AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

drawings plotting hazy from autocad to plotter, works fine to pdf

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Alder77
1038 Views, 11 Replies

drawings plotting hazy from autocad to plotter, works fine to pdf

When plotting from my imac computer to the hp designjet 500, the plots are quite grainy and pixelated.  The pdf's I plot on screen are crisp with the proper lineweights.  Because I use the ctb file and it works well (to pdf, not to the plotter) for my autocad for mac 2012, I believe this is a driver problem.  I'm not sure where to find the exact driver I need for OS 10.6.8.  Anyone have a resource or comment on this?  Thanks in advance.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Alder77
in reply to: Alder77

I wanted to note that I just did some test plots.  Both pdf and Autocad plots from my PC plot crisply and clearly.  Both pdf and Autocad plots from my imac (OS 10.6.8) are grainy.  Although to be clear, the pdf on screen from my imac using my ctb is crisp and non-grainy. 

Message 3 of 12
maxim_k

Hi,

Exactly the same problem here.

HP driver for DesignJet 500 for Mac OS Leopard/Snow Leopard was released in October, 2009, before this there was no driver for this device for OS X 10.5 / 10.6 in spite of the fact that Apple declared support for Designjet 500 in Leopard. I downloaded this driver from HP Support site (ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software11/COL31728/pl-78699-1/Mac_OS_X_HP_Designjet_Raster_Driver.dmg - for now this link is dead) at the end of 2009 and was disappointed with quality of output with this driver (there was no AutoCAD for Mac at that time, of course).

I have seen on HP Support site new driver for DesignJet 500 for Lion, but have not opportunity to test it.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 4 of 12
Alder77

Thanks Maxim,

It's relieving on one hand to know that it's not from my lacking of navigational skiils that I couldn't find the driver for the OS 10.6.  The links on the HP site seem to bring me in continual loops, with no actual link that will download a driver.  Feeling very frustrated by this.  Would love to download and try the OS Lion driver, but alas, cannot find the software itself to download from HP's extensive driver links.  Any trick I'm missing that you know of?

Alder

Message 5 of 12
maxim_k

Hi,

Here is the link to HP downloads page for DesignJet 500 plotter:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=20987&pr...
and to the driver itself:
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL39813/pl-97211-1/Mac_OS_X_HP_Designjet_Raster_Driver.dmg

It is driver for OSX Lion only.

HTH
Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 6 of 12
Alder77
in reply to: maxim_k

Thanks very much.  I'm going to try it now.  Will keep you apprised.  It must be that snow leopard is not supported with a driver?  I get to a similar window with OS 10.6, but no download tab, only the circluar "obtain software" link.

Alder

Message 7 of 12
Alder77

I tried to install the driver for the Lion OS, it would not install.  The installer downloaded fine and went through the motions but came back with the message that the system does not contain the minimum requirements, ie it is Snow Leopard not Lion.  Is it possible that there actually is no driver for OS 10.6, and that the only solution is to upgrade to Lion?

Message 8 of 12
maxim_k

Yes, it seems that HP has removed the old drivers for OSX 10.6 from it's support site.

But do you really need it? Surely you wrote that you have it installed and it is rather bad.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 9 of 12
Alder77

Maxim,

I supposed the only reason that I do need it is because our office has these imacs with snow leopard on them, and that particular HP DJ 500.  I was hoping that the poor printing quality was due to an outdated driver.  I have a friend at Apple who gave me a packet of drivers for snow leopard, in which my plotter is listed.  I am going to test it as soon as I get my plotter listed on my available printers.  I managed to erase it and now am wrangling with the wireless Bonjour/Airport connection.  I'm new to the whole mac scene.  Will let you know when I reprint if the OS 10.6 driver works with our ctb and plotting.

Alder

Message 10 of 12
Alder77

I finally got the plotter back on line.  The newest driver is installed and I sent a test plot.  It's exactly the same as it was before I started this whole rig-a-ma-role.  Not sure where the glitch is, I'm just happy to  have the ability to plot not-quite-crisp drawings again.  Had to get an IT assist to get my imac to find the HP plotter in the network.

Message 11 of 12
maxim_k

Hi Alder,

Thanks for info. As I understand, the quality of output doesn't change with new driver on Lion. Isn't it?

Now I use Snow Leopard and after upgrading to Lion, I'll need still to use my workaround for plotting to DesignJet 500 from Mac:

- install Windows XP in virtual machine,

- Setup HP driver for Windows,

- Save PDF from AC for Mac and print this PDF from Adobe Acrobat running in virtual Windows XP

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 12 of 12
Alder77

Hi Maxim,

Thanks for your response.  This answers my question completely.

Much appreciated,

Alder

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost