AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad 2013 Mac freezes when opening certain DWG files (hogging CPU and RAM)

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
doogle11
1883 Views, 11 Replies

Autocad 2013 Mac freezes when opening certain DWG files (hogging CPU and RAM)

There are a number of work files I've been trying to open. They are all *.dwg files, drawn with earlier versions of Autocad on PC. Some of these files were drawn with really old versions of Autocad Architectural Desktop (somewhere around 2000-2003?).

All of these files have wall/window/door AEC objects from Autocad Architectural Desktop. Some of them also have pre-made/pre-drawn "blocks" of household fixtures (toilets, bathtubs, sink etc.).  They also have references

So, whenever I open these files, 3 pop up windows will appear and I'm offered some options:

- "This drawing was last saved with an earlier version of the software."

Saving the drawing will update any AEC objects in it to the current version, which will be incompatible with earlier versions.

- This drawing has unsupported objects. Autocad does not support some of the objects in this drawing. What do you want to do?

*show objects when available.

*show bounding box for unsupported objects

*do not show unsupported objects.

- One or more refernced files could not be located or read. What do you want to do?

*update the location of referenced files

*ignore unresolved references and continue.

No matter which options I choose, it will proceed to freeze forever, and the CPU and RAM usage will creep up to close to 97% usage, until I force quit the application.

I'm able to see the drawing in the background when the popup windows appeared. I just never was able to get pass the stage where it froze.

I have the SP1 for Autocad Mac installed. I was hoping this would fix the AEC objects crashing issue. There was no improvement with SP1 installed.

Is there some workaround for this issue?

I want to be able to work on this drawing using Mac's Autocad 2013.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
maxim_k
in reply to: doogle11

Welcome to the Autodesk Forums!

It is really difficult to diagnose such problems with AEC objects in AC for Mac without having at hand problem files. I have a lot of DWG files from my co-workers with proxy objects in it, but never had a problem with opening such files on Mac.

Could you send one of the problem files to my e-mail: mkanaev at yandex.ru ?

I'll try to investigate the problem.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 12
doogle11
in reply to: maxim_k

Hi Maxim.  I have emailed one of the DWGs to you.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions!

Message 4 of 12
maxim_k

Hi Daniel,

Believe me or not, but I was able to open your problem file. Smiley Happy

I think that the great number of filters is the main obstacle in this case and setting System Variable LAYERFILTERALERT=3 will save your life.

The default value of this variable in AC for Mac is "2" and in tis case AutoCAD will not inform you about Layer filters:

Screen Shot 2013-08-13 at 12.26.40.png

and doesn't allow to delete them before it will start to populate Layers Palette with Layer filters.

So Start AutoCAD, set LAYERFILTERALERT=3 and try to open one of your drawings. Select "Delete all layer filters" when AutoCAD prompt you.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 12
doogle11

Thank you Maxim you have been of great help. I tried this just now. When I open Autocad, I use the command LAYERFILTERALERT and set the integer to 3.

I was prompt with this window the first time:

However, I clicked "retain all layers" by mistake, and of course it proceeded to freeze.

I restarted Autocad to try again. I again used the command to change LAYERFILTERALERT=3.

Now I'm no longer prompt with the popup window above. Is there a way to rectify this?

Message 6 of 12
doogle11

I've found a way that seems to bring the prompt window back.

I took a look at this thread: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-for-Mac/2013-LT-Mac-Potential-Purchase-Problem-Loading-Existin...

Specifically this:

First I opened an empty new file.

Then from the layer palette, I turned on:

- Show layer groups

- Show groups on top

- Show empty groups

I also set LAYERFILTERALERT=3.

Now I proceed to open my problem file.  The prompt window reappeared again.

Seems to be working so far, for other files as well.  Though I have yet to reproduce the problem (of disappearing prompt window) to test if this method always works. 

Hope this helps whoever else is having this problem.

Message 7 of 12
doogle11

By the way, Maxim, what does it mean when I have deleted all layer filters?  I'm not familiar with layer filters. 

How do I keep track of what type of info would be missing from the file when I use this method to import a DWG into Autocad Mac?

Message 8 of 12
maxim_k

Hi Daniel,

One word about the complete solution of your problem. Yes, really you must comply with a number of conditions. The solution came from myself, just forgot about the complete way. But anyway, you have found it and that is great.
About Layer filters them self - they are just groups of layers in drawing file, groups created by some person in order to organize his work with large amount of layers in drawing file. You can read more about layer filters (or groups in AC for Mac) in Help documentation.
But at the same time sometimes layer filters could be really dangerous for your workflow -CSS in your case. Look at this post with the story about opposite side of layer filters:
themadcadder.blogs.com/my_weblog/2005/06/automatic_layer.html
So you don't have to worry about information you loose by deleting layer filters (groups) created without any control long time ago.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 9 of 12
MRothAFBC

Maxim,

I am having trouble opening a small AutoCAD file and I have tried the LayerFilterAlert command to no avail.  Are you able to open this file?
I copy you on the issue below:

Eric,

This news effects me too.  So far I’ve been using AutoCAD 2013 LT with OS X Yosemite (Beta?) with no problem.
I would be happiest with the full version of AutoCAD 2015 on a PC, and avoid the many mac productivity bugs frequently blogged about, but I am working with whatever I am given.
I am also able to open other AutoCAD files today, so I can’t understand why I cannot open this HWC Base file, or why I can open the layouts file which is current and has the file attached and up to date, but not the file itself.  It was working fine at 5PM yesterday this is truly mysterious.  I am obviously still trying to figure it out here.

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: Re: HWC AutoCAD File Issue
Date: December 4, 2014 at 10:43:26 AM PST
To: Manuel Roth <manuel@afbc-nw.com>

I can’t get AutoCAD 2013 LT to even start without crashing. I’m running am OS X Yosemite beta, and according to the Autodesk website, 2013 isn’t compatible with any version of Yosemite (planned obsolescence I imagine).

Thanks,

ERIC

On Dec 4, 2014, at 11:34 AM, Manuel Roth <manuel@afbc-nw.com> wrote:

I am able to open

OR14-068-24x36 TITLEBLOCK.dwg
OR14-068-A1.0-X.X-LAYOUTS.dwg (which has the base href’d in)
but the base file:
OR14-068-HWC-BASE.dwg
still hangs on opening.  I can recover it and it fixes 11 errors but then hangs (and also hangs so bad I can’t use any other programs!?
I can open other autocad files fine.

Read the following:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-for-mac-general/autocad-2013-mac-freezes-when-opening-certain-...
tried changing layerfilteralert variables to 3, 0, from preset 2.  No effect.
Given this file was working fine last night I don’t know what changed.  There are probably 10 or so raster image jpegs attached (that can be detached), but the file is small 2.8 MB I don’t think that’s it.  

Do you think it’s a network thing or a AutoCAD 2013 LT Mac thing?  Have you had any luck?

Thanks,

MANUEL ROTH
PROJECT MANAGER
Alliance Project Engineers and Construction Consultants

Message 10 of 12
MRothAFBC
in reply to: MRothAFBC

"These versions may launch, but will not operate properly and damage to your project data could occur"

Say WHAT! Is this all because I "upgraded" to Yosemite? 

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-for-mac/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles...

Since I can open the layouts file which my problem file is xreferenced to, I can at least trace/recreate it, but I would like to know why it stalled out/did this to begin with.

Message 11 of 12
maxim_k
in reply to: MRothAFBC

Hi ERIC,

I was able to open drawing file you attached to the post without any issues. I also noticed that you have 14 externally referenced image files which I don't have at hand, so maybe the case of freezing while opening this file is in these images? Maybe AutoCAD hangs hen it load them on your Mac?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 12 of 12
MRothAFBC

Maxim,

Sorry for the confusion, Eric is my coworker, I'm Manuel (MRothAFBC).  There were some raster images attached, but I don't think that was it.

I was finally was able to get to the base drawing by following:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/AutoCAD...

Specifically:

3. Open a blank DWG and run the INSERT command. Select the problematic file and see if it will insert. If it does, then run EXPLODE and select the inserted block. Run AUDIT and PURGE commands, and then use SAVEAS to create a new DWG.

When I opened it the drawing had been scaled and I had to turn off and delete out all the dimensions, and rescale the drawing, but it worked.  Previously I did use match properties to change some dimension styles, could that have been it?  The file was to scale and fine when I last saved it.  It seems like with hatches/scale especially AutoCAD 2013 for Mac has some bugs.

MRothAFBC

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost