AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD LT for Mac 2014 Hangs while printing

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
klethin
1387 Views, 23 Replies

AutoCAD LT for Mac 2014 Hangs while printing

I am a relatively new AutoCAD user, and a fairly new Mac user. I just purchased AutoCAD 2014 LT for Mac a month ago, after using the Trial Version. I have a 2012 MacBook Pro (lots of memory, Ram, Mountian Lion with all updates, etc).

While using the trial version, I was unable to print or even create a PDF. Every time I tried, it would "hang," and the spinning wheel would go on for hours. I have to force quit the program.  Now that I have purchased it, it is still not working. I have talked to my retailer's tech support, and have even hired a private tutor. I finally reached a human at Autodesk through the activation department, and he seemed to think there was a problem with my activation (needed my "Request code").  But my retailer ruled that out, and confirmed that I was activated properly. So far I have tried:

- Print to PDF

- Print to Printer
- Export as PDF
- Checked my system requirements, all OK
- Installed 2 available service packs
- Deleted my desk jet printer from the program and from my computer
- Cleared and reset my printing preferences
- Copied and pasted my file to a new file
- Tried to print a new, simple file with only a circle
- Made a copy of my layout (has 8 viewports)

The only times I was ever successful at making a pdf from the program was TWICE, once when trying to export as a PDF, and once again when I deleted the printer from the program, though these techniques never worked when I tried them again.

I emailed my file to my retailer tech support, and he seemed confused that I had multiple viewports within my layout.  He thought perhaps having all those viewports was causing the program to become overloaded.  I ran this by my tutor, and a friend, and both told me this is a common way of setting up a layout with multiple elveations, details, etc.

If anyone has any experience with this or has any ideas, I'd love your help.

Thank you,
Kelly

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
maxim_k
in reply to: klethin

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!

Hi Kelly,

Could you try this:
- Reset printing system (right-click on printer you have in Mac OS System preferences and select Reset from context menu)
- This should delete System printer from your Mac.
- Do not install it again, restart your Mac and try to export to PDF or Save as PDF from AutoCAD
Does this help?

Also please specify System printer you are using on your Mac.
Are you able to print with it from other applications on your Mac?

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 24
klethin
in reply to: maxim_k

Hi Maxim,

Thank you so much for your response!  Here is what I tried:

1.  I reset my printing system and restarted the computer.

2.  I opened up AutoCAD and tried exporting as a PDF to my desktop.  Surprisingly, this time it didn't "hang" (Is this the right terminology for the spinning color wheel that goes on forever?) or freeze, though the file I tried to export to my desktop never ended up appearing there (or after a search, anywhere in the computer).   After I gave the export command, the screen went black for a few seconds, and then went right back to paperspace, as if nothing had happened.  A small alert window, down by my little layout manager menu popped up, though it was gone so fast that I didn't get the chance to read it.

3.  Because it didn't hang, I thought I'd try File>Print>PDF dropdown>Open PDF in Preview.  The moment I hit Print, the attached message popped up.  I hit OK and continued with the command.  It hung.

To answer your questions:

- The only printer in my house (the only one that's ever been used by this computer) is an HP Deskjet 2540.  I don't necessarily need to print my files to this printer, as PDF is the most important for me (though I'd really like everything to work, and be able to print to both).

-  I've never had a printing issue with my Mac or the Deskjet since I've had either.  I also use the same Print>Open PDF in preview command with Word and Excel routinely, and have never had any trouble.  

Thank you so much for your help,

Kelly

Message 4 of 24
maxim_k

The alert you attached tells about plot device saved with your DWG, so you can ignore it for the moment.

Let's try again.

I hope you did not install your printer back?

If so -

Please repeat EXPORT to PDF, but for now just after it finished type at the command prompt VIEWPLOTDETAILS and hit Return, you should see such window:

Screen Shot 2014-07-15 at 07.59.55.png

Please attach screenshot here.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 24
klethin

Hi Maxim,

I didn't reinstall the printer.  I exported to PDF again, and the little alert popped up again.  As it turns out, it takes me to the same window as VIEWPLOTDETAILS.  

Screenshot attached.

Thanks

Kelly

Message 6 of 24
maxim_k

I think the problem is in paper sizes.
Do you use Page Setup in your drawing (I mean do you create or edit Page setup for Layout via Page Setup manager)?
What paper size you use for Page Setup in your drawing?
Do you use one f the standard paper sizes or Custom paper size?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 7 of 24
klethin

The project I'm working on requires that I use ANSI D size paper (22x34).  I do use the page setup manager, and that size was not available so I used the custom option.  There were very few sizes available (see screen shot attached).  My deskjet is just a little everyday, home-use printer, so I imagine there are very few sizes available through those options, though the printer is still uninstalled from the computer.

Message 8 of 24
maxim_k

I don't see Custom paper size on screenshot you provided. It should be just above "Manage custom sizes..." Item.
Did you remove it?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 9 of 24
klethin

I didn't intentionally remove anything (that I'm aware of - anything is possible).  

Here is a screen shot of my Page Setup menu

File>Page Setup Manager>select current layout>edit (cog)>(get plotter configuration warning)>puts me into Page Setup menu

I noticed that the old printer is shadowed in the bottom righthand corner, though isn't selected.

I also noticed that there are two options under Printer/Plotter: No Value and None.

Message 10 of 24
maxim_k

So it appears you didn't create Custom Paper size on your Mac (or it was deleted during resetting printer settings)
Anyway, here are the steps which I hope will help you.
- Open drawing, switch to Layout you want to print (save as PDF)

- Use File -> Page setup Manager to create named Page Setup:

Screen Shot 2014-07-15 at 20.12.51.png

- Give the name to the Page Setup.

Screen Shot 2014-07-15 at 20.22.25.png

- Ignore an alert (you may get another plotter name):

Screen Shot 2014-07-15 at 20.22.32.png

- Create Custom Paper size (ANSI D size paper (22x34)) - give it the name and adjust all settings - leave Printer name "No Value":

Screen Shot 2014-07-15 at 20.30.46.png

Screen Shot 2014-07-15 at 20.30.53.png

Screen Shot 2014-07-15 at 20.31.35.png

Set your Custom Paper Size current:

Screen Shot 2014-07-15 at 20.34.02.png

Close Page setup window with OK, than set newly created Page Setup as Current:

Screen Shot 2014-07-15 at 20.34.23.png

Close Page Setup Manager,

- Open Print dialog, verify all settings - Custom paper size (1), name of page setup (2), select Preview.\

Screen Shot 2014-07-15 at 20.34.53.png

If everything will work OK, than install software (driver) for your physical printer (verify that you have latest version of Printer software)

Now you can edit Page setup you created to "enable" real printer name in it.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 11 of 24
klethin

Hi Maxim,

Thank you so much for your help with this, and patience with me.  Please tell me you don't do this in your spare time for fun.  I sure hope you're paid by someone, or I'm sending you a box of See's Candy once this thing plots.

So...

I followed your steps, one exactly as you told me and with just a small variation:

1.  I followed your steps exactly.  It went to the spinning wheel, and when I navigated away from the program, I couldn't go back to the program without a force quit and restarting it.

2.  When I was creating a new page setup the first time around, and was setting the size, I discovered that the ANSI D or "D size sheet" exists in the list area of custom sizes under the "+" in Manage Custom Sizes menu.  I used that to set the standard size.  I hope that is OK.  It seemed to make more sense than creating my own size.  I followed your instructions precisely after that, and instead of hanging, the program officially crashed (no spinning wheel, just went black for a second and then -poof- program is gone.  Forced quit and restarted it.

3.  Tried the same process in a new drawing of a circle, and same result.  Full crash.

Could I have corrupted files from the original download of the 30 day trial?  Does it make any sense to uninstall and reinstall with the disk I was sent from Autodesk?

Any other ideas?  I'm sorry this problem is so stubborn.

Thanks again,

Kelly

Message 12 of 24
maxim_k

Hi Kelly,

It seems to me that you need at first to delete Custom paper size you created in Step 2, I mean here:

@klethin wrote:

2.  When I was creating a new page setup the first time around, and was setting the size, I discovered that the ANSI D or "D size sheet" exists in the list area of custom sizes under the "+" in Manage Custom Sizes menu.  I used that to set the standard size.  I hope that is OK.....

Go to "Manage Custom Sizes" and use "-" button to delete it. Than create your own ANSI D paper size (you can write down information about it before you delete previous "bad" paper size) with necessary dimensions, you can even set non-printable area to "0.000" in order to have "borderless" paper.

Now try to use newly created paper size.

As an alternative method you can try to manage custom paper sizes from any other Mac application (for example - from Preview application) maybe AutoCAD can not create custom paper size on your system properly for some reason.

After you delete and recreate custom paper in another application you can use it in AutoCAD too.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 13 of 24
klethin

I think what I wrote to you last night wasn't very clear - Sorry

First time around, I followed your directions exactly as you wrote.  I named and created a custom size, and then selected that custom size in the print menu (not the standard "D size sheet" found in the drop down menu - I used that on my second attempt, just to see what would happen).  This first time, doing only my custom paper size, it failed.

The second time, I went in and used the standard "D size sheet."  My previous custom size was gone because the system crashed and didn't save my work.  I used this "D size sheet" size in a new Page Setup, and then selected it in the print menu.  Failed too.

In response to your most recent post:

I followed your instructions by deleting any previous page setups (though there were none unless I had intentionally hit save).  I created a new custom size (and set the non-printing area to 0.00 - thank you for that tip - great).  This caused it to hang too.  But I did notice a couple things, and thought I should ask whether this is normal...

Whenever I go into page setup manager to creat a new page setup, and I'm asked to name it, There is a drop-down where I can choose a layout to start from.  I have always selected the layout that I'm trying to print.  Is this correct?  See screen shot.

Also, whenever I have named and created the new custom page setup, and then set current, if I go back in to edit again (just to check that all is correct), I see that it has defaulted back to the US Letter paper size.  I fix it back to the correct Page Setup, and set current again.  I try to print preview, and it still hangs.

I couldn't figure out how to create a custom paper size in Preview on Mac, but I did open up Word, and created a new paper setup and custom size there.  I selected this setup from Word in CAD, and set as current.  I then selected it in the print menu, and tried to preview, but it froze.

Lastly, when I opened up Word, and looked at the available Page Setups, I saw that MY ANSI D was an option in Word.  So, I took one of my Word documents, used MY ANSI D page setup in Word, and IT WORKED IN WORD.  My PDF popped right up, no problem, on my nice, big, 22x34 sheet.

(bang head on table)

Message 14 of 24
maxim_k

So, it doesn't print in any case....

A question just to clarify: are you using Mountain Lion on your Mac?

>>>Whenever I go into page setup manager to create a new page setup, and I'm asked to name it,

>>>There is a drop-down where I can choose a layout to start from.

>>>I have always selected the layout that I'm trying to print.  Is this correct?

Yes - correct.

>>>I couldn't figure out how to create a custom paper size in Preview on Mac,

The same way as in AutoCAD: open some document, select Print from File menu, open Paper Size drop-down, scroll down and you will see "Manage Custom Sizes..."

For now I can advice two things:

- create new account with admin privileges  on your Mac (just for test, you can delete it later), login to this account and try to print (save to PDF) from AutoCAD.

If this doesn't help:

- you can also try to install Gutenprint printer drivers from

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php

These drivers doesn't require physical device. Configure the plotter as network device with "localhost" or fake network address (instructions here)

Then try to save to PDF using this driver.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 15 of 24
klethin

1.  I'm using OS X 10.9.3. Is that Mountain Lion?

2.  Thank you for the instructions on how to make another Page Setup in Preview. I made a new setup, it worked in Preview. It did not work in CAD. Crash.

3.  I downloaded Gutenprint, but as I was following your instructions, I didn't see my printer in the list of printers, either in the "Select Printer Software."  It was also not listed in the list of compatible printers in the FAQ area of Gutenprint's website.  I'm confused about this.

4.  I created a different user account on the computer, with admin capabilities.  I opened up AutoCAD, made a circle in a new drawing (there were none of my existing drawings available to me), made a nice new ANSI D Page Setup, previewed in PDF AND IT WORKED!!!!!!  So now what does that mean?  I would like to not have to switch users in order to design and print in AutoCAD, if I can help it.  

Thanks,

Kelly

Message 16 of 24
klethin

I put a copy of my master file on a flash drive and brought it up while in the alternate User.  I was able to plot to PDF in preview.

Does this give you a clue about any adjustments we can make that will allow me to use my original User to print and plot to PDF?

Thank you,

Kelly

Message 17 of 24
maxim_k

Hi,

@klethin wrote:

.....I created a different user account on the computer, with admin capabilities.  I opened up AutoCAD, made a circle in a new drawing (there were none of my existing drawings available to me), made a nice new ANSI D Page Setup, previewed in PDF AND IT WORKED!!!!!!  So now what does that mean?   ...

This means that you have problems with permissions in your home folder. During printing process AutoCAD creates some temporary files inside "~/Library/Application Support/Autodesk/roaming/AutoCAD LT 2014 Standalone/R19.1/enu/Plotters" folder. In your case looks like it can not do this.

So what you can try?

1/ Login to your old account

2/ Create folder on your Desktop and name it as you want, for example PMP

3/ Start AutoCAD, go to menu "AutoCAD LT 2014" -> "Preferences", on the left select Application, then open this tree on the right:

Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 08.17.19.png

4/ Highlight "Printer configuration search path", then click on "+" button, navigate to the folder you created in step 2, select it and click on Open

5/ Now you have two paths:

Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 08.21.41.png

6/ Select path you just added and move it up:

Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 08.25.06.png

7/ Click on OK in Application Preferences dialog.

8/ Try to print from AutoCAD

AND:

@klethin wrote:

1.  I'm using OS X 10.9.3. Is that Mountain Lion?

10.9.3 is Mavericks

@klethin wrote:

3.  I downloaded Gutenprint, but as I was following your instructions, I didn't see my printer in the list of printers, either in the "Select Printer Software."  It was also not listed in the list of compatible printers in the FAQ area of Gutenprint's website.  I'm confused about this.

You should not install Gutenprint printer driver exactly for your printer, you can choose ANY printer/plotter, for example "DesignJet 450", which has a lot of predefined paper sizes. Than you can use this printer to output to PDF, but not to physical device.

If everything will go right way with new "Printer configuration search path" than you can install driver for your printer and try to print to it.

Don't forget to delete new user account you created, if you don't need it, of course.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 18 of 24
klethin

I thought we almost had it there for a second.  I did as you instructed for the "printer configuration search path," and it worked the first time.  But when I went to print to PDF a second time, it froze again.  I forced quit, started it up again, and the PMP file was no longer where I'd added it in the printer configuration path.  When I went to add it again, a temporary file was shadowed there.  I selected the PMP file again from the desktop and then tried to print.  It froze.

Message 19 of 24
maxim_k

Have you tried to print (save PDF) multiple times from the account you created recently? Or you just tried this once?
If you are able to save PDF in new account all the time, than something is wrong in your main account.
Have you tried to reset AutoCAD settings?

As the last chance: have you tried to use Batch Print to PDF?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 20 of 24
klethin

In my other account, I can print to PDF multiple times.

I tried to batch publish in my main account, and it crashed.

What could be wrong in my main account that could cause this problem?  Can I fix it?

I have not tried to reset my AutoCAD settings - Do I risk losing all the customizations I've made to my dimension styles, etc?  I don't want to do any damage to my design files.  My skills in going in and fixing this kind of stuff are really limited.

One thought that crossed my mind - could I set up a file share of my CAD files between my two users?  I could design and work 99% of the time in my main account, but go to the other account when I need to plot.  I dont want to do this if I can help it, but I'm under a lot of pressure to complete this project.

Thanks

Kelly

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost