AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2011 for Mac system requirements

113 REPLIES 113
Message 1 of 114
tom.stoeckel
25097 Views, 113 Replies

AutoCAD 2011 for Mac system requirements

Here is a solution about the system requirements for AutoCAD 2011 for Mac as well as how to determine the model of your Mac:

System Requirements for AutoCAD for Mac

Tom Stoeckel
Content Manager
Strategic Content & Community
Autodesk, Inc.
113 REPLIES 113
Message 81 of 114
Robson_civil
in reply to: KIrons

I've also got the X1600 Radeon graphic card.... still seems to be running fine.  I will definitely report any problems I encounter, but so far  since I've updated my OS, I haven't had any.  One thing to consider is that people are more likely to report negative experiences than positive ones, and I can guarantee that for every person reporting problems here there are 500 people running the software with no issues at all....

Message 82 of 114
KIrons
in reply to: Robson_civil

Thanks for the graphic card info and true to the negative posts.  The listing of MacbookPro versions on the system requirement's page by Autodesk simply caught me off guard and 2.2 seemed well below the recommended 5.1 or 6.1.  I thought I'd check around before I upgrade my OS since Parallels works okay.  Glad people post postives.

Message 83 of 114
klawid
in reply to: gopalas

I have the same MacbookPro5,5 unibody here and I got the same thing: after installing, over and over, the only thing I can get is a bouncing icon on the dock with a very very fast flash of a splashscreen.

So, browsing around, I already tried to change the language, updating, downloading again and nothing.... but I saw now on the "knoledge base" the solution for a "AutoCAD for Mac splash screen never closes" and I gave it a try (go on terminal window and type: /Applications/Autodesk/AutoCAD\ 2011/AutoCAD.app/Contents/MacOS/AutoCAD -nologo)

Here's the thing:

On terminal window I got:

-----------------------------------

Claudio-MacBook-Pro:~ claudio$ /Applications/Autodesk/AutoCAD\ 2011/AutoCAD.app/Contents/MacOS/AutoCAD -nologo
2011-01-03 22:00:44.060 defaults[5470:903] 
The domain/default pair of (/Applications/Autodesk/AutoCAD 2011/AutoCAD.app/Contents/info, company) does not exist
2011-01-03 22:00:44.071 defaults[5472:903] 
The domain/default pair of (/Applications/Autodesk/AutoCAD 2011/AutoCAD.app/Contents/info, CFBundleName) does not exist

-----------------------------------

with that message the icon keeps bouncing and it just freezes there, nothing more happens. When I quit terminal, the icon stops.

Am I missing something on the installation? Because I think there's something missing on my folders!

Many thanks and I appreciate your help,

Claudio.

Message 84 of 114
klawid
in reply to: klawid

Guys,

I realized that, in my case, the problem was that my hd was set for "Mac OS Extended CASE-SENSITIVE-Journaled".

AutoCAD and Adobe applications do not function properly on those file type HDs.

You just have to format your HD and with the Disc Utility choose only "journaled". If don't want to erase all your data, create a partition formated like that just to install AutoCAD (remember to choose that partition when installing it again).

Hope it helps someone.

See ya!

Message 85 of 114

Hi,

It seems that I have installed AutoCAD on an unsupported MacPro (3.1). I guess this would explain the countless crashes i've experienced? When I installed, the installer stated 'This package will run a program to determine if the software can be installed' It installed fine so i assumed all was OK system-wise. Is my only option to revert my licence back to windows?

Thanks

nige.

Message 86 of 114
brookslzicar
in reply to: tom.stoeckel

Here is what I'm running and I still cannot install this software.

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac11,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i3

Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5670

Capacity: 1 TB (1,000,204,886,016 bytes)

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.4 

Message 87 of 114
aidinnaimi
in reply to: tom.stoeckel

IM using student version of autocad for Mac,I've download the update1 file,but when i wanna install it this error would appear:

""This version for AutoCAD 2011 for Mac requires Leopard with minimum version 10.5.8 or Snow Leopard with minimum version 10.6.4.""

my mac version is "Mac pro OS X version 10.6.3" 

Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2

Is there any way to update it?

Message 88 of 114
d-web

The Software Update in the System Preferences should update you to OSX 10.6.6

Message 89 of 114
webgain
in reply to: pheyser

thanks for posting help about autocad requirement for

mac pc.

Message 90 of 114
cda182
in reply to: webgain

Long term AUTOCAD user, very happy with MAC release and downloaded the trial verison onto my new iMAC, simply not worth the effort, all this chat about system specifications is complete stonewalling by AUTODesk, the update make what was a poor product now completly useless, having spoken to several architectural practices the release for the MAC is seen a an expensive joke.

Far easier to run VMware with a windows copy of AUTOCAd LT, stable and works. Why pay more for a product that causes loss of income and non billable time!!!!!!

Message 91 of 114
mxmoore

Sadly and regrettably - I must agree.....I am SO furious! I have made mention of this previously - here it is again....my first version of AutoCAD was 1.4 - StoneAge release. You couldn't BUY a mouse back then - taught myself how to draw with AutoCAD by using only the keyboard.....became as AutoCAD dealer (for about 2 years)....have taught AutoCAD all levels at college and technical schools - still do. In 2007 moved over to MAC - except for ACAD....used Bootcamp/Vmware - worked....although cumbersomely in some ways. Was asked to become a Beta tester for ACAD for MAC - did so, GoldBeta.....

worked exclusively w/MAC from June forwards.....reporting weekly back to ACAD engineers - was excited, proud to be a part of something special.....then along comes the first update after release.....dutifully went to install on my MacBook Pro (2007 model) and my MacPro (2008 model 2 TB HD, 6Gb RAM....awesome machine) WOULD NOT INSTALL! My systems all of a sudden did not meet the NEW hardware standards for the MAC version.....whaaaa? I had, by that time purchased a MAC copy......because it was produced prior to the first update, it instatlled - it works - on both systems. But I'm now completely

isolated - cannot upgrade.....stuck - with nowhere togo. Insanely great? Well, the MAC is, yes - but Autodesk? Merely insane.....imho

Message 92 of 114
DanClark66

I am sorry to hear so many negative posts from guys who have alot more experience with AutoCAD than myself, but please consider that not everyone is in your position.

I am a student. I own one computer and it is a Mac Laptop.

I don't have the money to buy another computer.

So, I spent several hours and remained patient and eventually I was able to download this software.

To be honest, I am quite happy that a student version is available.

When I enter the professional world, there is no doubt that my employer will be using AutoCAD for a PC, but the only way I am going to land that job is because of this AutoCAD for Mac.

Thanks.

Message 93 of 114
cda182
in reply to: mxmoore

Interesting to see that at least one person has a version that works!!!!!!!!!!, several words of advice do not install the service patch, do not right click and enquire about properties and do not expect the MAC version to perform the same as a PC version!!!!!!

My I respectfully suggest that if you are intending to learn AUTOCAD for the commercial market that you invest in VM ware and a student copy of LT for Windows, this would be time better spent and not leave you with sitting in front of an employer stating that your AUTOCAD knwoledge is MAC based!!!!!!. No many employers are going to pay upwards of £4k for a software package that is so unstable it does not work, most opt for the LT version and a Windows platform.

The move over to the MAC is due to the platform being better than Windows.

Message 94 of 114
RealAbstract
in reply to: cda182

Is there an older version of AutoCAD for mac?  I was excited to see I can get a student version free for school... but not to happy to read I have to buy a new laptop. Thanks for any help...   😞

RealAbstract.com
Message 95 of 114
d-web
in reply to: RealAbstract

The last Autocad version for mac was sometime last century. Unfortunately, unless you have a really old Mac, it won't run. And trying to find the complete set of application diskettes may be very difficult.

Message 96 of 114
DanClark66

The above post is 100% NOT correct.
I use AutoCAD for Mac on the latest macBook Pro 13" on the market.

Message 97 of 114
d-web
in reply to: DanClark66

RealAbstract was asking about an older version of Autocad for the Mac (which would be version 13 as I recall) than the current 2011 version. Also that would be a Mac version, not a PC version running on Parallels or other emulator.

What version are you are running on your Macbook Pro?

Message 98 of 114
RealAbstract

So seeing that I'm not upgrading from my old MacBook anytime soon....  I'm off to see if I can find a version that will work on windows XP.   (beginning student class work only )

thanks!

RealAbstract.com
Message 99 of 114
mxmoore

To the best of my knowledge, any ACAD version works on XP......

why would you think differently?

Message 100 of 114
klphotos

I have a Macbook Pro 5.2 with 8 gigs and MacPro 3.1 with 10 gigs ram (2008) and Autocad runs pretty well on both. The update does casue problems with plotting but it runs on both computers. While the mac version does not run anywhere near as well as the other mac programs I run, i find it runs better then the windows versions that I use. It is more frustrating to have so many missing commands and from that stand point it may be better to learn on a windows version.

I have since uninstalled the program and reinstalled the program with out the update (twice) since the update wrecks my ablity to print or create pdf's.

Kevin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost