AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD for MAC downloading free trial

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
axonbeckettltd
4751 Views, 23 Replies

AutoCAD for MAC downloading free trial

I have PC at work and Mac at home and seriously want to explore the new AutoCAD for Mac. The free download trial onto my mac simply isn't working. A installer.dmg file downloads and Akamai Client Installer appears; double clicking this creates an Error message. No other download options in Autodesk for AutoCAD for Mac is available.

These are my machine stats:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac9,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

OS X 10.5.8

I'm a UK citizen and wondered if this may be the problem. If so, when will AutoCAD for Mac be available in the UK?

Also: any ideas when PDF'ing drawings will be available on the AutoCAD for Mac. Until this is available, there is currently no incentive to buy it yet.

Any thought s please?

Many Thanks

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24

I didn't have any trouble with the Akamai installer when downloading the demo yesterday, though it struck me as a particularly ugly tool. Stuck an Akamai folder full of support files in Applications, when it clearly runs as a browser plugin.

Did you still have the demo download page open in Safari when you ran the Akamai installer? Because the download progress meter appeared on that very page once it was running. If you had closed Safari you might have triggered the error.

As for PDF, the standard system-wide PDF creation button is available and works perfectly; all plot settings appear to apply.

Message 3 of 24
raywan
in reply to: axonbeckettltd
Message 4 of 24

Thanks for the response and i have tried it again in safari, but still no avail;  i was originally in chrome, thinking this could be the problem. 

I have checked the uk website for AutoCAD for Mac, but it simply doesn't exist, except as link to the US website.

I'm no techno buff and can only assume this could be the reason perhaps?

Roll on it's official launch in the UK. 

Message 5 of 24
axonbeckettltd
in reply to: raywan

thanks,

i have clicked the link and without pre-empting the final installation, this may be it!

the original free trial download (attempted 3 times) .dmg file was only 216kb; this link is downloading 585mb!.....with 5 hours to go :0(

lets wait and see.......i really hope this works.

speak soon and many thanks!

Message 6 of 24
raywan

Actually I got this link and download in chrome too. I'm in HongKong and I am not sure it is the region problem. Try it again or in this process.

In the education community,

click the 'get software', and choose autocad for mac, choose vision, and you can see that words.

Message 7 of 24
axonbeckettltd
in reply to: raywan

thanks for the link, this worked a treat.

i have my 30days and i've been using using most of today; i'm already considering upgrading my office to Mac.

Undoubtedly, there are a few quirky differences to release 2008 that i'm using, such as no use of the F1-F10 buttons, but maybe i haven't found out yet. It's a little slower on my iMac at home, but it does have a lower spec than what is recommended to run the software.

perhaps when the next upgrade comes along, some of the quirks will be resolved and i'll probably most certainly spent a small fortune on new kit and software.

TTFN Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 24
jlyon

I couldn't get the Akamai thing to work either. It would download the Akamai .dmg and then when I tried to launch the app inside the .dmg it would just pop up a small window with only a status bar and then quit when the status bar reached 100%. No downloading happened.

But the link posted above worked great. Thanks!

The Akamai thing seems ridiculously pointless. I couldn't get it to work for any other Autodesk trial either.

Message 9 of 24
uet
Community Visitor

hola

Message 10 of 24
Hana85

Hi,

I downloaded trial version of AutoCAD tried to install it but it says that I have already installed AutoCAD. I have never installed AutoCAD on my PC before and when I search in finder the only AutoCAD file I have is the installation file.

Could you please advise?

Message 11 of 24
amanda.k
in reply to: Hana85

Hello Hana!

Welcome to the Community.

I am a tad confused if you are installing the trial for Windows or for Mac. Please follow the instructions below depending on which system you have.

Windows - Follow the Clean Uninstall Instructions, then try to download the trial again.

Mac - Search Autodesk in Finder, drag and drop all Autodesk files into the Trash, and try again.

Please note that either solution above will completely remove all Autodesk products from you system, not just the AutoCAD Trial. Let us know if this helps.

Amanda Kinley
Community Program Manager
Message 12 of 24
Hana85
in reply to: amanda.k

Hi Amanda, 

Thank you for quick reply. 

I am trying to install the trial for MAC. As you can see on the screenshot I don't have autodesk on my Mac and the installation still says I already have AutoCAD installed. 

Message 13 of 24
asburyj

Hi Hana,

The installer for AutoCAD for MAC can also give this message if it detects a windows install of AutoCAD on a Parallels or Bootcamp partition. Could that be the case for you?

Jeffry Asbury
Message 14 of 24
maxim_k

Hi Hana,

Could you, please verify that you don't have two (or more) installations mounted, that is two (or more) DMG images of AutoCAD installer. If you have - unmount all, then restart your Mac, mount DMG and run installer again.

(actually the solution comes from Pavan Jella):

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-for-Mac/unable-to-install-AutoCAD-for-Mac/m-p/2969940#M1975

Another way to veryfy is there some AutoCAD installation on your Mac:

1. Open Terminal window > you can find it by typing terminal in spotlight

2. In Terminal window, input "find /Applications -name UPISpec" (without quotes)

If you have AC for Mac on your Mac this command should find it and will show somehing like this:

/Applications/Autodesk/AutoCAD 2013/AutoCAD 2013.app/Contents/CER/UPI/UPISpec

@ asburyj:

I'm afraid, that you are not right. AutoCAD installation in Windows (Boot Camp or more so inside virtual machine) never affect installation process on Mac.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 15 of 24
Hana85
in reply to: maxim_k

Hi guys, 

I do not have any other device paird with my Mac.

I only got this from the terminal:

-bash: find/Applications: No such file or directory

And the installation advise from Pavan Jella does not work I cannot eject the Autocad drive that opens up becuse it's the installation package. 

Anytime I try to open the AutoCAD dmg file it opens as a drive please see attached. 

Message 16 of 24
maxim_k

Yes, I see you have only one DMG mounted during installation, so it is not the case.
About Terminal command- you have to type it exactly like this:
find /Applications -name UPISpec
After the words "Applications" and "-name" there is a space, not Return!

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 17 of 24
Hana85

Tried copy paste and typing again and again and nothing happens 

Last login: Sat Dec 29 13:51:08 on ttys000
-imac-4:~ du$ find /Applications -name UPISpec
-imac-4:~ du$

No return only space and tried also find UPISpec only and 

find: UPISpec: No such file or directory

But when I type find /Applications UPISpec I get like million results from what seems like all applications on my MAC.

Message 18 of 24
maxim_k

It appears that you really don't have AutoCAD installed on your Mac.

BTW, what operating system do you have on your iMac?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 19 of 24
Hana85

Mac OS X Version 10.5.8

I do hope there is a cure for this one. 

H.

Message 20 of 24
maxim_k

10.5.8 ?

Which AutoCAD you are trying to install?

EDIT:

I asked about this, because only AutoCAD 2011 for Mac supported on this OS version, all others could give the issue you have during installation.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost