AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with AutoCAD 2014 for Mac - it won't open up

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
jackie.henson6
6200 Views, 20 Replies

Help with AutoCAD 2014 for Mac - it won't open up

Hi All

I am new to the forum.

I have just updated my mac to mavericks and have downloaded a trial version of AutoCAD 2014. Although it downloads ok and seems to install ok, it just won't open up the programme.

I have tried un-installing it and starting again, i have even tried downloading the file again but to no avail.

I just get an error report to say that it had to close unexpectedly.

Anyone have any ideas on what I can try and do to solve this

Thanking you in advance

Jackie

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
jessica.t
in reply to: jackie.henson6

Hello Jackie and welcome to the Autodesk Community!

Will you follow the troubleshooting steps as explained in this thread? This thread also mentions Adobe products possibly causing issues. And although this seems pretty straight forward, it's a good idea to check your system requirements as well.

Be sure to let me know how it goes. If you have any other questions please respond to this post.

Thank you!

Jessica Thrasher
Message 3 of 21
maxim_k

Hi,

Have you passed an Activation stage (have you seen dialog where you choose Activate or run as Trial)?

Or you get Error report window just after you are trying to launch AutoCAD?

In general I can say you may have permissions problems on your Mac, but not really sure.

Could you post here System log messages (you can look for them in Console.app) from the moment when you pick on AutoCAD icon in the Dock till the moment when Error report appears?

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 4 of 21
jackie.henson6
in reply to: maxim_k

Hi Maxim

Thank you for your message.

Yes I have passed tha activation page where i select 'continue trial' then it is after this that the programme does not respond.

Below is the screen shot you mentioned (hope it makes sense to you as I have no idea what it is all about!)

Thanks very much

Jackie

Message 5 of 21
maxim_k

Hi Jackie,
Yes, that is what I want to see.
Do you have any Adobe software installed on your Mac?
If yes, than look at this post:

http://macacad.wordpress.com/2010/11/25/autocad-for-mac-and-adobe-software/

It is about AC 2011 for Mac, but you can use it for AC 2014 if the problem is in Adobe software already installed on your Mac
Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 6 of 21
jackie.henson6

Hi Maxim

Thanks again for your response

I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 installed on my computer and Adobe reader.

I had a look at the link you provided but there is no FLEXnet file in my library/preferences folder so not sure what else to look for

Regards

Jackie

Message 7 of 21
maxim_k

Are you sure that you looking in right place? You have to look for Library folder in the root folder of your Mac, not inside your home folder.
If you was looking in right place, than it seems that AutoCAD, or LMU application -license manager utility - can not write information to necessary place on your Mac HD.
I never had a chance to work with this problem "face-to-face" (I mean the attempt to solve this problem sitting at the computer with such symptoms), at the same time you can find a lot of posts here with complains about such installation problem. Seems that you also have permissions problem on your Mac.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 8 of 21

Hi Maxim

I assume i have gone to the correct folder.

I went to finder - go - go to folder and then typed in ~/Library/ and pressed return

I then located the preferences folder within there but there was no file of FLEXnet

I have never had issues running AutoCAD on my computer before so not sure what has happened now.

When you say permission problems with my mac - what does that mean and do you know how to resolve it (or steer me in the right direction?)

Thanks and i really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my queries

Regards

Jackie

Message 9 of 21
maxim_k

~/Library/ is not correct place, you should type:
/Library/
- without tilde, because tilde in Unix language means your Home folder (/Users/YOUR_ACCOUNT_NAME/)
So, please try to look in right place once again.
Crossing fingers, waiting...

Max

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 10 of 21
jackie.henson6

Thank you
I have located the file now. I will follow the instructions on your previous link and report back to you. Thank you for your patience
Jackie

Sent from my iPhone
Message 11 of 21

Hi

I have followed the steps in the link and downloaded AutoCAD LT again.

Unfortunately, this time it is going to the activation page but it is not giving the option of trial and only has the activate option.

As i don't have an activation key at the moment as i have not yet bought the product then i am unable to see if the programme will work.

I had only used one of the days on the trial previously as i only downloaded it yesterday

Any thoughts on getting past this so i can see if it is going to work?

Thanks

Message 12 of 21
maxim_k

Hi Jackie,
Strange things... Theoretically you should not loose the ability to run AutoCAD in trial mode if the first installation of AutoCAD on this Mac as in less than one month, even if you remove first activation information, as you probably did. At the same time this is true only if you did not change System time on your machine.
What files were in the " /Library/Preferences/" folder which you moved to another location according to the step #2 of instructions?
Do you have this original folder on your Mac still?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 13 of 21

HI Maxim

I haven't made any other changes to my computer other than those mentioned in the various links that you have posted for me.

The first time i downloaded AutoCAD 2014 was on the 21st of Novemeber.

I tried the unstallation with both the full version and the LT version.

I am getting the activation page on both versions with no option to continue with the trial.

I have attached a screen shot with the Flexnet folders in. Yes i still have this on my computer, i moved them to a folder on my desktop (is that ok?)

Jackie

Message 14 of 21
maxim_k

Hi Jackie,

I'm here and ready to help you.

Good news that FLEXnet Publisher folder from previous installation still is in folder on your Desktop.

Now do the following:

Leave AC LT installed on your Mac.

Go to /Library/Preferences folder and trash (delete) FLEXnet Publisher folder from it.

No copy FLEXnet Publisher folder you saved inside folder on Desktop back to /Library/Preferences folder, you will be prompted to enter your admin password.

Now you restored to the state you have before you start yesterday.

Reboot your Mac, start AC LT, you should see "Trial" button again. (In my case it appear). Try to run trial and report again. If you will get Error report again - I'll try to move further with you.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 15 of 21
otchie

Hi,

I downloaded autocad 2014 on my mac and it was running great. I thrn installed bootcamp and windows 7, so that i could download Revit, and when i try to ooen autocad it wont open any longer? I have now deleted the windows via bootcamp and it still wont open. Sometimes it will start if i click a saved drawing but not sure what went wrong and that does not always open?. Any help please!. Thank you.
Message 16 of 21
maxim_k
in reply to: otchie

Hi

@otchie wrote:
... Sometimes it will start if i click a saved drawing ...

If you are able to launch AutoCAD by this way - then try to Reset Application Options on Application tab of AutoCAD Preferences (menu AutoCAD -> Preferences -> Application tab, the button "Reset Application Options" is on the bottom right side.

If you have installed SP1 for AutoCAD you can also try to Reset Autocad this way:

http://wp.me/p10TA2-ed

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 17 of 21
ppmoney

Hi Same here... i have posted in another threat my problem... it was working great... i didnt really do anything and i got a crash and then it wouldnt open again. Gave this error WHIP failed to initaliazed... tried the whole unistall and install again and no luck ... now i dont get the WHIP error but directly it wont even start the Cad... not even the trial version of 30 days i can get to work. 

I need urgent help. Thanks! 

Message 18 of 21

I've been having some problems with starting Autocad (it never passes the loading page, just disappears), and it seemed to be like some Adobe products I've downloaded might be the problem. So I took your advice and followed the steps. I even uninstalled and re-installed Autocad twice, but nothing seems to be working. Also worth mentioning, I can't seem to find any other folders inside the FLEXnet Publisher (e.g. the FLEX net subfolder). 

Message 19 of 21
a.rose

When i try to activate my student account for autodesk using the link given in the email it says 

"Your account has not been activated yet"
 and keeps going n like this every time i resend the email.
Help
Thanks
Message 20 of 21
joane.bonghanoy
in reply to: a.rose

Hi @a.rose, 

I have manually activated your EDU Account. Please reply here if you're still having issues logging in. 

Joane Bonghanoy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost