AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing 3D Sketchup models to 3D Autocad

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
kristinabhalter
581 Views, 3 Replies

Importing 3D Sketchup models to 3D Autocad

I have been making drawings in autocad from models I receive from my designer that are created in sketchup. 

The problem is, the 3D sketchup models are not recognized as solids by AutoCAD so I cannot perform features such as SOLVIEW/SOLDRAW

on the models and instead have to re-draw them in AutoCAD.  I am currently re-drawing them as 2D but would like to be able to work with them as 3D Models.

Is there a way to convert the files to solid?  I have tried a number of ways to do this but they don't work.

Thanks for your help!

Best,

Krstin

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
pendean
in reply to: kristinabhalter

Message 3 of 4
frankwil
in reply to: kristinabhalter

I don't know if this is the same issue I've been having or not, but I've been battling with it for the last week. 3D models exported as DWG files from Sketchup Pro 2014 Mac were viewable, but completely un-editable in Autocad (2013) Mac. What I found was that upon launcing the exported files in Autocad, they were immediately locked in the finder. It took some time to notice this because the file returned to an unlocked state after being closed.  The workaround that I found was to simply go back to the file in the finder after opening it, and remove the locked state in the "get info" window. This allowed write access to the file back in Autocad. As for conversion to solid, I had to explode the group my model was in after export before I could apply any of the solid conversion commands to it. 

Hope this helps.

Frank

Message 4 of 4
kristinabhalter
in reply to: frankwil

Hello-Thank you for your response.

I am not really having the same problem as you and I tried exploding the model and that didn't work either.  
Here is a run-down of the problem I am having:

I am sending a very simple file with the example.

The red cube was exported as a 3D DWG using sketchup.

I opened it in AutoCAD and drew the blue cube using the modeling features in AutoCAD.

In paper space, I used the SOLVIEW command to create a top and right view.

I then used the SOLDRAW command to project 2D versions of the solids.  The command only works for the blue AutoCAD model, and not the red sketchup cube.

If I try performing SOLVIEW on a sketchup model by itself, it allows me to complete the SOLVIEW command, but then when I use the SOLDRAW command, the command line reads :Non-SOLVIEW viewport ignored.

Thank you for your attention with this.  

Other things I have attempted: exploding the sketchup model, making the sketchup model a compontent before export

Best,

Kristin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost