AutoCAD for Mac General Discussion

AutoCAD for Mac General Discussion

mlynskey
Message 1 of 60 (6,788 Views)

AutoCad for Mac doesn't work on older white MacBook?

6788 Views, 59 Replies
10-15-2010 08:38 AM

My white MacBook has an integrated graphics card, which doesn't seem to be compatible with the new Autocad.  I get an error message upon trying to install the program that the graphics card is not supported.  I run Autocad fine on the same machine using Windows, so it should be possible...

bethtibbles
Message 2 of 60 (6,769 Views)

Re: AutoCad for Mac doesn't work on older white MacBook?

10-15-2010 09:26 AM in reply to: mlynskey

I have the same problem for a black MacBook. I run AutoCAD on it through Parallels already.

maczag
Message 3 of 60 (6,765 Views)

10-15-2010 09:37 AM in reply to: bethtibbles

Is there a way to bypass System Hardware Detection and run it anyway ? I know that I may not get all the performance and features I should expect from a brand new computer running the software, but at least I could possibly be able to do basic drawing just fine. I think it's unfair to leave older hardware in the dark, as this same hardware can run Autocad just fine on bootcamp.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 4 of 60 (6,725 Views)

10-15-2010 12:21 PM in reply to: maczag

No bypass option, the hardware requirements are strict to avoid 'issues' for end users with the program's use.

Welcome to the world of Apple :smileyhappy:

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
mlynskey
Message 5 of 60 (6,723 Views)

10-15-2010 12:41 PM in reply to: mlynskey

...or welcome to the world of AutoCad.  I've never had any problem running any other program designed for Mac OS, including Adobe Suite, SketchUp, Vectorworks, etc.

Valued Contributor
RickGraham
Message 6 of 60 (6,709 Views)

10-15-2010 01:02 PM in reply to: mlynskey

Autodesk was pretty explicit on what hardware they would accept. Its all in the System requirements. And no, bypassing won't work (at least not that I'm aware of.

Rick

http://macacad.com

co-author Mastering AutoCAD for Mac - coming to your bookshelves this Thanksgiving!

Rick

skaa
Message 7 of 60 (6,616 Views)

10-16-2010 03:43 AM in reply to: mlynskey

i'm a user of autocad on PC since version R14, and i've used it with bootcamp for the last 3 years on a macbook pro and an imac. It's a shame that autodesk is making this kind of selection/exclusion leaving a lot of autocad and apple enthusiasts out. Frustrating! 

pboyce
Message 8 of 60 (6,517 Views)

10-17-2010 07:31 AM in reply to: pendean

pendean wrote:

Welcome to the world of Apple :smileyhappy:

You mean welcome to the world of AutoDesk; no other software retailers for Mac that are worth their salt integrate such strict hardware and OS into their software. It causes so many problems, especially for users that have computers the software could run on if it weren't for the fact that the company who wrote it decided that oh, that can't possibly work. Ever! It tends to frustrate people down the line, and if it's done poorly it opens another door to software bugs.

lilopie
Message 9 of 60 (6,389 Views)

10-19-2010 12:07 AM in reply to: RickGraham

I was able to bypass the code that detects system hardware prior to installation, unfortunately, even after a successful installation AutoCad merely prompts "WHIP failed to initialize" upon application startup. It is quite a shame that Autodesk is limiting us from obtaining the most from our Apple purchases, especially since they are such an investment in the first place.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 10 of 60 (6,369 Views)

10-19-2010 05:33 AM in reply to: pboyce

I'm not defending anyone, but... if you're going to write software for a new platform and want to ensure it does not get tainted by failings like it does on current platofrms due to heavy 'legacy' issues, you make sure your new software only runs on the 'best' of the new platform and you give up trying to please those that want legacy compliance.

And no offense to you or any other Apple user, but you bought into an expensive system that touts very few crashes for one reason: you are forced to buy newer hardware faster than any other platform. So enjoy the Apple ride, or jump off that train and get on the Windows' hold-on-to-legacy-and-hope-it-all-works train that the other 80% of the computer world is on.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.