AutoCAD for Mac General Discussion

AutoCAD for Mac General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
maxim_k
Message 51 of 60 (1,357 Views)

Re: AutoCad for Mac doesn't work on older white MacBook?

06-29-2011 08:49 PM in reply to: nsda_arch

Hi,

FYI:

I have seen such message from AutoCAD only once: on hackintosh system with incorrectly loaded display drivers.

Check Graphics/Display state in System profiler.

Maxim

Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | MARSS

Contributor
antoniofontenele
Message 52 of 60 (1,331 Views)

07-06-2011 10:19 AM in reply to: mlynskey

This issue remembers me the issue with 386-DX / 386-SX Intel Processors and AutoCAD R10. 386-SX did not have a math co-processor, and Autodesk blocked access to AutoCAD R10 due this hardware limitation. But someone wrote a nice and little software that cheated with this limitation, and we could run AutoCAD R10 in a 386-SX based machine. And the performance was acceptable. We just need some programmer that could cheat with AutoCAD 2011 for Mac limitation.

c4pt1n54n0
Message 53 of 60 (928 Views)

01-10-2012 07:22 PM in reply to: mlynskey

its easy, there is literally a list of "unsopported gfx cards" in it the mpkg.

Valued Contributor
aksaks
Message 54 of 60 (769 Views)

04-15-2012 08:58 PM in reply to: c4pt1n54n0

Nice work c4pt. The file is "unspt_gfx_cards". Fixing this file should get one past the instaIl checker but it may not solve the WHIP issue. This unspt_gfx_cards file is a simple text file in the Contents/Resources folder of Install....mpkg file. You get to it by selecting Show Package Contents after right clicking the mpkg. The install checker may be trying to find any of the full lines of text in the computer's graphic's name, so make sure to repair any line that you think could be found in the graphics name. The trick is saving the repaired file. The mpkg may be available only as part of a disk image and therefore locked. So copy all the files out of the disk image out to a folder. Then fix. The mpkg may want to be in a disk image to run properly. Use Disk Utility to make an large enough new disk image.

paulbreen911
Message 55 of 60 (738 Views)

04-23-2012 10:03 AM in reply to: mlynskey

I too am having this problem.

I've edited the unsupported graphics file within the .mpkg file after copying it out of the .dmg file. Saved it, then tried re-installing it. Perfect. Installed no problem.

Now all I'm getting is "WHIP failed to initialize". Sent report to Autodesk, I expect the usual "Your graphics card is not supported blah blah"

So is there anyone out there who can repair this WHIP and get it to initialize?

sebasco80
Message 56 of 60 (331 Views)

07-17-2013 05:21 PM in reply to: josue_sb

I´m sorry, but your answer is the kind that says it all...and nothing...

The bottom line I still can´t understand, is how the hell is my macbook´s graphic card uncapable to run AutoCad on OS X while it´s perfectly capable of running it on Windows in parallels?!!! It makes no sense 

And yes, Autodesk says.........and yes Apple says.......but they never ¨explain the reasons¨ why many of us have to dump perfectly good computers on behalf of one program.

Valued Contributor
RickGraham
Message 57 of 60 (330 Views)

07-17-2013 05:23 PM in reply to: sebasco80
Live with it. It's not going to change.

Sent from my iPhone. Pardon any misspellings or otherwise that I may have fat-fingered.
Rick

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 58 of 60 (323 Views)

07-18-2013 03:46 AM in reply to: mlynskey
Windows by Microsoft, OSX by Apple, using two differently coded AutoCAD programs for each: what part of this don't you understand?
You are comparing apples to oranges: just because they come from the same orchard doesn't make them equal. Pay attention my friend, program coding is not so simplistic.
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Valued Contributor
David_Stacey
Message 59 of 60 (320 Views)

07-18-2013 04:38 AM in reply to: mlynskey
@sebasco80

If you don't have a supported graphics card to run AutoCAD for Mac, you will have issues (duh).
The Windows and Mac versions are entirely different products. They both support different hardware and hence the issues you are having.
*Expert Elite*
maxim_k
Message 60 of 60 (315 Views)

07-18-2013 06:05 AM in reply to: mlynskey
AutoCAD for Mac graphics engine works only with Hardware Acceleration, I think that should explain all. Low level graphics card can not produce acceptable results.

Maxim
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | MARSS

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.