AutoCAD for Mac General Discussion

AutoCAD for Mac General Discussion

benlukes
Message 1 of 3 (215 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can't compile shapes

215 Views, 2 Replies
11-16-2012 09:10 AM

I have been trying to write my own shape file, but can't get it to compile.  I have used TextEdit to save the file as Unicode-7 and Unicode-8, and I have also used Smultron to save the file as Western (ASCII) and Non-Lossy ASCII.

Whenever I try to compile my Arrow.shp file, I am told that I have a "Bad shape definition at line 2", and that there is an "Invalid shape element, or bad syntax".

The text in my shape file is everything between the lines below.
------------------------------------------------------------------

*1,9,ARROW
080,8,(-2,1),02C,8,(2,1),0

------------------------------------------------------------------

I have also tried shapes that use pen up segments and ones that use no special codes at all, only hexadecimal ones.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

*Expert Elite*
maxim_k
Message 2 of 3 (209 Views)

Re: Can't compile shapes

11-16-2012 11:07 AM in reply to: benlukes

Hi,

A long time ago, when I was using AutoCAD version 12, there was a "golden" rule about shape file definition creation:

it is absolutely necessary to leave last line in text file blank, i.e. you have to hit Return (Enter) after last text line in shape definition file.

I successfully used TextEdit.app with default plain text encoding for creation ARROW.SHP

Maxim

Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | MARSS

benlukes
Message 3 of 3 (191 Views)

Re: Can't compile shapes

11-19-2012 10:42 AM in reply to: maxim_k

Thank you, that did the trick.

If that isn't in the documentation (I didn't see it), it should definitely be added.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.