AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant open my files on Auto CAD 2014 on mac.. please help

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
jorden-morris
1301 Views, 8 Replies

Cant open my files on Auto CAD 2014 on mac.. please help

Hi, 

cant access my files which i created and saved monday. The pictures below is showing the porblem. does anyone have a solution or explaination ?

thanks jorden 

Screen Shot 2014-03-27 at 22.18.07.pngScreen Shot 2014-03-27 at 22.20.17.png

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
maxim_k
in reply to: jorden-morris

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!

Hi,
About the first screen shot: have you tried to find the file that AutoCAD can not find in Finder? Does it exists on your Mac?

About second screen shot: you can not open files with .BAK extension in AutoCAD, even it they are backup copies of DWG files. At first you need to chane extension of the file to DWG: select file in Finder, hit Return, than edit file extension.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 9
solo_gedno1

Really sorry to "Hi-Jack" this thread but i cant not seem to figure out how to start my own question/thread or ask the right question of the search engine to find answer to my problem. This question is the same as mine however, I do not get any error messages, my problem seems to be another.

I just upgraded from Autocad for Mac 2013 to Autocad for Mac 2014. I can start the software with apparently no issues, and create new files. However the problem arises when i try to open any other dwg file I have been using without issue in 2013 edition. When i try to open an existing file on my hard drive cad for mac 2014 just freezes and becomes no responsive and i have force quit it.

I have tried searching everywhere on autodesk support/forums, google and other third party networks and can not find a solution anywhere, Its really doing my head in.

Message 4 of 9
maxim_k

Hi,
Is it true for ALL your old files? Or just for some of them?
Where those files are stored?
Could you try to copy one of the files to external USB stick drive and open it from this new location? If you can do this, you can save file using SAVEAS command back to previous location.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 9
solo_gedno1
in reply to: maxim_k

Thanks Maxim,

I checked a few again after your reply, and I managed to open a file that i created long before I installed 2014, However I have tried a number of other files I have that are rather large and it fails to open these and freezes. I tried moving a cpl of these files to my desktop, As I do not have a USB to hand right now, I will try this later.

When I say large I mean around 15MB. So big as far as the what I have been working with, but Not sure if this is widely defined as large, haha, I had to clarify.

BTW I have a 5 week old 15inch MBP Retina, with 16GB Mem, 2.3 Ghz Intel i7, fully updated with OSX 10.9.3

Message 6 of 9
maxim_k

At first I thought that this is permissions problem, that's why I asked you about USB drive. But now I believe I was wrong. The problem is in files themselves.
Could you send one of the problem files to my email: mkanaev at yandex.ru ?
I can try to see how it woks on my Mac.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 7 of 9
urban.spinifex

Just wondering if you reached a solution as I am having the same problem- can open some files but not others - just hanging at opening
Message 8 of 9
maxim_k

I know nothing about the solution to this problem because OP no longer has contacted me.
What do you see at the command prompt when AutoCAD doesn't open problem file? Which AutoCAD version do you have? How big are this file? Do you know something about the contents of this file: does it have 3D data?
A lot of questions, but without additional information nobody can help you...

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 9 of 9
urban.spinifex

Hi
Thanks for getting back to me- I have auto cad mac version 2014. The spinning wheel just keeps spinning at opening -no message and then I can’t cancel and have to force quit. I ended up working around it by opening a new document and xrefing it in -getting rid of some layers -doing an audit and then I was able to go back out and open it- I had a xref layer that was like a ghost- not showing in the layers or ref manager and I could not move it or erase it.
I am using Yosemite os.
R

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost