AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCad Architecture for mac?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
jonnyjames100
2182 Views, 9 Replies

AutoCad Architecture for mac?

Will there be AutoCAD Architecture for mac? im currently doing a property course and normal AutoCAD does not have to right features.

thanks Joanthan

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
jschaap
in reply to: jonnyjames100

I would like to have Inventor 2012 for MAC
Message 3 of 10
MacCadder
in reply to: jonnyjames100

Maybe incorporating an addon or a plugin may come down the line to address these features. I can't see AutoDesk completely mirroring the PC platform software availability, would be too costly.

Message 4 of 10
jschaap
in reply to: MacCadder

Solidworks is going to be, would drive  inventor users using bootcamp to the native osx platform i gues....

Message 5 of 10
MacCadder
in reply to: jschaap

Did I read your response correctly, did you say Solidworks is coming to the Mac platform? I've never heard this before.

Message 6 of 10
jschaap

just do some google, te news is not from ages ago.. although a timeline (quote) is not menioned yet. but at least it is on their way...

Message 7 of 10
jaich

I'm honestly surprised that Autodesk even came out with AutoCAD for mac.  They made a whole new version of the software for an OS that represents 5% of market share? (source:http://marketshare.hitslink.com/os-market-share.aspx?qprid=9)  I've seen other estimates that place the mac OS's at 10%, but ADSK seems to have limited the versions that ACAD will work on, so it's probably closer to that 5% figure.  I don't get it.  

Message 8 of 10
nintapple
in reply to: jaich

Well it's probably because the 5%-95% ratio is NOT true for the professional market. For drafters and designers, Macs are extremely predominant. My architecture school runs at about 75% Macs for example. And the incoming freshman year is well over 75% Mac.

Message 9 of 10
jaich
in reply to: nintapple

Can you supply some citations that supports your 5%-95% ratio is NOT true for the professional market statement?  I'm curious as to where macs are predominant.  Schools have always been more mac centric; Apple used to give their computers to schools.  

Message 10 of 10

Although there are no 'official' stats about what designers use, the 5%-95% is for all computers worldwide in all markets.  The 'home family user' is currently a PC based market due to the fact that PCs are much more affordable for people who just surf the web and play a few games.

It is widely regarded that Macs are the preferred choice to the designer because of their excellent handling of the Adobe Suite of programs as well as being more efficient and stable compared to their PC counterparts.  I would estimate that 75% of publishers, film editors, graphics designers worth their salt use Macs. Architecture is one of the last design fields to move onto this OS, mainly because the array of programs have not been available.

If an Architectural is Mac based most are then using VectorWorks and Cinema4D.  Politically Mac is missing out on a huge market and so are AutoDesk.  The maority of young graduates are Mac based and want to use Macs in their profession (not go backwards to PC). 

Therefore Autodesk see an opportunity to move into a market they do not control and over time Mac will in my opinion overtake PC in the architectural field.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost