AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with PDF file size

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Integrand
7233 Views, 7 Replies

Issue with PDF file size

I tried to search on this issue, and while seeing similar issue, I can't find a feasible solution.

So we just had Autocad LT for Mac 2013 installed few weeks ago, and have noticed that the pdf file size went from typically 4-5MB (on Windows version) to 40MB.  As you can see this create a huge issue trying to send to clients or to print shop.  

I have tried different things:

Color sync utilitity to reduct pdf file size - went from 40MB to 27MB, still too big, and doing this multiple times doesn't shrink anymore

Install 3rd party pdf utility to try to shrink file size - similar result as above

Use adobe acrobat 8.0 and use the reduce file size - again similar issue.

Try autocad WS online - while I can share the files thru the web interface, it's still very inconvenient.  I try printing it to pdf using the autocad WS web interface, but can only print 1 sheet at a time for some reason (I have 18 sheets).  

Try numerous different font types - files are still big

What else can I try?!  I really don't want to install parallel and use a windows copy of autocad to just to the pdf export, sort of defeat the purpose of having a native Autocad for Mac.

Please help, thanks for any suggestions...  Btw my mac should have the latest os, should be 10.8 i believe, and the autocad for mac was purchased and download like less than 2 months ago.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
maxim_k
in reply to: Integrand

Hi,

I'm afraid, there is no direct solution for your problem if you are using AutoCAD for Mac.

Yes, PDF file sizes are bigger when you output them on Mac. Why?

First, I have noticed, that if you have raster image files attached to DWG file, the PDF size is bigger in Mac version. In this case you can reduce PDF file size with Color Sync utility, as you mentioned correctly.

The second issue - if you have a lot of text objects in DWG file - PDF grows in size extremely. And nothing can help in reducing PDF file size because on Mac each text object exported from AutoCAD to PDF becomes a set of of geometric primitives (this enlarge file size extremely), unlike in Windows, where text in PFD output remains plain text.

There is also third issue on Mac - if you set lineweights for objects via Plot Style table file and use "miter line join style, then each line become not just line with width, but an outlined and filled geometric shape (for example wide one segment line become filled rectangle). This also grows PDF file size.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 8
Integrand

Hi Maxim,

Thanks for your quick reply.  Does autocad ws allow you to plot to pdf for multiple pages?  Somehow it only lets me do 1 sheet at a time.

Also, any other pdf utility out there that can shrink the pdf file size significantly?  I would imagine if I print all the pages out, and scan it to pdf, that the file would be smaller.  But is there such print to pdf utility that achieves that (without needing to actually print it out?)

If I have parallel desktop, do I need the actual autocad program to export my .dwg into pdf?  Or is there simpler utility that can does that?  

Thanks again fo your help.

Regards,
Kyle Chan

Integrand, Inc.
Structural Engineering & Design

250 Clara Terrace
Fremont, CA 94539
510-299-7520 (phone)
Message 4 of 8
maxim_k

Hi Kyle,

1. Seems that AutoCAD WS can output only one sheet at time, you are correct.
2. About reducing PDF file size: I'm afraid there is no such utility for reducing PDF file size if PDF contains only (or primary) vector data - in this case - "exploded" text objects.
3. And about option to batch publish to PDF in Windows virtual machine. Not sure, but you can check Autodesk Design Review application.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 8
dgorsman
in reply to: maxim_k

For generic printing I'd recommend TrueView, rather than DesignReview.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 8
maxim_k

Thanks for clarification about TrueView.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 7 of 8
Tr1xx

OK I admit this post may be a red herring; I am only familiar with PC versions of AutoCAD, but this post may prompt someone else to tweak the logic to suit a Mac system.

Earlier today I was using AutoCAD to produce a PDF via the Adobe Acrobat Pro print driver. The original AutoCAD file is 600kb but the PDF produced was over 3MB and significantly too big to submit to my local authority web site. I tried making alterations to the drawing but basically after wasting hours I was getting nowhere. After googling the issue I eventually found the solution. The final PDF size is now 350kb ... almost 90% smaller ... here is how I did it ...

Generally you should only use Iso or Arial fonts, i.e. use only standard TrueType fonts built into PDF readers

Do not change the default AutoCAD text width factor from 1.0

Do not use an oblique angle within the style; it must be set to 0

If the font is part of a block, the X and Y scale factors must be the same

Tweak the properties section of the PDF driver settings in the AutoCAD Printer Configuration Editor. Go to "Device and Document Settings" tab. Under the Graphics heading look for "TrueType Text" & ensure it is set for "TrueType as text" (rather than "as graphics"). You will be able to save the change to a PC3 file. This should then be set as the default printer/plotter for the current layout within the drawing. You may want to use this generally.

Basically, my size problem was down to the misuse of fonts in a drawing with a lot of text. Apart from a significant decrease in file size, by using this method the resulting PDF will also be text searchable.

Message 8 of 8
maxim_k
in reply to: Tr1xx

Hi,

Your advice should work perfectly on PC, but not on Mac.

AutoCAD for Mac "explodes" text to vector objects before print data reaches real print device or virtual print driver (in case of saving to PDF), so all tricks with font settings doesn't work at all. Smiley Sad

Also, there is no PC3 configuration files in AutoCAD for Mac - it saves plotter configuration inside DWG file, and in case of absence of a device or custom paper size on machine, where you open DWG file - it uses default System printer and default paper size until you create new page setup with available device and paper size.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost