AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD not recognizing first command after DDEDIT

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
David_Stacey
2271 Views, 9 Replies

AutoCAD not recognizing first command after DDEDIT

Hi All,

I am running AutoCAD 2012 (F.51.M.57) on a 2010 Macbook Pro (2.4Ghz Intel Core i5, 8Gb ram and 480Gb SSD) running Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

I have TEXT objects in model space.  After editing any TEXT object using the DDEDIT command, the next command isn't recognized if I use an abbreviated command such as "M" for MOVE or "C" for COPY.  Extremely annoying!

The problem is not drawing file specific as it occurs in all drawing files.

If I use the full command MOVE or COPY straight after DDEDIT the problem doesn't occur.

If I press escape a few times immediately after the DDEDIT command, I can then use the abbreviated commands also.

I can only assume AutoCAD is somehow getting "stuck" in the DDEDIT command even though the command has completed.

This problem has only occured in the past few days and I haven't installed any new software during that time.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Cheers,

David

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
maxim_k
in reply to: David_Stacey

Hi David,
1. DDEDIT command doesn't quit automatically after you finish to edit some text object, you have to hit Esc or Return to exit DDEDIT

David_Stacey wrote:the next command isn't recognized if I use an abbreviated command such as "M" for MOVE or "C" for COPY.  Extremely annoying!

What do you see in Command window, when you call abbreviated command?

3. Have you tried TEXTEDIT command instead of DDEDIT (in fact they are the same)

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 10
David_Stacey
in reply to: maxim_k

Hi Maxim,

Thanks for your reply - this is a very strange problem!

At first I thought it had something to do with <command> and then <spacebar> instead of hitting <return/enter>.  Not so.  It got to the point that I thought I'd just reinstall AutoCAD but that didn't fix the problem.  Instead I have wiped my drive and upgraded to Lion but still running AutoCAD Mac 2012.  The problem STILL persists!!

I even tried using a wired Apple keyboard instead of the bluetooth one I normally use.  No difference.

My command shortcut for COPY - "C" - is setup in acad.pgp.  I changed CIRCLE to "CI" in the same file.  Nothing usual about that - I've done this for years on previous Windows versions.

After I finish using and exit the TEXTEDIT command, if I type "C" and then spacebar, nothing happens.  If I type "C" and then enter it does the _pasteclip command.  Interestingly if I use the full COPY command it works fine.

So my thoughts are it must have something to do with the PGP file.  Yes, I have checked there are no duplicate shortcuts defined.

I guess this is just one of those strange bugs that is hard to find a fix for!  It is also odd that I've managed to get the same error after a complete os reinstall.  Could a DWT retain such information?

Thanks for your input but I think I'll just have to use the full command to get around the issue.

Best regards,

David Stacey

Message 4 of 10
maxim_k

Hi David,

Could you post your acad.pgp file here? (or send it to me via PM)

@David_Stacey wrote:

I guess this is just one of those strange bugs that is hard to find a fix for!  It is also odd that I've managed to get the same error after a complete os reinstall.  Could a DWT retain such information?

Are you using custom DWT file? Not sure, but I think it shouldn't affect such things as command aliases.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 10
David_Stacey

Hi Maxim,

My acad.pgp file attached.  I changed C for COPY and added CI for CIRCLE.

David

Tags (4)
Message 6 of 10
maxim_k

Hi David,

It is really very strange. I have tested your acad.pgp fil on my installation and everything works as expected.
Can not believe that when you type C from keyboard and hit spacebar AutoCAD doesn't respond at all, it should give some response in command prompt, or at least you should see letter C with space after it, but this could happen only if you are inside some command and it prompt to input text string, or if you type open ( before C- that means you start AutoLISP statement.
BTW what keyboard layout do you use in your system?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 7 of 10
David_Stacey

Hi Maxim,
I'm using the Australian English layout.
I'll do some more testing today to see if other commands have the same result. It could be that I'm using the space bar to exit the TEXTEDIT command and then issuing the C shortcut for COPY - even though this worked fine previously. Will post later with results.
David
Message 8 of 10
David_Stacey

OK. So I finally figured this out - without a solution however.

The TEXTEDIT command has nothing to do with the problem.

If I do a number of commands quickly in succession the problem doesn't occur.  However if I don't do anything for a few seconds and then try any command, AutoCAD repeats the previous command!

So now I'm starting to think it might have something to do with Text Expander.  This requires universal access to be turned on (actually "Enable access for assistive devices" turned on in Universal Access preference pane).

I know this doesn't make any sense whatsoever but it is really happening.  I don't know where to go from here.

Is anyone from Autodesk listening?

David

Message 9 of 10
maxim_k

Hi David,

Frankly, I suspect that you are using some application that works with text entered from the keyboard. I also have used such kind of application for automatic correction of text input - Punto Switcher. I suppose you to check - is it possible in your program (TextExpander) make exceptions for individual programs.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 10 of 10
David_Stacey

Thanks Maxim,

I have solved the problem.  It was Text Expander!

I quit Text Expander and AutoCAD instantly started behaving itself again.  Arrrrrggghhhhhh!!!!!!!

There must be a shortcut command in Text Expander that was overiding the input in AutoCAD.

Thanks for all your help.  I was going crazy!

All the best

David

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost