AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2012 for Mac compatibility with OSX 10.9 Mavericks

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
jsergeant81
5497 Views, 11 Replies

AutoCAD 2012 for Mac compatibility with OSX 10.9 Mavericks

About to update to OSX 10.9 Mavericks and wanting to make sure my AutoCAD 2012 for Mac will still work.  Any thoughts?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Penderwyd
in reply to: jsergeant81

AutoDesk told me today that they have nothing for 2011, 2012, or 2013 for compatability support for Mevericks.  They said only 2014 will support it.  They want us to pay $835 more than the PC upgrade as well for the upgrade on Mac platform.  Bend over.  Someone in their mohogany row must have told them Mac users like spending more, so they will...

Unreal.

Dave Chiarelli
Message 3 of 12
maxim_k

Welcome to the Autodesk Forums!

Hi,

Can not say anything certain, but it seems that 2012 wouldn’t get update to run on Mavericks, not sure really – maybe I’m not right....

Somebody from Autodesk?

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 4 of 12
Penderwyd
in reply to: maxim_k

Yes. I called customer support today. I of course would like to take advantage of the new OS features. I will say that the CSRs at AutoDesk don't seem very knowledgable at all. But they were clear to me that they would not be patching 2011, 2012, 0r 2013 for use on Mavericks. That seemed to conflict with what I was hearing about 2013, but there you have it.
Dave Chiarelli
Message 5 of 12
pendean
in reply to: Penderwyd

Autodesk is moving to a subscription-only model for AutoCAD by Feb 2015: my guess is the best way to 'encourage' users to sign up is to get you on the 2014 bus first if you want newer shinier MAC OS options.

Either way, you all have a little over a year to get ready so please do so. After the deadline the cost of AutoCAD upgrades for those not on subscription will be full price+subscription entry fees.
Message 6 of 12
inquiry
in reply to: pendean

Really dissappointed in AutoDesk for their obsolescence approach to the Mac platform.  AutoDesk used to support versions for several years backward, with notice of intent to stop providing support.  I purchased AutoCad LT 2012 less than two years ago, and now it is completely obsolete?  Really?  What kind of company abandons their user base like this?

Adobe Illustrator, by the way, can open files and work in them all the way back to Illustrator 3, about twenty years ago.  Its not a technology issue.  Its a marketing and sales issue.  Autodesk, if you rake us over the coals too many times, we'll go somewhere else.

Message 7 of 12
Penderwyd
in reply to: inquiry

Fact. They despise working for their buck. They claim this is the way of all major software, yet the Mac OS updates are involved yet affordable or free for the new content and stability. Your use of Adobe as an example is significant, but this company is broken beyond repair. They believe they have Mac users by the shorts. Where are you going to go? Solid Works is not available for native Mac platform and NX is 12K-16K for a license. So yeah, abandon your Mac and fork out for a PC and Solid Works or fork out for the newest release, right? Well, I for one have stopped giving AutoDesk money. They F'd me once too many. It's their turn to pay. My choice just cost them at least $4K and a thin slice of the market share.

The truth is supporting your software developed for a platform should not be limited to one or two versions (1-2 years of viability) Their heads are enormous to think their software is worth $2K a year! Preposterous!

AutoDesk GFYS!
Dave Chiarelli
Dave Chiarelli
Message 8 of 12
m.abanto

I have Autocad for Mac 2012 installed on a MBP 2011. I upgraded to Mavericks, and so far so good running Autocad 2012 (with the same bugs as before).  I would like to try Autocad for Mac 2014.  Can I install that and still keep 2012 installed?

Message 9 of 12
bdarnell

ACAD 2012 won't run on OS10.9MAV. I wish I knew prior to upgrading for 2014 Sketchup. Now I'm screwed on the ACAD 2012! Ughh. And of course no fix from AUTOdesk. I hate hate hate AUTODESK!!!

Message 10 of 12
bdarnell
in reply to: m.abanto

What is MBP 2011?

Message 11 of 12
maxim_k

Hi,
MBP 2011 is MacBook Pro released in 2011.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 12 of 12
justshutup
in reply to: bdarnell

@bdarnell wrote:

ACAD 2012 won't run on OS10.9MAV. I wish I knew prior to upgrading for 2014 Sketchup. Now I'm screwed on the ACAD 2012! Ughh. And of course no fix from AUTOdesk. I hate hate hate AUTODESK!!!

Then use something else; easy fix.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost