

I'm very disappointed not to hear anything from Autodesk about this issue.

Message 14 of 16
maxim_k

Have you tried to "scroll" using two fingers with Alt (Option) key? (if you mean zoom with scrolling)

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 15 of 16

Nothing seems to be changed... now in 2015 autocad version under Yosemite 10.3.3 the lagging screen is still present. I noticed that horizontal pan has a kind of “pixelate” (showing graphic artifacts) transition while vertical pan is ok. Someone attributes this strange behavior to the Vsync, or depending by incompatibility with Nvidea Drivers (I am using GeForce graphic Card on iMac) but anyway the problem is not solved. Then, running autocad 2015 the entire mac graphic system appears degraded, affecting (for ex) the iTunes library when you scroll that became lagging and glitched and requires a logout or restart of the Mac
Message 16 of 16
KEm.isma

same problem so annoying . please get a solution as son as possible.

best regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost