AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help importing pdf or jpeg to scale

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
maddie1985
3767 Views, 15 Replies

help importing pdf or jpeg to scale

hi all,

i need to import a map, to scale into Auto cad 2011 to allow me to work over the top of (creating a map for an event).

I am having trouble comverting the fileinto a format that can be read by Auto cad

thanks

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
maxim_k
in reply to: maddie1985

Hi,

What format have the original file with map?
You can insert raster images into DWG file in AutoCAD 2011. If you have PDF file, you can open it in Preview.app and export to JPG format, then insert it with IMAGEATTACH command.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 16
maddie1985
in reply to: maxim_k

it is a pdf, i can convert it to jpeg though. i have tried what you suggested and was able to import into cad but it isnt to scale? would i be better of purchasing the map as a DWG file as it would then be to scale?

Message 4 of 16

I'm not sure how I got into "AUTOCAD FOR MAC GENERAL DISCUSSION", but I need to import a jpeg file into my Autocad 2010.

Message 5 of 16
maxim_k
in reply to: maddie1985

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!

If you are using AC 2010 for PC, than you also can use IMAGEATTACH command to attach an image to the drawing. The second way on Windows is to insert JPG as OLE object using copy/paste via clipboard.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 6 of 16
rhaskell

I wandered into this forum, because I haven't found any other posts on this topic. I'm using AC 2011 on a PC. We do a lot of work editing images in photoshop then bringing them in CAD. However, in this version of CAD, any image that has been edited and saved out of photoshop no longer comes in to scale in CAD. This never was the case in the past. The images remain perfectly at scale, until you save them in photoshop and it loses all scale (in CAD only - still to scale in InDesign). Has anyone ever encountered this? It's extremely important that we bring in drawings to scale and this currently doesn't seem possible. Please help!

Message 7 of 16
maxim_k
in reply to: rhaskell

Hi,

Have you installed all Service Packs for AC 2011?
What kind of editing you do in Photoshop? Does it includes scaling, changing size of canvas, etc.?

You can also ask your question here:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-2010-2011-2012/bd-p/529

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 8 of 16
rhaskell

Thanks, installed the updates to no avail. All image types edited in Photoshop CS5 lose any scale when brought in to CAD. Even something as simple as scanning a scaled drawing, then saving that file as a jpeg in Photoshop loses any scale reference when its inserted.

Message 9 of 16
maxim_k

Do you mean you insert the image to the drawing (IMAGEATTACH command), then edit it in Photoshop, then reload image and it looses it's scale?
Or I'm wrong...
Please describe your workflow in more details.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 10 of 16
rhaskell

Print a plan from CAD. Hand sketch linework over it. Scan sketch. Open in Photoshop - crop, color, etc. Save as jpeg, pdf, png, etc. IMAGEATTACH to bring sketch back into cad. The image file, once altered in Photoshop loses it's scale in relation to AutoCAD. It no longer relates to either an imperial or metric scale. I now have to Scale use the Align tool to visually scale the image to match the CAD linework (this is inexact and leads inevitably to errors). Images used to retain their scale perfectly. Images not opened in Photoshop retain their scale just fine. It just comes in in the initial attachment at an incorrect or unknown scale. If I have a graphic scale on the image from Photoshop, when inserted into CAD it gets completely unrelated to any scale. I'm not doing anything (that I'm aware of) to change scale in Photoshop. Could be a Photoshop Creative Suite 5 problem? We have multiple users with this problem. Thanks for your help!

Message 11 of 16
maxim_k

What if you just scan printed plan with hand sketches, and attach it to DWG? Do you have troubles with scale?
If no - than check resolution (dpi) of scanned image and resolution of the image after editing it in Photoshop. Are they the same?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 12 of 16
kevin.dong

To clarify, if you scan a 8.5 x 11 letter sheet of paper, it should appear as 8.5 units x 11 units in model space when you xref it into model space. but as soon as you open it with photoshop, you save it, it doesn't appear as 8.5 units by 11 units when you xref it into model space?
Message 13 of 16
giannikis

I have exactly the same problem (this is 2021). Have you found a solution? Thank you in advance.

Message 14 of 16
maxim_k
in reply to: giannikis

Hi @giannikis ,

This topic is rather old.

Please provide all details about the problem you have now.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 15 of 16
giannikis

Dear @maxim_k,

Problem still applies exactly as stated by @rhaskell,

Print a plan from CAD. Hand sketch linework over it. Scan sketch. Open in Photoshop - crop, color, etc. Save as jpeg, pdf, png, etc. IMAGEATTACH to bring sketch back into cad. The image file, once altered in Photoshop loses it's scale in relation to AutoCAD. It no longer relates to either an imperial or metric scale. I now have to Scale use the Align tool to visually scale the image to match the CAD linework (this is inexact and leads inevitably to errors). Images used to retain their scale perfectly. Images not opened in Photoshop retain their scale just fine. It just comes in in the initial attachment at an incorrect or unknown scale. If I have a graphic scale on the image from Photoshop, when inserted into CAD it gets completely unrelated to any scale. I'm not doing anything (that I'm aware of) to change scale in Photoshop. Could be a Photoshop Creative Suite 5 problem? We have multiple users with this problem. Thanks for your help!

Message 16 of 16
maxim_k
in reply to: giannikis

>>>>>> Could be a Photoshop Creative Suite 5 problem?

Yes, I think the problem is in a way how Photoshop saves raster images.
All image formats that AutoCAD can read as attachment are not native Photoshop's format. So, when you save an image for example in JPG format, Photoshop exports to this format. At this time the information about image resolution can be altered.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost