AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCad 2013 LT for Mac

35 REPLIES 35
SOLVED
Message 1 of 36
michael
5779 Views, 35 Replies

AutoCad 2013 LT for Mac

How can I set the default save as to 2004?

i have read and tried the various suggestions from previous posts and seem to be unable to get it to change - 

thanks

md

35 REPLIES 35
Message 21 of 36
maxim_k
in reply to: dilorenzog1985

Hi,

Format for save stored not as System variable, but as Environment variable, to set it you have to use AutoLISP expression:

(setenv "DefaultFormatForSave" "36")

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 22 of 36
dilorenzog1985
in reply to: maxim_k

thank very much! Smiley Happy

now I would know if possible to change color background in 3d visual style?

Message 23 of 36
maxim_k
in reply to: dilorenzog1985

Yes, the same way as change render background.

Look for solution in my blog:

http://wp.me/p10TA2-c3

HTH

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 24 of 36
hlafferty28
in reply to: michael

To Maxim:

You seem to be the resident guru.  How would the "save as" terminal command have to be changed for Autocad 2014 LT for Mac (purchased from Autodesk)?

Message 25 of 36
maxim_k
in reply to: hlafferty28

Hi,

There is no need to use Terminal, because now (in 2014) you can change default format for save from AC LT preferences

Screen Shot 2013-10-26 at 8.56.55.png

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 26 of 36
hlafferty28

I can no longer find a place to submit an issue on this website, so I am going to submit it here with the hope that my question may be seen.  Ever since installing ACad 2014 LT for Mac back in November, I have experienced crashes when using print preview.  I waited for the first service pack thinking that it may address the question, but am still experiencing the problem.  Is this something others have expeienced?  Is it printer related?  Drawing file related?  Has anyone found a work around?

Message 27 of 36
maxim_k

Hi,

Do you use custom paper sizes?
Which printer you have on your Mac?
Does it crashes if you use Batch printing?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 28 of 36
hlafferty28

All good questions.

I now have a number of paper sizes defined.  (8.5x11, 11x17, 18x24, 24x36, 30x42)  Generally I am using either 11x17 or 24x36.

The printer is a Konica Minolta printer.  I rarely send the print to the printer, though - I usually print to PDF.  If I need full size, I send the PDF file to a local printer who will print them for me.  This eliminates the need to purchase a large format printer (been there) and allows me to recapture the expense from my clients as a reimbursible expense.

I select the paper size everytime.  At the same time, I check the plot style table and the paper orientation.  Probably 80% of the time, AutoCad crashes.  I have become very careful about saving before printing.

I have had other issues with autocad crashing as well.  It seems much more frequent with this version.  I have a number of different layouts - some cgoing back to an HP 7585 plotter.  All I have edited to be current.  I have block definitions, hatch definitions,  linetypes, and fonts that go back as far as 1985.  I have used Archibus FM, and vertex detailer. I have changed platforms from DOS, to Windows (NT, 95, millenium, XP, and 7)  (There was a 11 year period beginning at r13 ( I think) that I was using MicroStation).  Switched back to AutoCad in 2004.  Now working on a Mac - with OS upgrades from Snow Leopard to Mavericks.

Printers change. Printers that worked with XP don't work with Windows 7 or Mac.  That is why I just prefer to print to PDF.

Thanks for your quick reply.  I am not really sure of the best way to resolve this, but I am unwilling to start entirely fresh, since the time investment to date is immeasurable.  Any suggestions you can offer are appreciated.

No batch  printing.

Message 29 of 36
maxim_k

I mean Batch "printing" to PDF- it is very usefull feature. If you save page setup(s) in your drawings, you can use Batch plot to PDF from multiple files.
Try it and look if it will crash.
Maybe the case is in current System printer software. You can try to install gutenprint drivers to output to PDF.
Please search the Forum for instructions how to instal this driver as fake network printer.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 30 of 36
hlafferty28

I will look into that.

Mac will print to PDF.  Until 2014, ACAD LT for Mac did not have a preview.  I would "print" to PDF and then preview.  I downloaded a PDF emulation printer for Mac, but had some issues after Mavericks came out, so deleted it.

I have other Gutenberg CUPS drivers, but haven't seen one for PDF - I will have to check.

I will play around with the Batch print to PDF and see where that avenue leads.  Thank you for your suggestions.

Of course this still does not resolve the other crashing issues, but I will try to address one thing at a time.

Henry
Message 31 of 36
maxim_k

Hi Henry.

I thought you can try to reset AutoCAD preferences by trashing preferences file:

~/Library/Application Support/Autodesk/local/AutoCAD LT 2014/R19.1/enu/HKCU.plist

Or you can simply move it to some "safe" place - you will loose all custom system variable settings, but maybe this will help to resolve issues with printing and some of other crashes.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 32 of 36
hlafferty28

Maxim,

I hadn't thought of that.  I moved it to an archive directory and changed the file ext to .pold.  When I opened autocad, there were no palletes or toolbars at all.  In fact the menu bar gives me no options except what is always under AutoCad.  Options for File, Edit, View etc are gone.  I am not quite sure why this is so.  [10 minutes later - NEVER MIND! - I just reset and all palletes/toolbars are there now.  Now for the daylong+ task of resetting all my preferences.   Not sure if this will take care of the problem or not.]

Many of the errors (not shutdowns) I receive are a result of unsupported objects in the drawing file.  This is because files and page setups have carryovers from consultants (plumbing for instance) and from arrchitectural desktop, which we once used in more prosperous times.  I have never been able to find object enablers that work with Autocad LT for Mac, and I have never been able to figure out how to remove these objects from the drawing.

Regarding our other discussion about printers:

I have created a printer based on HP750 C assigned to a fictitious IP Address.  No problem.

In your comments to someone else, you suggested:

"And here is another trick: you can assign "DWG to PDF.pc3" (without quotes) name to this fake printer and will never get an alert about it from AutoCAD."

Did you mean to assign that name to system printer?  Will Autocad automatically generate a pdf file?

Interesting...

Message 33 of 36
maxim_k

Hi Henry,

Yes, you can create new System Printer in Mac OS and give it the name of your choice, including "DWG to PDF.pc3". Or you can even rename existing printer.
But here is another problem: you need also to create custom paper sizes with name and dimensions matching AC for PC DWG to PDF printer. Than you would not receive an alert about paper size too.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 34 of 36
hlafferty28

Totally not getting what you are saying - probably my fault.  I created a system printer with the name DWG to pdf.pc3.  Not really sure that name is necessary.  Autocad LT for Mac does not use the "Plotter Manager" or the "Add a Plotter Wizard". The only option is the Page Setup Manager.  I have a number of custom sizes already created, so that is not a problem.  And the HP DesignJet 750C has just about every size imaginable - both imperial and metric defined.

OS X allows me to "save to PDF" which has become my normal process.  It would be nice to have the option of click "print" and have a pdf automatically generated using a system PDF printer.  PDFwriter allowed me to do that - until I switched to Mavericks.  I haven't been able to find a comparable add-on. Admittedly, these are matters of convenience, since I don't really see much difference in the final product.  I can live with the "print-to-pdf" the way I currently have to print.  It would be nice to have the other option, but it is not essential.

The constant crashing is what is driving me crazy.  That and having to retore/repair files after restarting AC.

Message 35 of 36
maxim_k

I told you about the case when you open DWG file with Page Setup created in PC version of AC (with DWG to PDF AutoCAD for Windows driver). The only purpose of having such printer name on Mac is that when you first time want to print DWG with Page Setup created on Win, you will not receive an alert about plotter name.
The same is about custom paper sizes: each paper size have unique name, so in order to do not get an alert about paper size in such files, you need to have paper sizes with proper names (they should match Windows paper size names).

About saving too PDF: Why do you don't want to use Batch Publish to PDF? In this case you only need to select files (layouts) to plot, set path for saving PFDs, and pick Publish button.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 36 of 36
hlafferty28

Maxim-

All is ok - with regard to plotter names, paper sizes, etc.  Good on this end.  Your suggestions are very much appreciated.

I was just getting ready to respond regarding batch printing when your reponse popped up.  I don't know why I never used it before.  I guess because old habits die hard.  I still remeber setting up page sizes, limits and all the rest.  That includes cleaning out clogged pens on an HP pen plotter.  At any rate, I have used it, and as of right now, there are no problems/no crashes.  I will probably be using it moving forward.  Regarding crashing, I have made a number of other adjstments, so I can't point to what the issue is/was, and I am not sure the problem has been fully addressed.  I am making screen shots whenever there is an error message.

Thanks for pointing to a new path.  I am sure there are many other improvements that I have not yet learned.

BTW, I have just installed ubuntu on an old xp box.  No autocad for that, so I am learning to use DraftSight.  The last time I experimented with it 2.5 years ago, it would not print to pdf.  Major flaw!  Obviously it is no substitute for my current platform, but we never stop learning.  And I will NEVER go back to a Windows platform willingly (I wish Autodesk would come out with mac based Revit).

Thanks againg for your suggestions.

H

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost