AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2013 from Mac update for Retina display

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
knmdk
8960 Views, 9 Replies

AutoCAD 2013 from Mac update for Retina display

It's been 5 months since Retina displays were introduced. When Autodesk will to update AutoCAD 2013 for Mac GUI with Retina display support?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
maxim_k
in reply to: knmdk

Hi,

I'm just curious - what problems do you have with AutoCAD on Retina display?

Are there any glitches in interface? Maybe some areas are blurred or something like this?

Does the absence of update for Retina display interfere with your daily work in AutoCAD?

Thanks,

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 10
knmdk
in reply to: maxim_k

@maxim_k wrote:

Hi,

I'm just curious - what problems do you have with AutoCAD on Retina display?

Are there any glitches in interface? Maybe some areas are blurred or something like this?

Does the absence of update for Retina display interfere with your daily work in AutoCAD?

Thanks,

Maxim

On the promo image at  website tool palette icons are nice & crisp:

@I believe all icons are different today. They all should be re-done @2x to look as advertised.

During presentation of all-new Retina MacBook Pro it was stated Autodesk will update AutoCAD in the near future. I guess the time has come to release the update.

Message 4 of 10
maxim_k

OK,

I see.

In fact all resources for icons are stored inside AutoCAD application in .ICNS format - there are about 830 images (415 for dark theme and 415 for light) there. And each .ICNS file contains only two predefined resolutions 16 and 32:

Screen Shot 2012-12-04 at 18.30.51.png

Developers have to add at least 128x128 images to each .ICNS file to display them fine on Retina display.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 10
knmdk

Totally. I was going to install trial and dig into resources myself. You've saved me some time here.

The UI update thing is really easy to do so why it takes so long? Even Adobe had updated their Photoshop CS6 (update to be released in a week) which had 2500+ to be re-done (not to mention app engine modifications for HiPDI support).

Message 6 of 10
dgorsman

Considering the resources allocated to creating the next release, there wouldn't be much available for a complete rebuild of the icons which would be low on the priority list.  The mention of "updated to support Retina display in the future" is sufficently nebulous, and is usually marketing-speak for "when we release the next version".  With yearly releases there are rarely udpates to previous releases that do more than fix major program-stopping errors.

Of course, those who are aware of the release schedules are not allowed to discuss them.  So release time could be any time now, or not at all.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 10
knmdk
in reply to: dgorsman

In fact they could've done a quick update enabling 32x32 size of ICNS as default images for toolbars. Thus GUI would look crisp and be more usable. 32x32 icons are enough for now.

I guess I'll have to install trial and see if it's possible to apply 32x32 icons to 16x16 state inside CUI. In case someone has got a minute please try doing it and post a screenshot.

Message 8 of 10
maxim_k

Hi,

There is a setting in AutoCAD Preferences, that allow to change icon sizes on ToolSets palette and on Status Bar up to 32x32 pixels.

See attached screenshots.

Screen Shot 2012-12-05 at 15.30.13.png

Screen Shot 2012-12-05 at 15.30.34.png

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 9 of 10
knmdk

Thanks Maxim. But can you double-check if there is any way to customize toolbar icons inside a window similar to CUI command window in AutoCAD for Windows? There you can customize ribbons, toolbars, and icons for any command — does Mac version have such customization features?

Message 10 of 10
maxim_k

CUI dialog in Mac version looks different from Windows one, but here you can assign icons for any predefined or custom commands:

Screen Shot 2012-12-05 at 16.44.02.png

You can use BMP, PNG, ICO, ICNS, TIFF, RLE, DIB file formats.

Once assigned the icon appears at Toolsets palette.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost