AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Function keys anyone?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
JohnRennie
2223 Views, 11 Replies

Function keys anyone?

Just recieved my box with AutoCAD for mac 2012.

Has anyone discovered if it is now possible to assign osnaps to the function keys?

ie

Endpoint + Node = F4

midpoint + Center = F5

etc..

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
David_Stacey
in reply to: JohnRennie

Hi John,

Have you made sure the keyboard settings in System Preferences have been set?

System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Place tick in "use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys"

Osnaps should then work as normal...

Message 3 of 12
JohnRennie
in reply to: David_Stacey

I have this set but it only allows the use of the AutoCAD standard function keys. It does not allow you to assign special commands (Osnap overrides) to function keys.

In the windows version there was an option to assign snaps to function keys within the cui

Message 4 of 12
maxim_k

Hi John,

Could you post the list of Osnap overrides with function keys names associated, that you use?

I can try to help you.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 5 of 12
JohnRennie
in reply to: maxim_k

Hi Maxim,

That would be great if you could. Here are the ones I used to have on my PC:

F1 = nea

F2 = txt/screen (standard key unchanged)

F3 = mid,nod

F4 = endp,qua

F5 = perp,tan

F6 = ins,cen

F7 = _non

F8 = ortho (standard key unchanged)

F9 = _from

F10 = _m2p

Ctrl+Q = appint

I normally have intersection as a running osnap but these keys are used as overrides.

John

Message 6 of 12
maxim_k

Hi John,

I just want to clarify: do you mean exactly overrides, i.e. your temporary osnap settings should work only when you press and hold specific function key (F-key) and when you release key - you want to get original osnap setting?

Or you want these keys to toggle osnap overrides - you press key to set new override. then you press it again and return to previous?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 7 of 12
JohnRennie

Nothing too technical, just press it once and you get the osnaps transparently just for the command you are on. I think by default the pc version would override any running osnap.

It is just like typing in 'end' then 'return' while in a command to snap to the endpoint, only in this case you would just press F4 once without having to hold it down.

In the pc version I created new command within the cui (ie endp,qua) then assigned them to a function key. Although I did this way back in version 2002/2004 and havent had to look at it again since

Does this make sense?

Message 8 of 12
maxim_k

@JohnRennie wrote:

Does this make sense?

Yes, thanks.

M

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 9 of 12
maxim_k

Hi John,

I have managed to make customization for you, but have to say: only only by half.

When you will make necessary actions (see instructions in attached file) you will get working only F1, F4, F5 and "CTRL+Q" shortcuts. Looks like F6, F7, F9 and F10 keys are hard-coded somewhere inside AutoCAD binaries and I did not have success with them. F3 should work, but doesn't work because of the bug in this product version (we shell wait for SP).

1. You have to put AcceleratorRoot.cui file from attached archive to /Applications/Autodesk/AutoCAD 2012/AutoCAD.app/Contents/Resources/ folder (make backup of AcceleratorRoot.cui file, that is currently in this folder in order to reverse changes.

2. Then locate MenuGroup.cui file inside /Users/max/Library/Application Support/Autodesk/roaming/AutoCAD 2012/R18.2/enu/Support/ folder, make backup copy of it. Open original file in text editor (I use Smultron, you can use for example TextWrangler from App Store - it is free). Scroll to the end of the file, locate strings:

</MenuMacro>   
    </MacroGroup>
</MenuGroup>

Screen shot 2011-08-25 at 17.43.12.png

at the end of the file, put cursor after </MacroGroup> string and hit Return to start new string, open file "For MenuGroup_cui.txt" from attachment, select all in it, copy to clipboard, and paste to MenuGroup.cui file to the new string, that you just created after </MacroGroup> string.

Save MenuGroup.cui file close text editor and start AutoCAD.

Let me know how it works.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 10 of 12
JohnRennie

Thanks Maxim,

I will try these out today. Do you know if it will also work for 2011? I had given up on 2012 until they fix the enter keys, ortho, etc. as I'm finding it restricts productivity too much.

John

Message 11 of 12
maxim_k

I think - yes, it should work in AC 2011, and you could use F3 shortcut (F6...F10 wouldn't work in 2011, as in 2012).
Don't forget to make backups 🙂
Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 12 of 12
JohnRennie

Hi Maxim,

Excellent work!

Works great except obviously F6 onwards. F3 still does not work but what you have done will help me enormously

I'll forward your files on to the guys at Autodesk and see if they can remove the locks on the other function keys before the next fixup gets released

Thanks,

John

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost