AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crash & permanent failure to open ??

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
455 Views, 6 Replies

Crash & permanent failure to open ??

I've been an AutoCAD user for years. I switched to Mac & got AutoCAD 2011. Everything was great until I upgraded to Mavericks when it was released. I gave up using it on my laptop because it was deemed incompatible. I recently replaced that laptop & the new MBP also has Mavericks, only a pristine install. I decided to try again for grins & to my surprise 2011 loaded, opened & worked for a few days. The in it crashed & never opened again. I uninstalled & reinstalled several times, but no luck. I removed it for good & downloaded a demo version of 2014 because it claimed to be Mavericks friendly. However, it doesn't open. My best guess is that there's some remnant of the 2011 install that "tainted" the OS somehow. I looked for an AutoCAD SavedState file, but apparently it has to open before there's a state to save. So nothing there. 2014 should work, but I'm wondering if there's a trick to reset the OS to make it think AutoCAD has never been installed ever. Either that or if someone has ANY idea on why I would not be able to open 2014 after a 2011 failure. I'm frustrated. PLEASE HELP!

Thanks in advance!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
maxim_k
in reply to: Anonymous

Welcome to the Autodesk Forums!

Hi,

At first you need to try to create new user account on your Mac and launch AutoCAD from it.

If you will not be able to start AutoCAD, than you need to try to reset AutoCAD license, as described here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-for-mac-general/cannot-open-autocad-lt-2013-on-brand-new-mac/m...

If you will be able to launch AutoCAD in new account, than you may try to reset AutoCAD 2014 preferences as described here:

http://macacad.wordpress.com/2014/03/16/new-way-to-reset-autocad-for-mac-settings-2014-version-with-...

- you need SP1 for AC 2014 installed in order to be able to use the solution above.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: maxim_k

Thanks for the input!. The new user profile did result in AutoCAD opening correctly. When I went back to my original login, restting did not work. It seems like a simple thing (hold shift while opening AutoCAD), so I don't think I messed that up. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Message 4 of 7
maxim_k

Does AutoCAD crashes with CER?
Could you post here System.log output from Console app at the moment when you launch AutoCAD till it crashes?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

I'm not sure if I can figure out if it crashes with CER.

Here's the system.log output from the time I try to open through the crash:

10/12/14 9:35:45.714 PM AutoCAD[1303]: ApplePersistenceIgnoreState: Existing state will not be touched. New state will be written to /var/folders/dt/r0_ckbjd6095dxkh2zkbvzbc0000gn/T/com.autodesk.AutoCAD2014.savedState
10/12/14 9:35:45.821 PM AutoCAD[1303]: [1303] stack overflow
10/12/14 9:35:46.192 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[197]: (com.autodesk.AutoCAD2014.10592[1303]) Job appears to have crashed: Abort trap: 6
10/12/14 9:35:46.281 PM ReportCrash[1305]: Saved crash report for AutoCAD[1303] version 19.1.18.403 Copyright © 2009-2013 Autodesk, Inc (19.1.18.403) to /Users/prodcutionservicesinternational-23/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/AutoCAD_2014-10-12-213546_PRODUCTION-SERVICES-INTRNATIONAL-7.crash
10/12/14 9:35:46.282 PM ReportCrash[1305]: Removing excessive log: file:///Users/prodcutionservicesinternational-23/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/AutoCAD_2014-10-10-191259_PRODUCTION-SERVICES-INTRNATIONAL-7.crash

Message 6 of 7
maxim_k

Here is an example of CER window:
http://forums.autodesk.com/autodesk/attachments/autodesk/78/411038/1/cer.png

About your case: I think if you are able to launch AutoCAD from another account, than something is wrong inside your initial account and I think it is corrupted AutoCAD Preferences file.
Have you installed SP1 for AC 2014 for Mac before trying to reset AutoCAD as I instructed you earlier?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Ahhhh, I see what you're looking for now. Since AutoCAD isn't fully opening, I'm getting a Mac message about the failure, not an AutoCAD message. I'm attaching a screen shot of the message I get and another of the report it offers to send to Apple.

I agree that it's related to my user profile since it can correctly open in the new profile. In a perfect world, it would be great not to have to migrate to a new user profile. I'm afraid it might happen there as well.

I also should have clarified before that yes, I did install SP1 before trying to rest AutoCAD. My guess is that it's either not resetting, or that restting is not the fix.

Thanks for your help so far!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost