AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD for MAC 2013 running slow

60 REPLIES 60
Message 1 of 61
JohnRennie
9664 Views, 60 Replies

AutoCAD for MAC 2013 running slow

Is anyone else's 2013 running like a dog?

It seems to park itself for a few seconds in between commands (especially zooming or panning) and I get my spinning disc symobol on the screen while it sorts itself out.

It was like a slow server connection, but I tried working direct off my hard disk and it was just the same.

I've reverted back to 2012 meantime, but it would be interesting to see if anyone else has issues.

The mac I'm running is fairly hi spec (iMac Intel Core i7 + 12MB RAM)

60 REPLIES 60
Message 21 of 61
HawkAIA
in reply to: maxim_k

That is what I love about forums.  You can learn so much from really smart people like maxim_k.  Of all the times I have used QuickTimePlayer, I never realized it would do a screen capture.

I posted an mp4 movie of me drawing some line segments and then erasing them in a drawing that was created in AcadMac2012. The delays are little one second and two second delays that don't look like much in a screen capture, but they drive me nuts. Near the end of the movie I jiggle the mouse during the delay so that when the progam kicks in you see the cursor jumping around. That is from me jiggling the mouse during the hang time, representing the frustration that builds up.

I draw the lines in the upper right corner of the screen of an existing file.  The little delays between line segments look like I am hesitating, but they are the program hanging between each segment.  At the end I erase in two separate commands to show the hang at the end of each erase command.

Movie (2.6mb) is at:  http://www.hawkaia.com/Projects/Hawk/Acad2013LineDelays.mp4

Message 22 of 61
maxim_k
in reply to: HawkAIA

Hi john,

You're just intrigued me, I did not observe such delays in none of the files (which were created in various versions of AutoCAD).

If your file does not contain any secrets, could you send it to my mail (mkanaev@yandex.ru) or post here?  I want to test it on my system.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 23 of 61
HawkAIA

Sorry for the slow response.  I have been away.  Emailed the files to you.  There are several files which are xref attachments, but all exhibit the same behavior. All were originally created on Mac Acad 2012.  My machine is a 17" MBP with a 2.8 Ghz i7 and 8GB or RAM.

Message 24 of 61
JohnRennie

I've just had a major issue whereby my libraries within Content Explorer were all merged, and this seemed to create a major issue for AutoCAD.

It basically slowed right down with about 5mins between commands. I finally deleted the library and have re-added them as individual drawings and the situation has been improved.

Does anyone else have a large library within their Content?

Message 25 of 61
maxim_k

Hi John,

I have tested your files and got the same delays.

Of course, the real reason for the delays are Xrefs, attached to the drawing file.

But, in your case the situation is complicated by the fact that the external references contain PROXY objects KtiDetAc (from KETIV's ArchT ?). After I exploded all PROXY objects in each of external references (with the help of AutoCAD for Windows and ExplodeAllProxy + RemoveAllProxy ARX application from Alexandr Rivilis) and reattached them to your file the delays are still here, but the delays become much smaller.

I emailed files edited by me to you, you can test them.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 26 of 61
HawkAIA

Opened the files and it is better, but the delays are still there.  I was at another office today that was running Autocad Windows 2013 on PC's.  They have exactly the same delays on entity creation commands.   Looks like Autocad 2013 is channeling Autocad 13 and this is not just a Mac problem.   I had noticed that the xrefs do make it worse.  Yes, we have a lot of old content with nested ArchT blocks that are hard to purge.  Mac 2011 and 2012 had no problem with them or with the xrefs.  I appreciate the proxy explode tip and will put it to use.

Thanks for trying.  I think I will log a support request, although I don't expect a solution from it.   

Message 27 of 61
Leaf.chai

Hi user,

As you said, this delay also exists on Windows side. So can you send me the drawing? I will log a defect to Windows side and track with it.

My e-mail: Leaf.chai@autodesk.com

Leaf Chai
AutoCAD QA Analyst

Message 28 of 61
HawkAIA

Just an update:

On the Windows Acad 2013, turning off all proxy objects seems to mostly make the problem go away.

Proxy commands on Mac 2013 seem to be shortchanged.  On Mac 2012, four proxy system variables are present (ProxyGraphics, ProxyNotice, ProxyShow, and ProxyWebsearch).  On 2013, ProxyWebsearch is missing (Both Mac and Windows versions), even though it is still listed in the online Help for 2013.  Is ProxyWebsearch now on by default with no way to turn it off?

Setting all three Proxy sys variables to 0 on Mac 2013 made a very, very slight improvement, but not anything I would call a work-around.

Message 29 of 61

I have the same machine as Maxim, except my macbookpro memory is 4 GB does that itself make my AutoCAD 2013 run **** slow?

Thanks

Message 30 of 61
HawkAIA

Yes, especially if you have any other programs open (even just email).  Also the longer you have Autocad open, the more fragmented the RAM will become and things will bog down.

On a positive note, I received an answer to my support request.  Autodesk confirms the problem and they are working on a fix.  🙂

Message 31 of 61
JohnRennie

Has anyone had a responce to the support logs they submitted to Autodesk on this issue?

I have not used 2013 since it's first release.

Message 32 of 61
HawkAIA
in reply to: JohnRennie

Yes. I logged a support request. They asked for my files which I sent, and they read this thread.  They replied that it had been acknowledged that this was a bug, apologized for the inconvenience, and closed the support request.  Another tech support intervention successfully completed.  🙂

I use 2013 and it seems to be ok if you start a new file from scratch and don't attach a bunch of xrefs.  It is nowhere near as fast as 2012, though.  Another problem with 2013 is that LISP routines are very slow at execution.

Message 33 of 61
jose.peres

I did have some problem. I fix it with antivirus. 

msg from antivirus: Alarm RED, Exploit 'OSX/MetaData.B' detected in the file 'Localizable.string'

I did repair with antivirus and deleted the file.

Message 34 of 61
maxim_k

Hi,
I'm just curious where (in which folder) was this 'Localizable.string' file?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 35 of 61
jose.peres

Hi Maxim_k Here is the file location Virus found in: Computer/Applications/Osirix.app/Contents/Japonese.Iproj/Localizable.strings Regards. Jose Peres Hello jose.peres, You have 1 update for your Autodesk Discussion Groups Subscriptions. Subscription to Topic: AutoCAD for MAC 2013 running slow (1 Update) There was a new Reply. Subject: Re: AutoCAD for MAC 2013 running slow Author: maxim_k (*Expert Elite*) Date: 01-06-2013 07:23 AM Hi, I'm just curious where (in which folder) was this 'Localizable.string' file? Maxim Reply
Message 36 of 61
maxim_k
in reply to: jose.peres

Thanks,

I just thought that it was inside AutoCAD application.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 37 of 61
wei503

I hope you guys see the improvement on the slow-down issue with acad mac 2013 SP1. We fixed a serious memory leak issue which makes autocad to be slower as time goes.

We have another known issue which leads to autocad slow down when you use hatch library frequently, and we are working on a fix.

Please reply if you see any remaining slow-down issue after SP1 patched.

Thanks,
Wei

Wei Ma
AutoCAD for Mac QA Manager

Message 38 of 61
deenzy1
in reply to: wei503

I downloaded a trial version of LT for Mac 2 weeks ago and have been having similar problems as described, time lags and the spinning coloured wheel which can hang around for over a minute or 2 sometimes.

Can i download the new service pack? As I am not keen on spending £1200 for the software in its current guise

Message 39 of 61
deenzy1
in reply to: deenzy1

I should have said I am running a brand new iMac also purchased 2 weeks ago. Im a new Mac user and was using LT on Windows previously

Message 40 of 61
wei503
in reply to: deenzy1

Deenzy,

You can click menu AutoCAD LT 2013 > Check for Updates to see if you have installed SP1 or not.

Please can you send the drawing to me at wei.ma@autodesk.com? And does the lag happen for some particular operation?

Thanks,
Wei

Wei Ma
AutoCAD for Mac QA Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost