AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

completely unstable autocad for mac

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
h4ns.castrop
1806 Views, 11 Replies

completely unstable autocad for mac

I'm wondering, is there anyone with stable Autocad for MAC?

In other markets, the unusable product was swiftly recalled, replaced or repaired. And still, the manufacturers were liable for large sums in courts. (imagine if your car, owen, or mobile phone, not to mention your drawing pen worked - or actually didn't work like this product)

Since I didn't buy Autodesk for Mac, but was trying to use the student version (since I AM a student) perhaps it's a bit far fetched to try suing Autodesk for wasting my time. The people that bought the product though, should be angry like hell... It's not cheep, it's not some ephemeral tool in the design process, it's not even standards compliant (so that it could be replaced easily).

I guess, I could respect Autodesk again if it formally apologizes for this fishing expedition, gives several years of free subscription to people that bought Autocad for Mac 2011, and for us that just got our time wasted, there should be thoroughly serviced app without "stamp" of any kind (or perhaps, the "WE ARE SORRY FOR BEING SUCH A GREEDY BASTARDS - yours Autodesk - makers of Autocad for Mac" stamp).

Just my 2¢.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
dgorsman
in reply to: h4ns.castrop

Yeah.  Because *you* do everything perfectly, never without error, first time, everytime.  I know!  Lets sue everybody who doesn't do everything exactly how it "should" be done.  Oy...

It does most of what it says it does.  Yes, there are a few bugs, yes it does have limitations, but come on - this is a first release product.  You can't compare that with products which have the benefit of decades of development (AutoCAD for Windows *doesn't* count!).

This isn't an "app".  It will take time to get everything implemented.  There will be more bugs as new features are added.  Thats the nature of large scale software development.  Instead of threatening lawsuits to "punish" AutoDesk like a child trying to punish their parents for not serving pizza, how about considering what features you would like to see, and considering what it would take to create them.  Participate in the BETA testing.  Give valid, technical feedback so they know where to focus their limited resources.

Or, you could just design your own "AutoCAD for Mac".  We'll all hold our breath while waiting for you to finish.  Promise.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 12
maxim_k

@h4ns.castrop wrote:

I'm wondering, is there anyone with stable Autocad for MAC?

I am, for example.

Yes, sometimes it becomes unstable, but in most cases I can work in it as in a reliable program. I also want to say that even an ordinary  draftsman, while working in  AutoCAD, still have to follow certain rules. If, for example, someone put in a DWG file all of company annual draft, in this case none of AutoCADs (including AutoCAD for Windows) would not survive.

Consider also, please, to read this article: In Defense of AutoCAD for Mac.

The process of programming is not so easy as you probably think.

Thank you for consideration,

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 4 of 12
h4ns.castrop
in reply to: dgorsman

quote: "Yeah.  Because *you* do everything perfectly, never without error, first time, everytime.  I know!  Lets sue everybody who doesn't do everything exactly how it "should" be done.  Oy..."

So, you think that I sold numerous copies of mission critical software for lots of $, and that I represent a large group of very skillful developers since you compare my track record to Autodesks? Of course I don't do every thing right the first time, and surely I do make mistakes (often, actually). The difference is that I apologize to my "customers", and correct my error free of charge in the shortest time possible.

Please, do try to imagine the situation: An architect designs a house, but the entrance door doesn't work 100%, so every so often, the owners of the house have to enter through the window, but the window works only on the 2nd floor... Your argument is to effect that architect designed that specific house for the first time, and you can't blame him for making the mistake. (perhaps I should have made the comparison to the load bearing aspect, or some other critical component?) It's a first release product, you say, it has a few bugs. Let me tell you (as would many of other users) that it has a few game stopping BUGS - it doesn't work! It crashes every 5 minutes or less. It is impossible to work on anything serious with it: 2d, 3d, output to paper, output to web... The limitations are not so important (though, a professional tool without the proper printing support is unheard of), it's the stability that is unacceptable.

"This isn't an "app" - What is it then? It certainly isn't an working "Application". It is, on the other hand, a "Product" because people have payed for it, and as a product it's lousy. I should have made clear that I don't think the developers at Autodesk are to blame. They try to make the best software they can in the timeframe they are given. It's the management I blame for releasing it in this state!

Where I live, single seat of Autocad for Mac costs cca. 4-5 monthly salaries for an architect. It's hard to earn that kind of money working with the best tool, and it's impossible with Autocad for Mac. Perhaps, you should have compared me to the parent reproaching a child for spending a large sum on useless crap. I thought that Autodesk is in the business of "Large scale software development", and that they should be good at it, but I admit I was wrong. It seams that they are in the business of ripping of their customers.

As for constructive participation, I think that Autodesk has enough beta testers and if they lack developers, they should hire some more. The features I'd like to see are self evident: working software with the minimum of usable tools for start! Any other features that work as expected are more than welcome.

Valid technical details are: I start the program - it crashes. I do it again, it works for few minutes, than it crashes again. And so on... (You just have to browse this forum to get an idea)

I did write a CAD software once (a few years ago) for Sinclair QL, and it was a fulfilling experience. It was VERY basic, but it was something I did. If it was my ambition to be a software developer perhaps you would be right to challenge me to design my own "Autocad", but since I'm an student of architecture, that is a bit cheap.

Again, the software engineers at Autodesk are not to blame! The manager that suggested the development of Autocad for Mac is not to blame (he should get a medal and a big bonus)! The people that forced this stillborn child into the light of day, and attached the price to it's toe are to blame!

I did get burned, but not because of friction, rather for the lack of it. - When they sell something - it should stick!

Message 5 of 12
h4ns.castrop
in reply to: maxim_k

Thanks, for your answer Maxim.

Please, don't begrudge me for my passion. I LOVE Autocad because I love my chosen profession, and it's a great tool for me to work with. I shaped my design process around Autocad workflow. It's because of this that my disappointment is so big.

It's hard for me to believe that you can work proficiently in Autocad for mac, but if you say you can than it must be so. I tired working with Autocad on 5 different macs (Macbook pros, iMacs, Mac pro, Mac mini) and couldn't on any of them.

I have some experience in using Autocad (about 10 years, with various Autocad for windows releases) - my dad owns a design studio, and I designed most of the workflow for him. I know most of the limitations of Autocad for windows, and I'm VERY satisfied with its stability and features (less with Windows though, even in its latest incarnation).

I have to say that I know very little about the complexities of developing such a complex software, but I suspect that people at Autodesk are quite good at it (when they are not led solely by profit goals). In the light of recent software releases (operating systems, mobile software, etc) I would consider Autocad for Mac to be an early BETA, not a commercial product. Hopefully, with time, it will get to the point where all of us (developers and users alike) are happy with it, but until then it should not be charged for.

As for Mac, and the motives for developing Autocad for Mac, I thank You from the bottom of my heart for finally stepping up and listening to the public requests. I love Mac (not because I'm a PC hater) for it's design principles, for making my work space feel more comfortable and humane. I will continue to use Autocad in virtual machine until I can get something better. Hopefully, it will be soon. Very soon.

Sincerely,

H4ns Castrop

P.S. The learning curve for a tool like Autocad is long, it's hard to replace it, so it sometimes feels like we are hostages trapped in the limbo of someone else's "matrix" - it's frustrating. 

Message 6 of 12
jaich

I love how you are acting like a typical, sanctimonious apple fan boy!  Read the list of features and commands that didn't come with this release (featured on the ADSK web site) and then read the EULA that you agreed to by installing the software in the first place; you don't really have a leg to stand on with your empty litigious threat.  

Plenty of other folks are getting along just fine with this particular release, maybe the problem exists somewhere between your keyboard and chair.  

Message 7 of 12
jose.espizua

I full agree with H4ns Castrop,

Come on!, I can't believe you guys are able to work seriously with Acad for Mac R1, you can't print quality pdf. Only this limitation make mac Acad R1 not ready for production, at least for me. And, what about the lacks of essential tools like CTB editor, sheet set manager,..........

To me, Acad for mac R1 is still a very early beta app, its performance is very low, not to say about 3d navigation.

I would like to see Acad for Mac development as an open beta, and Autodesk releasing the next release when people says is ready, as is the case with McNeel's Rhino 3d.

We all know that making a new app from scratch is not easy at all, but that is not a justification for a buggy app like Acad for Mac R1 is.

Have a nice,

José

Message 8 of 12
h4ns.castrop
in reply to: jaich

OK, let deal with the insults first... I guess that you think you are the total opposite? Well, that would make you what? A specific, profane pear hate girl?

If you had any concentration, you could have "heard" that the rant I had was about the stability of the program, not the lack of features, and I seem to have missed the part of the EULA that says: "Crashing is normal operating state of software that you payed for, but you don't actually own!"

As well, if you listened carefully to my "empty litigious threat" you could have heard me saying: "Since I didn't buy Autodesk for Mac, but was trying to use the student version (since I AM a student) perhaps it's a bit far fetched to try suing Autodesk for wasting my time." so I aree with you on that subject.

That multitude of folks that are getting along just fine are perhaps the ones that bought Windows 1.0 and were just fine with that too (folks at Autodesk were not amongst them, though).

I don't know if you are an Autodesk employee, or just a typical, sanctimonious Autodesk fanboy, but the PROBLEM exists, that is a fact (it exists between many keyboards and chairs on this forum, at least), and it has to be resolved in the best interest of Autodesk's customers (present and future).

So how did you contributed with your reply?

Message 9 of 12
jaich

> A specific, profane pear hate girl?

Yeah, I hate pears.  You got me there.  And profane, too.  I guess.

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: jose.espizua

My AutoCAD for Mac is compleeteelyyy unstable. It seems like many people are having this issue. I also downloaded the student version, because I am also a student. In February, my 3-year-old Dell laptop died on me, so when it came time to buy a new laptop, I was persuaded by everybody telling me that Macs last sooo much longer and are generally a better investment. The only thing that made me hesitate was the fact that I REALLY need AutoCAD for school. I did some research and saw that the AutoCAD for Mac program was fully compatible, with a few features missing. Obviously, I missed all the forums talking about how often it crashes!!

I open a drawing and can only expect to work on it for two minutes (at most) before the program unexpectedly closes. I've downloaded both updates. I wish Autodesk would remedy this issue. I have to stay at school most of the time now since I can't rely on my Mac...

Anyway, I didn't mean to be so melodramatic! I just feel a little better knowing I'm not the only one with this (FRUSTRATING) problem.

Message 11 of 12

I'm just annoyed that this discussion post came up during a search for the location of the EULA on the Mac.  If you don't have something nice or useful to say, then why are you posting on here?  Does anyone know the locaiton of the EULA document on the mac?

Thank you,
Jennifer Hoskens
CAD-1, Inc.
Message 12 of 12
maxim_k
in reply to: jenniferstockton

Menu AutoCAD -> About AutoCAD -> "Product information" button -> "License Agreement" button

HTH

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost