AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't print anything. (Autocad 2014 for Mac)

40 REPLIES 40
SOLVED
Message 1 of 41
berkeozkok
3100 Views, 40 Replies

Can't print anything. (Autocad 2014 for Mac)

I want to save or export my drawings to PDF.

I have a drawing and I want to save as PDF but when I try to print it a print screen appears, I choose every settings then I select save as pdf but print screen disappears. 

I learn that I can export to pdf so I tried it. But it has also a problem. In my drawing I drawed rectangles on A2 paper size(scale 1:20) to print it easily. But when I exported the drawing, it is not centered on page so a part of my drawing is not on paper.

40 REPLIES 40
Message 2 of 41
maxim_k
in reply to: berkeozkok

Welcome to the Autodesk Forums!

Hi,

The issues you have with saving to PDF from Print dialog and with exporting to PDF are because of the bug in AutoCAD 2014 for Mac when you use it on Mavericks and use Custom paper size for Page Setup (or for printing). Seems you are using Custom Paper size (isn't it?)

You need to install SP2, which seems "repair" this bug. Did you install SP2?

You can use "Check for updates from AutoCAD 2014" menu to get notification about SP available. Or download it from here:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-for-mac/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autocad-2014-...

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 41
berkeozkok
in reply to: maxim_k

Service pack 2 has been installed already.

I can export pdf but I want to center drawings on page. Is there a way to center drawings on page when exporting to pdf? 

Message 4 of 41
maxim_k

If I use Current page setup and export Current page layout:

Screen Shot 2014-05-27 at 15.51.57.png

everything works fine on my side - the drawing centered on page as I set it in Page setup for Layout I'm exporting.

Maybe you have troubles if:

- you are using standard paper sizes for exporting which have non-printable areas, then your drawing will "shift" according to the sizes of this non-printable areas:

Screen Shot 2014-05-27 at 16.07.32.png

- you are using page size bigger then you have in Layout you are trying to export, then resulting drawing will shift to the edge of printable area of paper size you selected for override:

Screen Shot 2014-05-27 at 16.07.13.png

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 41
dr.sarmiento10

Hi, I have the same problem and I cant plot any PDF file even though my AutoCAD is up to date. This is the screenshot that appears, and I dont know how to solve it because any of those options cant be modified

Please help me, 

Thank you very muchScreen Shot 2014-08-19 at 9.56.50 PM.png

Message 6 of 41

Is it necessary for me to have Adobe Acrobat installed in order to print PDF's correctly?

thanks again

Message 7 of 41
maxim_k
in reply to: dr.sarmiento10

Welcome to the Autodesk Forums!

Hi,

When do you see this message?

If it is in Page Setup Manager, than the information you have means that you don't have any printer (plotter) software installed on your Mac (Printers & Scanners pane of Mac OS System preferences). But even without printer software installed on your Mac you should be able to save to PDF from AutoCAD.

>>>>Is it necessary for me to have Adobe Acrobat installed in order to print PDF's correctly?

No, not necessary

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 8 of 41
dr.sarmiento10

The message appears in the drawings and layout window when I click on the layout I've created. I mean, once I have arranged the new layout and try to save it as a PDF, nothing happens and the window is closed, so when I try to check what the problem is, I find that message.

Thank you very much

Sent from my iPhone
Message 9 of 41
maxim_k

Have you tried to create named page setup before saving to PDF and use it when you save to PDF?
BTW: how are you trying to save to PDF? Do you use Print dialog?
Do you use custom paper size for printing (saving to PDF)?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 10 of 41
dr.sarmiento10

I have created a named page setup and I try to save the PDF when I am in the print dialogue in the inferior-left PDF button, and I use the page setup that I have created, not the custom size. 

On the other hand, one of my hypothesis is that, since I downloaded a crack version of Adobe CS6 that also includes the cracked adobe acrobat pro, maybe that program, that actually doesn't work well, may be creating conflict with the autocad predetermined PDF printer.

Thanks. 
Message 11 of 41
maxim_k
in reply to: dr.sarmiento10

At first:

To write on the forum about pirated software is mauvais ton

About problem with custom paper size in Print dialog:

Yes it is a kind of a bug that appeared if you use AutoCAD 2014 for Mac on Mavericks: even if you will create Page Setup with Custom Paper size and then will try to print (save to PDF) from Print dialog with this Page Setup, the paper size resets to the nearest paper size available in current printer software and you need to chance it by hand each time you use Print dialog:

Screen Shot 2014-09-07 at 10.00.31.png

On the other hand if you will use Batch Publish or Export to PDF (menu File -> Export) custom paper size will not be loosen during printing or PDF export.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 12 of 41
dr.sarmiento10

Thank you very much and sorry about the software... I've noticed that you have printer installed, is it really necesary to have one? or can I just print to PDF without any print installed?

Message 13 of 41
maxim_k

Yes, you can save pr export to PDF even without System printer installed.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 14 of 41
Anonymous

I'm having a similar problem: just can't print anything. I'm using AutoCAD 2014, SP2, Mac OS X 10.9.5, and every other program on this computer prints fine. When I try to print from AutoCAD nothing happens. It does not matter what page size, or what scale, or anything else: when I click "print" the dialog box goes away and nothing prints. Same for trying to print to PDF: click "print" and the dialog box just goes away. Going back to DraftSight until this gets fixed. Not as nice a program, but at least it prints.
Message 15 of 41
maxim_k
in reply to: Anonymous

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!

Hi,
Have you tried to create new user account on your Mac and print (save to PDF) from it?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 16 of 41
Anonymous

Tried it on a separate user account, and it can print from that. Logging in as a separate user any time I want to use a drafting program is not an acceptable solution, though. I also did a complete re-install of AutoCAD2014, SP1, and SP2; this made no difference. The only difference between the two accounts that I can immediately think of is that the print-capable account is located on the boot drive for the computer, and the print-incapable account is located on an external drive due to space limitations on the SSD boot disk. -ea
Message 17 of 41
maxim_k
in reply to: Anonymous

I mean new account on the same OS installation as you have troubles with - in your case the new account on SSD boot drive. Have you tried this?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 18 of 41
Anonymous

Yes, that's what I did. New account on the boot disk of the problemmatic computer. Is there an issue with AutoCAD when the user's home folder is located on an external drive? -ea
Message 19 of 41
maxim_k

>Is there an issue with AutoCAD when the user's home folder
>is located on an external drive? -ea

I think yes, could be.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 20 of 41
Anonymous

Bit of a problem, that. The latest Mac Pro comes with a 250G SSD, my Documents folder is 400G. External HD is the only option... Too bad --- it is a powerful program and I do appreciate the free educational license. Wouldn't mind using it; but if I can't print it's not much use. I'll leave the email-me link on for this discussion, so if it gets fixed perhaps someone will let me know. Until then, back to DraftSight. -ea

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost