AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't compile shapes

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
benlukes
709 Views, 2 Replies

Can't compile shapes

I have been trying to write my own shape file, but can't get it to compile.  I have used TextEdit to save the file as Unicode-7 and Unicode-8, and I have also used Smultron to save the file as Western (ASCII) and Non-Lossy ASCII.

Whenever I try to compile my Arrow.shp file, I am told that I have a "Bad shape definition at line 2", and that there is an "Invalid shape element, or bad syntax".

The text in my shape file is everything between the lines below.
------------------------------------------------------------------

*1,9,ARROW
080,8,(-2,1),02C,8,(2,1),0

------------------------------------------------------------------

I have also tried shapes that use pen up segments and ones that use no special codes at all, only hexadecimal ones.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
maxim_k
in reply to: benlukes

Hi,

A long time ago, when I was using AutoCAD version 12, there was a "golden" rule about shape file definition creation:

it is absolutely necessary to leave last line in text file blank, i.e. you have to hit Return (Enter) after last text line in shape definition file.

I successfully used TextEdit.app with default plain text encoding for creation ARROW.SHP

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 3
benlukes
in reply to: maxim_k

Thank you, that did the trick.

If that isn't in the documentation (I didn't see it), it should definitely be added.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost