AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad 2013 Mac: Subtraction of 3D Objects Not Working

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
schlaf
10111 Views, 5 Replies

Autocad 2013 Mac: Subtraction of 3D Objects Not Working

Hi There:

I am using the 2013 Autocad educational version. I am trying to subtract two 3D objects (essentially to make a hole into a cube). For the life of me I cannot get them subtracted. Adding works fine, but not subtracting. I click on the adding symbol with control held down, then select subtract, then select the two objects with the shift key held down. Once they appear selected, I press Enter. Nothing happens. Same sequence for adding works every time. What am I missing? Bug? Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
maxim_k
in reply to: schlaf

@schlaf wrote:

Hi There:

... I click on the adding symbol with control held down, then select subtract, then select the two objects with the shift key held down. Once they appear selected, I press Enter. Nothing happens....

Hi, are you sure? What "adding symbol" do you mean?

In AutoCAD you have SUBTRACT command for subtracting solids:

Call SUBTRACT command with method you prefer, then select solids, surfaces, and regions to subtract from, hit Return, then select solids, surfaces, and regions to subtract.

Second selection will be subtracted from the first.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 6
schlaf

Great! Thanks! It works now! I didn't understand that I need to press return after selecting the first object.

Message 4 of 6
arca3

Hi,

I'm having the same problem as well, except the union and intersect commands aren't working either.  I have tried Maxim suggested above, but with no luck.  Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Trang

Message 5 of 6
schlaf

Subtract and union/intersect are different in that subtract needs you to identify which object to subtract from the other object...this means that there needs to be a sequence. Union/intersect on the other hand do not need this information. This means you can select both objects with the shift key held down, and only press return after selecting both which then executes the union/intersect. Hope that helped.

Message 6 of 6
arca3
in reply to: arca3

I'm wondering if I'm having trouble because I'm working with intricate spline curves (iron 'C' Scrolls)?

Trang

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost