AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flatshot is not displaying all objects in my thawed layers. Autocad 2013 for MAC

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
acloucas
2959 Views, 4 Replies

Flatshot is not displaying all objects in my thawed layers. Autocad 2013 for MAC

FLATSHOT is not displaying all of the objects in my thawed layers.  

These items where 3D objects that I first inserted as xref's, keeping them in the same layer and later bound them to the drawing using BIND thinking this would help but alas no luck (I downloaded these objects from KCL Cad library).  

The other 3D objects that I drew from scratch are visible but for some reason the models that I pulled from the library aren't visible in my 2D flatshots.  I'm trying to make sectional drawings (drew a section plane then used flatshot to establish a 2d drawing for either side of the plane) but these integral objects aren't coming up in my flatshots.

I'm stumped...please help.  I've attached the file for anyone's assistance.  The layer in question is labeled "Equipment" Thank you!

-Andrew

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
maxim_k
in reply to: acloucas

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!

Hi Andrew,

I can not review your drawing in AutoCAD at the moment, but could you verify which type of AutoCAD primitives were used for creation of the problem objects in your drawing?

Projecting of 2D views of a 3D model using the FLATSHOT command can be applied only on 3D solids, surfaces and 3D meshes. Objects of the type "polyface mesh" (pface) can be easily converted to 3D meshes. Use e.g. the command MESHSMOOTH to get a 3D mesh. Then apply FLATSHOT on it.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 5
maxim_k

OK,

Here is the result of FLATSHOT command on my side (see attached)

It seems that all objects are in-place.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 4 of 5
acloucas
in reply to: maxim_k

Thank you for the reply Maxim and the block drawing. I truly appreciate your assistance.

Although the flatshot of the room you sent me looks great, I am having trouble getting the 3rd party 3D cooking and refrigeration equipment drawings in the flatshot (the walls were working for me previously as well).  

I tried the MESHSMOOTH command and selected that euipment and it returned an Invalid selection error.  Don't know how to approach these files. Is there another alternative?  

Let me upload one of the equipment files on its own - independent from the plan drawing to see if we can figure this out.  I don't know what primitives were used to generate these originally.  I downloaded it from the Manufacturer's website for proper dimensioning.  This is one of the ovens that isn't "flatshotting" in my plan.  It is from Montague Co.  Is there another way to convert this in order for Flatshot to work?

Message 5 of 5
acloucas

Thanks for informing me about Flatshot not working with 2D.  That really set me on the right path.  I was under the impression that the library files that I downloaded were in fact 3D primitives.  

I just tried a few other commands to see if I could cleanly convert these 2D drawings to 3D (tried CONVTOSOLID, CONVTOMESH, & ...TONUBS),  all partially worked.  It seems the files I downloaded from the manufacturer's website have a lot of open ended curves making the resulting 3d renditions misshapen with the loss of important areas that I guess have the open curves.  

I unfortunately think I have to redraw these files using the library images as an underlay.  If you have another recommendation that can save me some time in doing this Maxim, I would love to hear from you again.

Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost