AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD for Mac output problems - pdf - plot styles - ctb - etc...

68 REPLIES 68
Message 1 of 69
vermontian
33410 Views, 68 Replies

AutoCAD for Mac output problems - pdf - plot styles - ctb - etc...

I was really excited about AutoCAD for Mac.  I have been an AutoCAD user for many years on the PC and am a big fan of the program.  I have to say that I am disappointed in the output options available for the mac version.  There is no plot to pdf option (the workaround for this is unacceptable).  There is no plot style manager.  There is no way to edit ctb files.  

I'm not sure what to think about this.  I am starting this thread with the hope that someone from Autodesk will please respond to address the lack of output functionality.  Is Autodesk working on solutions to these problems?  Is there a new way of managing output in the works?  Should I continue using this program in the hope that there will be a solution or is this all there is going to be?  Please respond Autodesk... If these problems don't get resolved then I'm afraid this program is of little use to me and though it's an old friend, at this point, I might have to move on.

If you are reading this and agree that these problems need resolution, please respond to this post so that the folks at Autodesk take notice.

Thanks

68 REPLIES 68
Message 2 of 69
wnyproductions
in reply to: vermontian

likewise. check my post on this issue. being a complete autocad virgin I'm not certain exactly what plot styles means within the autocad environment but I cannot fathom why a simple high quality pdf export is not part of the package...disheartened in london

Message 3 of 69
fergburger

Hi, 

I'm not sure if i am just not understanding the problem, but when you click on print, and the print options window comes up, a little 'pdf' button can be seen in the bottom left corner that lets you save it as a pdf file.

as for the other problems i have no idea what a ctb file is and can't remember what the plot style manager did on the pc version so i'm no help there either.

hope that helped a little

Message 4 of 69
vermontian

Thanks for the tip.  I saw that option and thanks to some other threads figured out how to change the custom page size... in AutoCAD for windows pdf shows up as a plotter.  The quality is not as good with the "save to pdf" option and it's a cumbersome workaround....

Basically, I'm not sure if the program as it is can actually be used efficiently with such a limited capability to output...

Message 5 of 69
gab_p

No plot style manager for mac?!  How can I even begin to express my disgust!  It is utterly unacceptable that they could even release a version without it!  It implies that you cannot run autocad in a mac office, because you would still need a PC around to modify your ctb's.  I was excited to see CAD for mac, and was a bit puzzled at the haters, but now I understand. Their prediction that Autodesk would release a below-standard software and angry a lot of users totally materialized.

I'm sticking with Vectorworks and until Autodesk develops fixes for ALL the missing functionalities, I would advise everyone to do the same.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 6 of 69
arossini

I thought it was fantastic that Autodesk was going to release Autocad for Mac, but the lack of plot styles and pdf capabilities renders the entire program useless.  The only reason why I use a PC is to run Autodesk programs, and with this release I was planning to finally migrate to my native OS, but right now I cannot find a solution around the complete lack of plotting options and why when you save as a pdf, the quality is terrible.  I have no complaints about the interface or how the Mac version works, but will not adopt it if this problem is not fixed.  

I have checked all the posts about the pdf issues and the "save as a pdf' function in the print setup does not work as it should, so if there is a way to plot to pdf the same way you can on a PC, I would love to know.  

Thank you

Message 7 of 69
kpinnell

These issues make Mac Autocad nearly useless. The plot quality looks terrible. It's back to Parallels for me. Autodesk's silence on this issue is disappointing in the least. 

Message 8 of 69
vermontian

Agreed.  Where are you Autodesk?  Please respond...

Message 9 of 69
pj89

About the pdf quality i can't say antthing.

But about the plot style manager it's just ridiculous. I still hope to find somewhere someone who will say "hey, you just have to do this!"... but the more post i read the more i get convinced that this is just BIIG hole inside this mac version.

AUTODESK, PLEASE RELEASE A PATCH FOR THIS!!!!

PS: the "reveal in finder" option in the ctb selection pannel is a joke?! It shows you the ctb's folder and you can.... say hello?! see how beautiful they are? what can you do if you can't open them?!?!

Message 10 of 69
phraluang

Not Much more to add, everyone sums it up.  Autodesk respond please, we are businesses, if it does not work we won't buy it... 

Message 11 of 69
pj89

Here you can find a list of the features of autocad for win unavailable on the mac version. Sadly there is also the Plot Styles Manager.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15833488&linkID=15839490

Please everybody go here to fill the surveil about wich features you miss.

The more people will says to use the Plot Styles Configuration daily, the more we can hope to see this feature on mac asap

Message 12 of 69
jppaulet
in reply to: pj89

No plot style manager?? no CTB modification/creation makes no sense!! Its what AutoCAD is all about!

Autodesk please say something! a patch is necessary ASAP!

Message 13 of 69
patrickbanks1229

In my office, we don't plot in-house.  All of our plotting is to file and then sent to a reprographics outfit.  If we can't plot to file, preferably a pdf, the software is useless.

I wouldn't mind using Parallels if it didn't require the use of an evil Microsoft product as well.

Message 14 of 69
pendean
in reply to: patrickbanks1229

Message 15 of 69
gale_gorman
in reply to: arossini

The "Save as PDF" does not use your plot style. You need a plotter defined as PDF like Adobe.

I also only use the Windoze side of my MAC to run AutoCAD and this release is very disappointing.

Not new to AutoCAD, I've owned and used it since 1986.

Message 16 of 69
pendean
in reply to: gale_gorman

That 'other' thread is continuing and a user seems to disagree with your assessment.

Message 17 of 69
pj89
in reply to: pendean

Here a way to edit your ctb stb files:

http://macacad.com/2010/11/03/ctb-stb-creating-and-editing-on-mac/

the merit goes to habashinn to have found it...

Message 18 of 69
jppaulet

great! let´s give it a try!

thanks for the tip!

Message 19 of 69
aidinnaimi

I also have problem with plot output with my autocad for Mac,the quality of PDF is not good at all and I can not find the option for changing or defining the line weights and color for printing!like monochrome setting in autocad in windows.

I just install the first update which upload in autodesk website,its written that PDF output quality has been improved but I don't see any change.

Message 20 of 69
aidinnaimi

No one knows any solution for this problem?!!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost